What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Quan Chi Creating our evil plan- Quan chi's matchup discussion-to take over netherrealm

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
An vortex.
Yeah he wants that but his normals kinda suck so getting in to setup the vortext is difficult. So is his gameplan zone until vortex can be done. If so fine. If not does he have any sort of gameplan where he wants to get in their face or have a range outside of full screen that he would like?

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
You guys are so cute. I'm still just trolling about the grammar errors but tbh I appreciate the dedication and I'm gonna leave y'all to your matchup discussions without any further interruption.

And I will add that I'd think Warlock would want to play a more patient game so he can get his vortex going off of things like b2 whiff punishes and njp's and shit. That way he can use his meter for the vortex rather than the mb runes his other variations would be using to start their mixups/own vortex with. Probably. Seems more meter starved to me at least.

My main is Summoner and we all know the nightmare he can be against most of the cast. Rush Down characters, however, seem to be his Achilles heel. For example, Jax, D'vorah, Cassie, Sonya, etc all wreck Summoner's shit when backed into a corner. You have to make solid reads into combos/grab if found in this position or you can say "Fuck it" and go with Sorcerer in these MUs. I still don't have all of the MU experience to breakdown individual MUs but for me Sorcerer seems like the way to go against Rush Down fighters. After a midscreen combo, ending in 141, I set my Armor Rune/Spell, and start heavy zoning. Once they get close use the armor to blow them up. Think MK9 Kenshi but you have armored strings instead of just armored specials. In the corner it you have to be careful, especially against Kung Lao as Wake Up Spin seems to annihilate the Armor Rune/Spell.

With that said, I have NO experience with Warlock which begs the question.........Should I go ahead and learn this variation? What MUs would this variation cover?

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
So I was wondering about what you guy's thought of the Goro matchup for Quan in summoner?
Goro is bad at moving in, so zone him hard. You can OS his telestomp with a well timed backdash but it's easier to just run when he does it. His projectile is a bit slow to startup so it shouldn't be too much trouble. It's also a high.

If you are in the range of his punchwalk, his EXPW will stuff everything Quan has so beware of that. He's also pretty safe of most of his strings. Basically you will win if you can successfully zone him out.

macro

Eezeepeezee
Goro is bad at moving in, so zone him hard. You can OS his telestomp with a well timed backdash but it's easier to just run when he does it. His projectile is a bit slow to startup so it shouldn't be too much trouble. It's also a high.

If you are in the range of his punchwalk, his EXPW will stuff everything Quan has so beware of that. He's also pretty safe of most of his strings. Basically you will win if you can successfully zone him out.
Well mainly I've been playing against Bipolar's Goro with sorcerer Quan. And I'm not sure how to deal with the punch walk even with the armor aura, so I was wondering if it was easier to pick summoner then sorcerer.

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
Well mainly I've been playing against Bipolar's Goro with sorcerer Quan. And I'm not sure how to deal with the punch walk even with the armor aura, so I was wondering if it was easier to pick summoner then sorcerer.
Only advice I can give is that his punchwalk is like scorpion's teleport. You have to be conscious of it all the time because it stuffs a lot of things.

Right now I think that Summoner is the better choice in almost every MU. I think heavy rushdown characters with fast multihitting strings like Jax, Cage (fisty cuffs) or Erron Black make Sorcerers armor useless as well. And if you can't get the bat out against them, you certainly won't be able to put out spells. Summoner can at least zone better without prior set ups. Maybe Warlock could help against some relentless rushdown and oki with his armored scoop and stab, but I haven't explored him much.
As I understand you shouldn't use meter with Warlock for Ex Stab to set up a vortex. I don't think it adds enough damage to use it over meterless vortex set ups (like Jip f21 after trance). I will start looking into this variation but I think meter should only be spent on MB Rune for safe footsies and safe vortex or on armor on Ex Scoop on wake up and to blow up gaps in other character's strings. I imaging ex stab can be used rarely as a counter zoning tool.

Edit: but Sorcerers armor still does wonders against rushdown without many multihitting strings and against single hit teleports. I wouldn't say his Rune Trap is better than what Summoner does in vortex, but I do think the new combos with MB trance and spells inside them have some crazy potential.

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
What do you guys do against Cassie?

Specifically, what is the best option against that advancing string of hers (I think its b124)? Njp works but cannot be done reactively. Doing it pre-emptively i's only an ok option imo - risk reward isn't particularly skewed in your favor, as she can trip guard you / get in during your landing frames if she suspects it.

What do you do in the counterpoking game? Is jumping out better than actually counterpoking?

How do you get out of the corner? I realize it's hard, but what are your tactics for doing so?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!

Specifically, what is the best option against that advancing string of hers (I think its b124)? Njp works but cannot be done reactively. Doing it pre-emptively i's only an ok option imo - risk reward isn't particularly skewed in your favor, as she can trip guard you / get in during your landing frames if she suspects it.

What do you do in the counterpoking game? Is jumping out better than actually counterpoking?

How do you get out of the corner? I realize it's hard, but what are your tactics for doing so?
You can backdash after the 2 in her advancing string then just try to get some space and gain momentum with a MbRune. Zoning is obviously the best bet but its getting the space thats the tricky part. Also try to end combos with 141 as this gives you enough time to Summon Puggles if you're Summoner or get Armour up if you're Sorceror.

In the counterpoking game most Cassie's seem to try to poke after they do a B12 or B124, this is your time to either try to counterpoke or backdash. If the Cassie reads this and starts going for more pressure then I think you can counterpoke immediately after the initial string. Trying to get a backdash in the counterpoking game also helps a lot, the backdash is really important with Quan as it can help him get out of a lot of pressure and help him establish his own momentum.

Finally I just try to counterpoke with a D3 when I'm in the corner, then either go for a 50/50, throw or if you're feeling ballsy a jumpover, but her ExFlipkick is a great anti crossup tool so it has to be done on a very good read.

The Magician

According to my sources...

Always counter poke with D3 after Cassie does a string and they try to go for a d1, d3, or d4. I played against Michaelangelo's Quan, as well as YAMS and back dashing helps a lot in this matchup for you guys. Quan's NJP beats out most of cassie's strings, especially her b12, so try bait them into an NJP.

In the corner, d3 is your best option, and can only really be used if the cassie messes up her pressure (which happens often). Baiting them into an NJP is extremely strong in the corner since its hitbox is so big.

Also don't try to cross her up or jump into her, as her standing 1 has priority over pretty much anything

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks