What's new

Creating a New Corner Set up

Seapeople

This one's for you
I've found some new set ups that should improve Reptile's corner game.
Any feedback, comments, criticism, etc would be really helpful

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Set up #1: "The Corner Escape"
The basic idea of this setup is to put space between yourself and the opponent while leaving Reptile at advantage for a variety of follow ups.

Using a corner escape does 4-5% less than the normal BnBs.

Here are three ways you can do it:
-Right corner specific:
jip 321 elbow dash, njp, 4 ffb, 321 sfb...regular dash to put yourself in the corner, then elbow dash out as they are still falling.

-Left corner specific:
jip 321 elbow dash, njp, 4 ffb, 321 sfb, njp...double elbow dash to escape the corner.
*Note: When escaping the corner, the second elbow dash must be slightly delayed or else you will put yourself in the corner.

-Reptile's reset (2f31+2) isn't blocked:
If for some reason your opponent doesn't block the reset combo, you can double elbow dash to escape the corner and still be at huge advantage for a follow up of choice. This works on both corners of the arena, but I wouldn't suggest ever attempting the reset on the right side corner.

Set up #2: "The Splat Set Up...Corner Edition"
The splat set up just got even better

jip 321 elbow dash, njp, 4 ffb, 321 sfb, njp = 41%
After finishing this combo, quickly dash backward. At this point you have a variety of options available, both safe & risky. These options can be divided into a couple categories:
-Splat Invisibility:
You can splat into invisibility and decide whether to pressure or bait a wake up. You can also splat into standing 1, then quickly go invisible and still have time to block any wake up attack.

-Splat OTGs:
After splatting the opponent and dashing backward, you can use 1221...The first two hits will whiff and the third hit will OTG. This can of course be stopped by wakeup attacks, but you can bait every wakeup by using 12 and then blocking.

This idea leads into a ton of OTG mix ups:
-(12)21
-(12)2~acid hand
-(12)b1
-(12)2~slide
-(12)2~invisibility
-(12), throw: Can be useful once the opponent respects your other follow ups
-(12), block & bait a wakeup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to devote the last section of this post to character specific set ups. What are the best ways to approach each character? (This section will probably be edited a lot)

Mileena:
-Corner escape into full charged ex slow forceball. Every single wakeup Mileena can use will cause her to land on the forceball. If she chooses not to wakeup, you can walk behind the forceball and get a deep jumpkick into more pressure. Mileena's options to avoid the deep jumpkick are very limited.
-Reset. If Reptile doesn't have meter for an ex forceball, Mileena becomes very dangerous on wakeup. The best scenario is to use the reset to avoid her wakeups altogether.
Smoke:
-Splat Invisibility into d4. Using splat invis into d4 allows Reptile to punish all of Smoke's wakeups except smoke away. If you predict smoke away, don't use d4 and punish it accordingly. Splat into ex invisibility is extremely safe against Smoke. Once he learns not to wakeup, you can start using Splat OTGs instead.
Sektor:
-Splat Invisibility into d4. Sektor is absolutely free in the corner. Splat invis into d4 stops his flamethrower & regular teleport. If he uses ex teleport Reptile's d4 will cause it to whiff, leaving Sektor open to be whiff punished by an elbow dash. Splat into ex invisibility is extremely safe against Sektor. Once he learns not to wakeup, you can start using Splat OTGs instead.
Scorpion:
-Corner escape and walk backward. Walking backward after a corner escape will give you time to punish an ex teleport with d4~forceball, or whiff punish a leg takedown with f2~forceball.
Liu Kang:
-Corner escape into crouch block. Reptile can punish all of Kang's wakeups by crouch blocking after a corner escape. If Kang parries, you can dash back in and d4. If Kang uses low fireball, you will block and be at advantage. If Kang whiffs his flying kick, you can elbow dash in and punish with f2~forceball.
-Reset. Liu Kang's zoning can be tough to handle as a Reptile player. If you don't feel like you can counterzone him after a corner escape, the reset is always another option.
Sub Zero:
-Splat OTGs. Using Splat OTGs against Sub Zero will cause his ice clone to whiff, granting you a full combo. This is especially useful when Sub Zero has no meter because he can't wake up ex slide to put you in the corner.
-Corner escape into ex slow/ex fast forceball. Sub Zero struggles to cope with Reptile's zoning ability. Using an ex fast forceball will grant you a full combo if he tries to wake up ice clone. Using an ex slow forceball will give you a bigger zoning advantage. You can also use a regular slow/fast forceball, but keep in mind that these can be punished by a wake up ex slide. Be very cautious once you start zoning Sub Zero here. One bad trade with a freeze or ex slide will put you in the corner.
Kabal:
-Corner escape into ex slow forceball. Being up close against Kabal's wakeup options isn't the safest choice. Using a corner escape into ex slow forceball punishes all of Kabal's wakeups except ex nomad dash, which you will still have time to block. If you can't afford to spend meter on the forceball, you can corner escape into invisibility or a regular forceball instead.

