What's new

Counter picking in tournament play

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
I'm a character loyalist too, my main(s) is) (are) Cage, Cyrax, Raiden, Stryker, Sektor, Sub zero, Noob saibot, Reptile, Jade, Jax, Kung lao, Smoke, Sindel, And learning some kitana now =).
Holy shit dude...

If counter picking is a problem in the first match of a tournament, then players have the option to request a double blind select.
Honest question, why couldn't the player who wants the double blind just hide his cursor?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Character loyality went out the window after MKT. If the character's remained consistent outside of just their special moves (sometimes not even that is consistent in MK), then I'd have some character loyalty. Like in SF, I will always main M. Bison because his gameplay is always the same or similar to the other games he's in. But in MK, I just pick whoever fits me, the situation or the game. I encourage counter-picking at any given time. I love playing my bad match-ups way more than my good ones. And personally, I will counterpick if I need to. Nothing wrong with it, at all.

With that said, counter-picking in casuals when your opponent random selects is pretty lame. Other than that it's not only fine but should be standard, imo.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Rule number one of tournament life: Play to win.

Sonya will always be my favorite character and my main, but if I have to cover even her bad match-ups to get far, so be it.

If you play a top char ( in my case Kitana ) there is no counter pick i feel like this is it... only whit kenshi crappy spamming i cant deal and i pick raiden and beat him. If any top kitana like 16 bit or Crazy dominican can give me a hint id gladlly take it vs Kenshi i just have a horrible time to get in since kitanas fly is the only armored move and its not really usable on kenshi, iv asked in other threads before for some hints vs him can someone plz quote me and answer so i can read it :) it would mean alot.

Noob
Honest question, why couldn't the player who wants the double blind just hide his cursor?
In MK9, if the player wants to use one of the DLC characters, the cursor stays hidden, but the pop-out bar of characters still opens up, so it gives away info to the other player as to whom he might be using.

Espio

Kokomo
If it's a tournament, it's to be expected, if people are worried, hidden select is present for a reason.

I don't do counter picking these days...because odds are if I can't beat them with Stryker..I'm not winning anyway lol.

I only get annoyed when so many people do it when you're playing casuals....and that's stupid, we're playing for fun and I picked Jade....so you pick Kenshi lol.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Some characters I just find really hard to deal with when using my main and puts the match way out of my favor. I don't see any harm in picking someone that won't necessarily give me an advantage but won't make it such an uphill battle at least.

Vagrant

Noob
It annoys me more so when noobs do it online.

SCORP--
SONYA!!!
SCORPI--
KITANA!!

Tourny play and high level play I can understand and respect a bit more...

I need to pick up a second for UFGT in may to avoid being completely one dimensional but I take alot of pride in sticking to my main.... Call me stubborn I guess

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
Am I the only one that gets insanely pissed off when playing online you choose your character and they take 10 seconds to choose theirs, first going to the bottom, then like oh I just figured out I rather be sub zero but thought I had to cycle through everybody. These are the same people that pretend to be afk until you choose your character. ta ta today junior!

Vagrant

Noob
Am I the only one that gets insanely pissed off when playing online you choose your character and they take 10 seconds to choose theirs, first going to the bottom, then like oh I just figured out I rather be sub zero but thought I had to cycle through everybody. These are the same people that pretend to be afk until you choose your character. ta ta today junior!
I just hit select and deselect scorpion a bunch of times so that the announcer voice annoys the shit out of them.... Usually works to speed things up... I noticed this is most common with noobs.... "Oh look how pretty THIS ONE looks!"

I used to wonder why people online would scroll through the entire roster before going back to Scorpion, but after seeing this phenomenon happen in real life I realize it's because they didn't know where Scorpion was. He's the character you started on, champ.

Vagrant

Noob
I used to wonder why people online would scroll through the entire roster before going back to Scorpion, but after seeing this phenomenon happen in real life I realize it's because they didn't know where Scorpion was. He's the character you started on, champ.
BUT I WANNA BE THE FREEEZZZYYY GUUYYY!!!

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
LOL makes me want to do that in a tourney, look over at my opponent and go "hey do they still have the guy that throws knives in this game?"

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I usually call over a blind pick. If the person is a threat and can play multiple characters, i call over an official and request blind pick, or i just go invisible if im not picking any of the DLC

I usually call over a blind pick. If the person is a threat and can play multiple characters, i call over an official and request blind pick, or i just go invisible if im not picking any of the DLC
Hidden select kind of gives away that you're not going with a DLC character, though. I'd rather just go with the blind pick.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Hidden select kind of gives away that you're not going with a DLC character, though. I'd rather just go with the blind pick.
Yea true, if your not a dlc player than invis works, but if you use CSZ your fucked lol. Its better off just to call a rep like you said anyway. It eliminates the guessing game.

I have never counter-picked in my life in any fighting game and I'm not going to start now. The only way I would counter pick is if my character had like an unwinnable matchup that I feel is like 2-8 or worse.. But otherwise, 4-6 matchups don't scare me. I like sticking with my main for better and for worse.

Then again, I'm not a sponsored player. So I don't have that pressure of "I must absolutely make top 3".

I don't mind being counter picked at all. I actually see that as an advantage. If they counter-pick it means they are adjusting to me because they don't feel confident enough with their main character. But I feel confident no matter what character they try to counter pick me with. That's a pretty good advantage imo.