What's new

Strategy Crossover defense

why are people mentioning njp as anti cross ups, its not an option. it is a move that just happens to cover cross up defence as well, the problem is njp is done on read and not on reaction. some time ago I had some guy tell me reptile had great cross up defence because he could njp.

edit: the best options are often character specific, the best options imo are:

fast standing jabs with good hitbox: kung lao standing 2, liu kang standing 2, sektor standing 1

other character specific moves are mileena roll, kung lao spin

some d1's seem better than others, smokes d1 seems really consistent

Dashing under is best

NJP is a read and cant be done on reaction most of the time
correction not most of the time, you can never do it on reaction, how is it even possible to beat someone who jumped already, with your own jump. I hate it when people say use njp as an anti crossups

Universal tactics:
-njp
-jump back punch/kick
-forward dash (except Reptile)

Character specific:
-d1 aa
-uppercut
-d3/d4
-walking forward (e.g Cage, Kenshi, etc.)
-armor
-fast normals
-specials

correction not most of the time, you can never do it on reaction, how is it even possible to beat someone who jumped already, with your own jump. I hate it when people say use njp as an anti crossups
Remember your opponent has to wait on a crossover before they punch/kick or their character won't turn around. The njp done in it's early to mid frames will always come out faster than a crossover.

I use njp as an air-to-air. In that situation it can be used in a more reactive way IMO.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Smarrgasm can't Rain absorb all crossovers with ex rh just like kenshi and Kabal?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
NJP and D1 for cross overs is way too risky. Online you can get away with the whiff NJP. But offline you will get whiff punished and jump kicks usually beat out the NJP. D1 on cross ups is pretty inconsistent and a lot of times will get you blown up. The best bet is to just use brain dead armor if your character has it lol or dash out of the way.
you aren't takin into consideration that there are no recovery frames if i don't NJP.... and yeah you can see someone not jump if you make a bad read....
Jumping is just TOO powerful against 90% of the cast, and you can't "practice" the defense unless you have a good sparing partner that'll just sweep cross up until you figure out the timing. god training for this game is awful.

avoiding crossovers are good, but why wouldnt you want to take the opportunity to punish them for full combo if you have a good anti crossover move?

Playing as Kenshi, I always utilize reverse input SC as being automatic in my brain. When I do NJP and input it too early (ESPECIALLY ONLINE), I end up doing Kenshi's 111 and get blown up by a full combo while looking like a retard at the same time.

GhosT

Noob
I have the same issue, D1's are not so bad offline but i really get blown up a lot going for d1's online, i need to practice dashing thru crossovers beacause my characters have excellent specials to anti air if i ever got good at dashing out of it.

Also i wanna say some of the lower hitbox characters can just crouch and let the jip whiff. this can get you blown up too but i have seen it used against me a couple times. Obviously a JIK will hit regardless

So people have normals that helmet their cross up.
Shangs b1 and f2
Sonya's d2 and various other upper cuts. Sonya's b3 and 21b3 auto correct
Cyrax second hit of 121
Jax second hit of f4 1
Sindel u4 and b2

Some guys have an easy time poking cross ups standing, which is the only way to AA a cross up jump kick.
Jax 1
Shang 1
Kitanas 2
Sindels 1

Just a few examples.
The only real advice is practice

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Smarrgasm can't Rain absorb all crossovers with ex rh just like kenshi and Kabal?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yea its a bit trickier to do but it is very useful when you can land it. Instead of wating and doing ExRH after the crossover you just have to use it as they jump and dash the opposite direction and anti air them for full combo. A lot of times i get sweep though which is a buzz kill.

So people have normals that helmet their cross up.
Shangs b1 and f2
Sonya's d2 and various other upper cuts. Sonya's b3 and 21b3 auto correct
Cyrax second hit of 121
Jax second hit of f4 1
Sindel u4 and b2

Some guys have an easy time poking cross ups standing, which is the only way to AA a cross up jump kick.
Jax 1
Shang 1
Kitanas 2
Sindels 1

Just a few examples.
The only real advice is practice
Liu Kang's standing 2 beats crossovers.

Yea its a bit trickier to do but it is very useful when you can land it. Instead of wating and doing ExRH after the crossover you just have to use it as they jump and dash the opposite direction and anti air them for full combo. A lot of times i get sweep though which is a buzz kill.
Doesn't geyser kick work if you don't wanna spend meter?

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Doesn't geyser kick work if you don't wanna spend meter?
Geyser is a lot harder to do on reaction it would have to be a pretty sick read. On wake up crossovers it works like a gem. The problem with doing it while they pressure is the chance that your inputs get mixed and a bubble magically comes out. And well we all know what happens then...

Geyser is a lot harder to do on reaction it would have to be a pretty sick read. On wake up crossovers it works like a gem. The problem with doing it while they pressure is the chance that your inputs get mixed and a bubble magically comes out. And well we all know what happens then...
lol damn that sucks!

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I ex nut punch. I am tired of trying to dash, down 1, and uppercut. I say fuck it, waste a bar of meter and I usually get the meter back in no time anyway.

coolwhip

Noob
I for one am free to crossovers. It has always been my weakness and I have lost many games because of it.

So what is the best crossover defense?

1) Armor attack: NW eh choke, Kenshi eh shoulder or eh rising kharma, Sonya eh cartwheel. This is the braindead answer.
2) D1 attacks are known for being generally good AA with 90% consistency. Nobody is 100% consistent. In fact I see people getting blown up for attempting this...good players too.
3) Jump at the last second so the jip hits you while airborn. This makes their followup attack drop and you get out.
4) Neutral Jump Punch

But the one tactic that isn't talked about much is the dash under. If makes a a terrible crossover move a great one. Like for example NW axe. On reaction to a crossover you cant just do axe the opposite way, you have to dash out then cancel the dash with the reverse input axe. Then It works nicely.

This is what pig does with Kenshi. A character who was thought to me mid tier because of his terrible crossover defense. With a simple dash, pig made Kenshi the hardest character to jump on. you cant jump in, over, around, or under (unlesss your @evil ryu 48 with a dive kick)

So I want this thread to bring attantion and some discussion to this tactic
Nice thread.

Crossovers are extremely overpowered in this game, and that's a fact.

In addition to the defenses you mentioned, I would add the following:

5) Uppercut with certain characters like Sonya.
6) D3 to lower your hitbox. This too is character specific and depends on the animation of the D3. For characters like Mileena and even Kung Lao, it works great. Someone like Liu Kang gets blown up (or even Cage, who despite having a small hitbox, it isn't significantly lowered by the D3).

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I ex nut punch. I am tired of trying to dash, down 1, and uppercut. I say fuck it, waste a bar of meter and I usually get the meter back in no time anyway.
I find cages uppercut is good against crossovers, even jumpkicks, otherwise I just dash out and b3 ( which I can do on reaction if I am looking for the crossover, if that makes any sense) but ex nutpunch is good when you get caught off guard.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
D1 for anti air crossovers don't even work. You time your JIP they can't do shit. In order to affectively stop a crossover is ex with armor or the cyrax and jax anti airs