Hmmm...I think the more set ups the better. I like it. I'll start toying with it myself to see how people adjust to it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Israel

Noob
Holy shit dude... No lie, but yesterday i was in the lab all day trying to figure out how to my combos dashing out of the corner!!
Lmao funny how we think the exact same thing!

Thank you for solving this ....much appreciated !

Played kleetha and used this. Got lit up by ex nomad dash. Haha

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
Thtb did some dirty shit to me in the corner the other day, i had never seen it so i cant be sure its new. But man did it mind fuck me.

Seapeople

This one's for you
First post updated with a completely different set up added :)
Hopefully I'll be able to add videos soon so this will be easier to understand.

Played kleetha and used this. Got lit up by ex nomad dash. Haha

It might be best to wait until the other person stands back up before putting up the forceball. I still need to try it some more :p
Some characters like Sub Zero definitely can't punish the forceball with a wake up though

Seapeople

This one's for you
I know this thread is a little old but I have a couple small things to add.
First of all, no wakeup attack in the game can punish the regular dash into elbow dash into ex slow forceball. It just takes practice to do it as fast as possible.

Secondly, I found a way to sort of mesh these 2 set ups together:
-On the left side corner only, you can end your combos with a splat followed by double elbow dash to send you out of the corner. You can still put up an ex slow forceball without being punished by wakeups, and the combo does slightly more damage (41%).
-Once your opponent starts expecting the splat into double elbow dash, you can splat into an OTG instead.
-On the right side corner, you can splat into invisibility to play it safe. Once your opponent starts expecting the splat into invisibility, you can splat into an OTG.

I think the corner splat set ups should completely replace ending with 321~invisibility. Thoughts?

Nice. This is great. I used this on a couple people, oh and if you were looking for a out of the corner dash and have a acid ball following for you, I know one. I had a video of it a long time ago, but here Seapeople you can go ahead and try it. in the lab, see if you like it.
(in the corner) 321 EX Acid hand standing 4 slow acid ball 321 fast acid ball 1224 EH slow acid ball dash out.

Seapeople Wait a minute, you said Splat into invisbility in my post earliar, After the NJP/slam dunk, dash back 122 Invisiblity.. because if its ate because of overhead, Wouldn't that technically be safe?

Seapeople

This one's for you
Nice. This is great. I used this on a couple people, oh and if you were looking for a out of the corner dash and have a acid ball following for you, I know one. I had a video of it a long time ago, but here Seapeople you can go ahead and try it. in the lab, see if you like it.
(in the corner) 321 EX Acid hand standing 4 slow acid ball 321 fast acid ball 1224 EH slow acid ball dash out.
Thanks.
I sort of remember the video you posted. I wasn't crazy about it because it takes you too far away from the corner, and it can be blown up by wake up attacks (if I remember correctly). It's a nice shenanigan but I'd rather use set ups that are more controllable and safer. I hope that makes sense lol

The reason I like this slow forceball trap better is because it keeps you close to the corner and still gives enough time for you to block any wake up attack. Mileena for instance can't use any wake up attack without landing on the forceball.
Once you take away any incentive for your opponent to wake up after the splat knockdown, then you can start using the OTG set ups :)

Seapeople Wait a minute, you said Splat into invisbility in my post earliar, After the NJP/slam dunk, dash back 122 Invisiblity.. because if its ate because of overhead, Wouldn't that technically be safe?
Yep 122~invisibility is +7 on hit

