What's new

Match Footage Critique my skarlet

So I've been working on skarlet for about a 2 weeks and I'm really enjoying her. I recorded some matches today, most of which were lagers but I did match up with someone and we had some good matches so I thought I'd post them and let you fellas tell me what I do well, bad, and generally just blow me up.

1. I'm still dropping some combos as to be expected.
2. I feel I'm not using her meter enough in pressure strings.

What else can you tell me?

L0rdoftheFLY
Ninj
Eddy Wang
MoonSpell
Johnny2d
Flagg
RedRaptor10
Mosp
@ anyone I missed
Wow more skarlet players than I thought..

Also yes this was filmed on my phone and no I didn't record audio as I had the volume down anyway do to sleeping children. It'd be weird to hear me cracking fingers and sipping on coffee in an empty room so just throw on some tunes or something.

First video is sketchy in the beginning as I've been playing offline and needed to adjust but I did so pretty quickly..

Second video is vs. Cyrax and rain matches I don't think I've ever played with skarlet..

Thanks for watching

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I've watched first video and the second. I gotta say there are tones of things you need to work on. Starting from fundamentals through pressure, punishers getting to know the dash/slide range, meter management, general game play, footsies...

Keep on updating the videos - I will bring in my soon. Good luck!

I've watched first video and the second. I gotta say there are tones of things you need to work on. Starting from fundamentals through pressure, punishers getting to know the dash/slide range, meter management, general game play, footsies...

Keep on updating the videos - I will bring in my soon. Good luck!
Haha right that's what I mean, I'm looking to know what ppl do in those situations. Some things I know like f4 for most punishes, using 114 into ex dagger for pressure etc. Just isn't natural yet.

Feel free to tell me what you do different in footsies, etc.

Also yeah I'm way off on the distances of things at this point but that'll come.

#IamMuffinMuggers

Flagg

Noob
I haven't used her in some time. She is probably my favourite character to play as, but you may have discovered she is not online friendly and I was getting sick of dropping combos fighting people online. That said, for 2 weeks work, that looks pretty solid! I noticed you were on a PS3 there, but give these guys a go on XBL if you want some Skarlet mirrors with people that know how to use her:

xarakamaka, fr stack

Also, watch this video of a really great set between Pig and Scar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=iWU3H4duRpc&feature=endscreen

Okay it wont let me embed, but I was literally just watching this, this evening and then I saw your thread, Treadmill. Hope it helps, gives you an idea of what this bitch can do once she starts moving.

Try and get into the habit of abusing her F212, 1+2 on jip. She builds meter like crazy.

Her pressure is practically on par with Cage, KL and Kabal up close and I think she has the best armour in the game. I still think she is top 5 and easily the best female character in the game. I'd like to really try and focus on her again but right now im trying to level up Rain and Freddy.

I haven't used her in some time. She is probably my favourite character to play as, but you may have discovered she is not online friendly and I was getting sick of dropping combos fighting people online. That said, for 2 weeks work, that looks pretty solid! I noticed you were on a PS3 there, but give these guys a go on XBL if you want some Skarlet mirrors with people that know how to use her:

xarakamaka, fr stack

Also, watch this video of a really great set between Pig and Scar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=iWU3H4duRpc&feature=endscreen

Okay it wont let me embed, but I was literally just watching this, this evening and then I saw your thread, Treadmill. Hope it helps, gives you an idea of what this bitch can do once she starts moving.

Try and get into the habit of abusing her F212, 1+2 on jip. She builds meter like crazy.

Her pressure is practically on par with Cage, KL and Kabal up close and I think she has the best armour in the game. I still think she is top 5 and easily the best female character in the game. I'd like to really try and focus on her again but right now im trying to level up Rain and Freddy.
Thanks man ill def watch.

Yeah online is hard with her. Her and kitana are the hardest for me to play online.

Yeah that's one of a thousand things I need to work on, f2121+2 needs to be used more. Thanks.

#IamMuffinMuggers

ryublaze

Noob
0:40 never do red slide after a standing reset cuz if the slide hits it's scaled (only does like 3-4%). do a 1,1,4 or 2,1,2 blockstring instead and mix it up with ex downslashes or throws (if u do 2,1,2)

1:18 u got a bit careless with meter

1:55 make sure ur confirming whether the opponent's blocking or not when ur doing ex red dash. u could have stopped and threw him or chipped him away with blockstring

2:47 i would find a better up slash combo

7:43 you couldve added more damage with b1,1,f4 for corner combo

2nd video:
3:43 avoid doing f4 after any blocked jip. better to do 1,1,4 linked to ex dagger or f2,1,2,1+2 and hit confirm f2,1 into rd~ds

Treadmill ur in killas A squad right? we can play some when i get back to mk9 in 1 1/2 weeks.

