What's new

Strategy Crossover defense

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I for one am free to crossovers. It has always been my weakness and I have lost many games because of it.

So what is the best crossover defense?

1) Armor attack: NW eh choke, Kenshi eh shoulder or eh rising kharma, Sonya eh cartwheel. This is the braindead answer.
2) D1 attacks are known for being generally good AA with 90% consistency. Nobody is 100% consistent. In fact I see people getting blown up for attempting this...good players too.
3) Jump at the last second so the jip hits you while airborn. This makes their followup attack drop and you get out.
4) Neutral Jump Punch

But the one tactic that isn't talked about much is the dash under. If makes a a terrible crossover move a great one. Like for example NW axe. On reaction to a crossover you cant just do axe the opposite way, you have to dash out then cancel the dash with the reverse input axe. Then It works nicely.

This is what pig does with Kenshi. A character who was thought to me mid tier because of his terrible crossover defense. With a simple dash, pig made Kenshi the hardest character to jump on. you cant jump in, over, around, or under (unlesss your @evil ryu 48 with a dive kick)

So I want this thread to bring attantion and some discussion to this tactic

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
This is the number one reason I play Kung Lao. My anti air game is weak with any character that uses a normal to AA so I've used his spin to cover that weakness of mine.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
D1 crossup defense is so spotty online. With practice and patience I think it is the method that pays off the most. With Cage I try to dash away from the cross up and B3. With Smoke I am not sure how dashing under is going to help him much...I usually just try to d1 and convert to SB...or again dash away and if they whiff an attack you can B23.

zaf

professor
L0rdoftheFLY

This was something Jer and i were working on. Ill try to make a video or something

But.... There is a way to dash under Cross ups, and its like a super dash. For it to work, your character needs to be facing the direction your opponent jumped from. If your character turns around from the cross up its way to late.

Ths first person i ever seen doing dashes under cross ups was cd sr.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
L0rdoftheFLY

This was something Jer and i were working on. Ill try to make a video or something

But.... There is a way to dash under Cross ups, and its like a super dash. For it to work, your character needs to be facing the direction your opponent jumped from. If your character turns around from the cross up its way to late.

Ths first person i ever seen doing dashes under cross ups was cd sr.
dashes forward are further than dashes backward. You need to dash before they cross the midline on your body. Thats awesome you should make a video.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
When are the crossups happening?
Like ... on wakeup? after a string?

I know that i've started just NJPing on "wakeup" and it typically catches people on either side, as it looks like it autocorrects at the same speed if done really quickly.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

I know that i've started just NJPing on "wakeup" and it typically catches people on either side, as it looks like it autocorrects at the same speed if done really quickly.
in general. yes I meant to put NJP also but I forgot.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think dashing under is the one universal tactic that makes all other tactics effective and can be 100% effective if practiced.

i don't think dashing under crossups is exactly universal, since reptile's normal dash is ass

using pokes (like shang with d3) to lower your hitbox is another way to defend against them, you missed that

zaf

professor
dashes forward are further than dashes backward. You need to dash before they cross the midline on your body. Thats awesome you should make a video.
No i know, that's what i was saying.

Dash under the cross up in general.

I think the reason we dont see njp in tourney as much as other AA options is because that too isnt always guaranteed.

You could be hit while neutral jumping or you could even do everything right but lose in a trade because of player 1 adv

ryublaze

Noob
Some characters can d3 (i think shang and skarlet) but with skarlet d1 gets you a combo. You could possibly d3 then f4 into full combo while they're recovering from the whiffed jip, not sure though.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
d1'ing with Sheeva is awful her ginormous hitbox gets her hit before she can poke people half the time, I'm better off trying for a reverse air grab at least with scrubby online.

Death

Noob
NJP and D1 for cross overs is way too risky. Online you can get away with the whiff NJP. But offline you will get whiff punished and jump kicks usually beat out the NJP. D1 on cross ups is pretty inconsistent and a lot of times will get you blown up. The best bet is to just use brain dead armor if your character has it lol or dash out of the way.