Seapeople

This one's for you
Just brainstorming new ideas here...I think you can do the splat set up and dash back into 1, then pause and go invisible.
^Using this should still give you time to block any wakeup, and it could bait your opponent into thinking you're going for an OTG.
Another new idea: The 12b1 OTG could possibly be used to punish certain wakeup attacks like Kitana's cutter/fan lift. Food for thought :)

I'm trying to look through every characters' wake up attacks to decide the best ways to use these corner set ups against them specifically. I'll update this thread with more info later

Seapeople

This one's for you
First post revamped. Character specific set ups will be added soon. Anybody want to help me with that part? Lol

My idea to use the 12b1 OTG to punish wakeups didn't work. But the idea to whiff standing 1 into invisibility turned out to be a nice trick.

What I like about this is how both the 1 invisiblity and 122 both begin with 1 and lead into wake up baits or OTG pressure.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Scorpion & Lius Kang added to the character specific section.

New note added to the left corner escape: When escaping the corner, the second elbow dash must be slightly delayed or else you will put yourself in the corner.
Putting yourself in the corner could be useful for shenanigans though. It could be used in a way similar to the "Rapzilla Special" seen here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-rapzilla-special.17510/

Btw I need feedback from you Reptile players!! I'm figuring this stuff out all alone lol.

Seapeople

This one's for you
The first post is updated again. I added a video to help illustrate the corner escape set ups.
Sub Zero & Kabal are added to the character specific section.

I've noticed that it's possible to do a splat set up that causes an ambiguous crossup.... I don't know if it would even be worth using, but it's still interesting. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, the same concept happens in this video @23 seconds:
Shang Tsung NJP tech by Jap

Feedback perhaps? :D

Seapeople

This one's for you
Shamelessly bumping this thread again lol. After hearing some of the discussion about reptile's sweet spot and spacing, it got me to thinking about the "corner escape" again.

More specifically, what are your options when the opponent doesn't wakeup after a corner escape into ex slowball?
Take Kenshi for instance. He basically has 3 options that I can think of:
Shoulder charge to keep you from advancing forward. This can be beaten by a jump into full combo.
Anticipate a jump. If he's waiting for you to jump, you'll be able to dash in.
Reflect or block. Both of these allow you to elbow dash in.

If you elbow dash in, you can go into a d4~slide/acid hand mix up. This is safe because of the forceball behind you and both options will launch onto the forceball if timed properly.
Kenshi's best punish for any of your options is a SC or RK into SC because he will have to block the forceball.
This could of course be applied similarly to other characters. Thoughts?
THTB

NO TAG FOR ME!!!!! UOU ARE DEAD TO ME!!!!!

anywho, I really need to play with this more. I really like the idea but everytime I've tried I've gotten Fucking super armored haha. Guess I tried it against the wrong characters.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
interesting setup but i feel like the 122 is not very viable as you dont take techrolling into account as well as you can see the mixup coming and do a wakeup on reaction. imo reset in the corner is by far the best option since you are plus 8 and literally in their face. cant see a better scenario than that. but again that is my opinion and by no means am saying this is bad it could def work for you but diff strokes for diff reptiles lol

Seapeople

This one's for you
interesting setup but i feel like the 122 is not very viable as you dont take techrolling into account as well as you can see the mixup coming and do a wakeup on reaction. imo reset in the corner is by far the best option since you are plus 8 and literally in their face. cant see a better scenario than that. but again that is my opinion and by no means am saying this is bad it could def work for you but diff strokes for diff reptiles lol
The reset is definitely one of the best options, but i think the best set up to use depends on the character you're fighting. Plus the reset is left corner only.

Even if the opponent tech rolls after the splat knockdown, they shouldn't be able to react to the OTG mix up. I'll either use 12 & block or 122, both of which give the opponent nothing to visually confirm and react to. I hope that makes sense.

Slow forceball/ex slowball really hold the most untapped potential for Reptile in the future. GGA Han uses them better than anyone right now imo

Seapeople

This one's for you
Splatting into the 122 OTG against Shang Tsung should stop all his wakeup attacks other than ex morph & possibly regular morph. I can't test to confirm this right now though. I'll start looking into this stuff some more as soon as I get a chance.