0:40 never do red slide after a standing reset cuz if the slide hits it's scaled (only does like 3-4%). do a 1,1,4 or 2,1,2 blockstring instead and mix it up with ex downslashes or throws (if u do 2,1,2)

1:55 make sure ur confirming whether the opponent's blocking or not when ur doing ex red dash. u could have stopped and threw him or chipped him away with blockstring

2nd video:
3:43 avoid doing f4 after any blocked jip. better to do 1,1,4 linked to ex dagger or f2,1,2,1+2 and hit confirm f2,1 into rd~ds

Treadmill ur in killas A squad right? we can play some when i get back to mk9 in 1 1/2 weeks.
thanks for the input! Yes I was sHaking my head after burning to meters in 4 secs haha. These are very good points. I need to work on ups lash combos for sure and my air to air punch combos, I was just making shit up ahah. In time I should be able to do the things you listed on instinct and not try to remember what I'm supposed to do. Jip f4 is stupid I thought that when I went back and watched. And as for the corner combo I always always eff up the inputs with negative edge and get a teleport because I rush it.
Yeah
I'm in killas a squad mang! I'd love to play. My reptile is light years better than my skarlet but in time she will catch up. Thanks for tHe pointers. I'm going to try and record more soon to update the o.p. as well.

Saltea Moonspell

Treadmill

I will try to give You a simple breakdown on how to go against certain characters at entry level imo.

I think you should learn from the fresh start to avoid close kombat (if not necessary) unless you have at least one bar - specially with characters like Sonya, Cage, Kabal and that is because Skarlet is great rusher but only with meter loaded.

Now with good zoners its harder for me, since Skarlet is bad at trading (the damage makes the war tight).
Getting in is either dashing with d3 and moving in with ex rd into us or ex rd into slide (depends on opponents projectile recovery) and then either apply pressure or bait WA once you get him knocked down.
If you get the life lead you can try to back off to lure then to come to you and either punish them with rd slide/f43 or AA into combo reset.
Occasionally you can try teleport but its squeeze not worth the juice imo.

I'd recommend less jumping - this is suicide with good pokers ( lucky you these guys had poor AA's).
With daggers toss you can work your way in along with red dash. Try to spending the meter on reaction more then possible read - It requires fast reaction but its wiser since Skarlet really need those bars and you toss away your meter many times - havin maybe bad read.

Thats all from my experience for now - we have here some very talented players who will fill you up with more reliable info.
Within time you will developed your own way of fighting certain MU basing on your skills.

Treadmill

I will try to give You a simple breakdown on how to go against certain characters at entry level imo.

I think you should learn from the fresh start to avoid close kombat (if not necessary) unless you have at least one bar - specially with characters like Sonya, Cage, Kabal and that is because Skarlet is great rusher but only with meter loaded.

Now with good zoners its harder for me, since Skarlet is bad at trading (the damage makes the war tight).
Getting in is either dashing with d3 and moving in with ex rd into us or ex rd into slide (depends on opponents projectile recovery) and then either apply pressure or bait WA once you get him knocked down.
If you get the life lead you can try to back off to lure then to come to you and either punish them with rd slide/f43 or AA into combo reset.
Occasionally you can try teleport but its squeeze not worth the juice imo.

I'd recommend less jumping - this is suicide with good pokers ( lucky you these guys had poor AA's).
With daggers toss you can work your way in along with red dash. Try to spending the meter on reaction more then possible read - It requires fast reaction but its wiser since Skarlet really need those bars and you toss away your meter many times - havin maybe bad read.

Thats all from my experience for now - we have here some very talented players who will fill you up with more reliable info.
Within time you will developed your own way of fighting certain MU basing on your skills.
Thanks. I agree I jumped too much. That's a product of online. Offline I don't so much plus with a new character it happensmore haha.

#IamMuffinMuggers

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Stop teleporting.

Do use F2,1,2,1+2 after JiP if you aren't sure whether you're going to hit them or not. Worst case, you deal 12% damage and build half a bar of meter.

You commit to combos all the time without knowing if they're going to hit. Online it doesn't really matter because the lag is going to save you a lot of the time. Offline you will get blown out of the water by anyone who understands Skarlet's key frame data.

You don't put people into blockstring pressure with empty dashes. Skarlet doesn't have the fastest normals in the game, but they're not terribly slow either. Use the threat of EX Dash during blockstring pressure to condition your opponent to block. You want your opponent to block your strings all day long, over and over, and be scared to do anything.

Ninj

Go into practice mode and practice getting your timing down on empty dash's into B1,1,F4, 1,1,2, 1,1,4, and F2,1,2,1+2. Learn the animations for when Skarlet is done with her recovery frames of empty red dash so you can perform them quickly. Red Dash has a duration of 29 frames. B1 is a 14 frame execution move, but it's only 14 frames when you nail it on the first frame you're available to do the move. By delaying the move, your B1 could effectively turn from 14 frames in 16, 18, 20? That'll cost you.

