What's new

cR WoundCowboy Wins MKX at EGL Dallas

P.F.

Noob
Kano is the most Solid and Balanced character in this game in my opinion. ALL of his variations are solid compared to some of the high tier characters, who only have one truly good variation while the other two are lacking or just not as good. I agree that he can't really deal with some of the dirt some of the higher tiered characters have, his only real option for that is extreme patience and making good reads. The thing about Kano though is that his strings are overall safe to throw out, and his corner game is very scary in all three variations in my opinion.
In a game where the meta is currently rushdown-centered, it seems like Kano has been put into the wrong game. Maybe as overall playstyle of MKX evolves he will become more used.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Good shit cowboy, but it makes me wonder - who is going to get hit harder with the nerf hammer, BS shinnok or predator?

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
SonicFox played him in top 8 too.

He's a braindead easy character that is pretty straight forward, but that is what makes Wound's win even more impressive. Everyone in the top 8/16 either had a pocket shinnok or played against Shinnoks all the time and knew how to fight him, yet Wound still dominated. Just because a character is easy doesnt mean they are easy to win with. Wound won because he has great fundamentals and great MU knowledge.

P.S. by your logic Tanya isnt that good because MIT is the only one who has placed with her post-patch. Arguing how good a character is by their tournament placings is hella dumb.

Edit: All that being said I think BS Shinnok is hella dumb lol.
Shinnok in general is stupid. Hell Sparks being MB on block for ridiculous block advantage is braindead. In imposter, he gets a damage buff off of his Mimicry as well as a completely free 33/33/33 game follow up. The opponent has to guess between a 16% throw(a 50/50 in itself), and an overhead(Which NRS patched in for him for absolutely no reason.) or a ridiculous 7f low combo starter that both lead to 30% + damage. Boneshaper has a standing reset too although it's more balanced at 0f on hit. Boneshaper's "Fall From Grance" and "Banishment" strings (~1d2) being only -5 on block is dumb and what the hell is with BS Shinnok having the best projectile in the whole game? I thought Necromancer was his zoning variation, not BS AKA Boneshaper AKA Bullshit Shinnok.

Now that I've got all that out of the way, Shinnok is as you said "A straight forward" character and can be predictable. He doesn't have as much dirt as characters like Predator, D'Vorah, Liu Kang, Quan Chi, Jax, and Scorpion.

EDIT: Also, Kano is PERFECT for someone who has great fundamentals and great MU knowledge.

SonicFox played him in top 8 too.

He's a braindead easy character that is pretty straight forward, but that is what makes Wound's win even more impressive. Everyone in the top 8/16 either had a pocket shinnok or played against Shinnoks all the time and knew how to fight him, yet Wound still dominated. Just because a character is easy doesnt mean they are easy to win with. Wound won because he has great fundamentals and great MU knowledge.

P.S. by your logic Tanya isnt that good because MIT is the only one who has placed with her post-patch. Arguing how good a character is by their tournament placings is hella dumb.

Edit: All that being said I think BS Shinnok is hella dumb lol.
I am not saying BS isn't good. I am just stating the same thing you did here. Wound's performance was impressive. He also played Impostor in pools and top 16 against Michaelangelo's Quan which I liked very much)))You example of Fox playing BS and losing to DJT's tremor only proves that on the highest level it still takes skill to win even with BS Shinnok. I agree that him and Tanya are around the same tier, but BS is easier to use. That is why your example of MIT again proves what I am trying to say, that BS isn't dumber than other top 5 characters like Lao, Cassie, Tanya, Predator, D'Vorah.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Cowboy is godlike.

This weekend was good for the community, with Foxy not taking the European Major and Sonicfox not taking the NA Major.

It is now proven that anybody can be beaten and players continue to improve as each day goes by. GG's to all this past weekend!

So, I went through all the Twitch archives, and everything played just fine for me. Maybe they just finished uploading everything?

Anyway, for those that want to catch the action:

Top 16, starts at 31:00
http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/682061943

Top 16, Digit vs Zyphox
http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/682066490

Rest of Top 16 down to Top 8, ends at 42:00
http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/682066490

Top 8, starts at 54:00
http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/682083414

@CrimsonShadow

thanks for the links. Working at the post office has completely destroyed my stream monster game.