What's new

Video/Tutorial - Killer Countering Unblockable Meaty Set-Ups

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
And presumably he can blow the backdash up for a full combo, right? So you also have to guess.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
Rev up that downplaying.
It really is easy to dodge with minimal practice. The mix-up that comes after a cancel is where things get interesting.

I played someone today that uses Killer and he backdashed every attempt. I finally got to practice some real cancel mixups and it was really fun. In the corner Leatherface can cancel and pressure, and mid-screen I caught him with a BS1ex as he backdashed.

It can be beaten by a savy player pretty easily. It isn't much different from any other mix-up once the person knows to backdash. It's certainly no worse than the crap Inferno Scorpion can pull.

Reactions: jmt

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Its just one big mixup.

If you backdash and he does it frame perfect, you beat it.
If you backdash and he delays it a second, you get hit.
If you backdash and he cancels it, you get punished.

If you armor and he does it you punish him.
If you armor and he cancels it he punishes you.

TBH I would never tell anyone to backdash it because its way too big of a risk. If you want to do anything armor. But the thing is BS4c gives LF a free 50/50 or f12 pressure so most likely he'll do that a couple of times and once you start respecting that he'll BS4 to catch you off guard.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
It really is easy to dodge with minimal practice. The mix-up that comes after a cancel is where things get interesting.

I played someone today that uses Killer and he backdashed every attempt. I finally got to practice some real cancel mixups and it was really fun. In the corner Leatherface can cancel and pressure, and mid-screen I caught him with a BS1ex as he backdashed.

It can be beaten by a savy player pretty easily. It isn't much different from any other mix-up once the person knows to backdash. It's certainly no worse than the crap Inferno Scorpion can pull.
The reason why it should be removed is because in the corner it's a mixup that favors LF so greatly (since canceling into 22 pressure (or 12 if you're confident on your read) is unavoidable no matter how far your backdash goes) and that it's disproportionately effective against the cast, the characters with a 7+ frame poke generally being ones that are weaker to in your face pressure. Poking out is the best answer most of the time and those with a 7+ frame poke can't do so.

The precedent has been set that (virtual) frame traps into unblockables is not what NRS wants. We saw this with Goro's stomp setups. This shouldn't be the exception.

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
Here's something I find odd. When practicing against the BS4c, I find that I can only backdash if they go for the full BS4. If they cancel the backdash doesn't come out.

There is still time to block, but it is an added wrinkle. Can anyone else replicate this, or am I screwing up?

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
The reason why it should be removed is because in the corner it's a mixup that favors LF so greatly (since canceling into 22 pressure (or 12 if you're confident on your read) is unavoidable no matter how far your backdash goes) and that it's disproportionately effective against the cast, the characters with a 7+ frame poke generally being ones that are weaker to in your face pressure. Poking out is the best answer most of the time and those with a 7+ frame poke can't do so.

The precedent has been set that (virtual) frame traps into unblockables is not what NRS wants. We saw this with Goro's stomp setups. This shouldn't be the exception.
I actually don't disagree with you. It is a crazy mix up with super high damage options.

I'm just pointing out that it's not invincible per se. There will be some tweaking to Killer before all is said and done, I have no doubt.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I played a good leatherface who hit me with this constantly, so this helps a lot. Thank you!
Shit, I think that might have been me :D. I know me and you crossed at some point. I need more battles with you because next to no one I cross has even become aware this exists yet.

D

Deleted member 9158

Shit, I think that might have been me :D. I know me and you crossed at some point. I need more battles with you because next to no one I cross has even become aware this exists yet.
You seem familiar...I probably played either slasher Jason or venomous dvorah

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
I think Killer in general, and this BS4 cancel craziness in particular, is quite strong. I also think it is too early to really say how this tech will pan out.

I mean we are just now getting to the point where reliable testing and back-and-forth is being done with this tech, and new answers are sure to pop up.

Even if this tech is nerfed in some way, Killer just goes back to finishing the combo with DB1 for 40%+ damage. I would like to see this mix-up game develop a bit first, though.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
this tech is a godsend after being hit with this for first time last night. almost snap a controller lol. shanks

Ghosty1981

Dog will hunt!
@YOMI REO after new patch check the f2~bs4 setup there and you can now jump out/poke out :D:D
I set it up in practice and I couldn't jump or poke out for the life of me. My character actually made the motion, unlike before, but couldn't clear the saw or poke quick enough. I was only using a 7f d1 (Erron Black), so maybe I was doing it wrong or a faster poke would work.

It made for an easier armor or backdash, however. Anyone else tested this and found a different result?