Ninj

Then practice EX dagger cancelling. Leave the computer on stand block and practice cancelling 1,1,4 into EX dagger cancel into F2,1,2,1+2 EX dagger cancel into 1,1,2 EX dagger cancel into B1,1,F4, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, forever.

Literally forever. As long as you can stand it.

Stop teleporting.

Do use F2,1,2,1+2 after JiP if you aren't sure whether you're going to hit them or not. Worst case, you deal 12% damage and build half a bar of meter.

You commit to combos all the time without knowing if they're going to hit. Online it doesn't really matter because the lag is going to save you a lot of the time. Offline you will get blown out of the water by anyone who understands Skarlet's key frame data.

You don't put people into blockstring pressure with empty dashes. Skarlet doesn't have the fastest normals in the game, but they're not terribly slow either. Use the threat of EX Dash during blockstring pressure to condition your opponent to block. You want your opponent to block your strings all day long, over and over, and be scared to do anything.
Thanks man good tips.

Also to be fair 50% of my teleports are accidental haha

#IamMuffinMuggers

Btw, I really enjoy playing this character and plan on scowering all the info you gents have put on here

#IamMuffinMuggers

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

2nd video:

ex downslash is fully punishable though right? shouldnt be just thrown out there

ryublaze

Noob
ex downslash is fully punishable though right? shouldnt be just thrown out there
Yeah it should rarely be used but since ur opponent fears blocking low then he'll start blocking high so you can do ex dagger blockstrings. I usually do 1,1,4 or 2,1,2 after standing resets. Your opponent will have to guess twice: after the standing reset or after the blockstring used after it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yeah it should rarely be used but since ur opponent fears blocking low then he'll start blocking high so you can do ex dagger blockstrings. I usually do 1,1,4 or 2,1,2 after standing resets. Your opponent will have to guess twice: after the standing reset or after the blockstring used after it.
why 212?

ryublaze

Noob
Think of it like Sub-Zero's b1,2,1 throw/ 2,1,2 mix-up. Skarlet can either throw or 2,1,red dash~up slash into combo. The thing about using 2,1 instead of 1,1,4 after standing resets is that it's 2 frames slower than standing 1, so if you're off by a frame or two then your opponent can armor out (this depends on the bnb combo ur using).

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Think of it like Sub-Zero's b1,2,1 throw/ 2,1,2 mix-up. Skarlet can either throw or 2,1,red dash~up slash into combo. The thing about using 2,1 instead of 1,1,4 after standing resets is that it's 2 frames slower than standing 1, so if you're off by a frame or two then your opponent can armor out (this depends on the bnb combo ur using).
except subzero is forced to do that, skarlet can go crazy with blockstrings

ryublaze

Noob
except subzero is forced to do that, skarlet can go crazy with blockstrings
Yeah I usually don't do the throw mix-up cuz I'm giving up guaranteed blockstrings, but Skarlet's damage output is a lot higher than Sub's and she can end with a standing reset while Sub only gets his 212 ice ball combo.

AssassiN

Noob
Mulitple reasons, most you can get out of 114 is actually performing the string and having the off chance they don't know the MU and try to poke.
Gets you 12% damage without the ability to go into a more damaging combo.

212 has more cancel advantage then anything from 114, allows combo from 21 and 212(both hitconfirmable).
2 has the most cancel advantage you'll find with Skarlet and let's ERD(Empty Red Dash) be -3 on block, which is a freaking godsend for her.
2 is 0 on block, creates a little space between the both of you and following that with a F4 allows it to whiff punish any D1's or D3's.

So you just have more mix-ups with 212 and possibility to heavily punish attempts at poking or jumping out.
114 can punish jumpers more heavily than pokers, but 212 just in general is a better string to use. Certainly because the 2 is extremely high and whiffs easily, gotta take advantage of what you can get.

Saltea Moonspell

decided to not bother with this character, doesnt suit my playstyle at all.
Well, play style and execution between her and Sub is like difference between beer and 40% vodka.
Sometime i curse the day i picked her up, but I dont play Kabal any more as I use to and she's a challenge.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well, play style and execution between her and Sub is like difference between beer and 40% vodka.
Sometime i curse the day i picked her up, but I dont play Kabal any more as I use to and she's a challenge.
her executions not that hard, you give little to do the easiest combos anyways

her playstyle i really dont like, fishing for shit isnt how i play

Saltea Moonspell

her executions not that hard, you give little to do the easiest combos anyways

her playstyle i really dont like, fishing for shit isnt how i play
Well, for most - and me she is demanding execution wise. Small windows for inpts etc. Perhaps you posses High execution skill my friend. And Sub may not be equal, but I might be wrong here. And I kinda dont get what You had in mind sayin' "fishing for shit" but it dosent matter anyway I guess.
More less, there are few who dose operate Skarlet, but online its pain in the ass, so maybe thats why there are few who decides not to bother.