What's new

Could this be Mileena 's inspiration?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I was reading a book on urban legends last night and found an interesting Japanese legend called "Kuchisake-onna" (Slit-Mouthed Woman)

Basically it goes like this... There is a Helen of Troy style babe who is married to some lord but sleeps with another man, so the lord cuts her mouth form ear to ear and kills her. She comes back as an evil spirit. Killing men and children. She is still gorgeous but wears a veil, surgeon mask and then before she kills you pulls it down to show her mutilated face.

Anyway, I googled a bit on this "Kuchisake-onna" thing and it is a serious urban-legend right through Japan and Korea and the images look really familiar.

I'm not saying Mileena IS based on this, though it could be an inspiration maybe.. but I am saying the legend is pretty cool and the look of the art and films and stuff it has inspired reminds me a lot of Mileena.

Image Search for "Kuchisake-onna" @Google

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
As far as I know, this Kuchisake-onna (Kuchisake means Slit-mouthed, onna means Woman, in Japanese) is a Japanese mythological demon back in Edo era. It's been the talk of horror tales.

Japan is known not only for the 12 animal entities, but also for the demons, including Nekomata (One of these would be from the Darkstalkers fighting game), Oni, Tengu (Crow Demon), etc. They come generally from the Shinto religion as mostly mythological monsters.

Maybe it could be NRS influence for the Tarkatans, while the Oni could be the influence for the Osh Tek warriors.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
So what you're saying is.....
She is going to be one of the guests in KP3
:DOGE
hehe... KP3 still a thing?

Seriously though, that might not be a bad idea... instead of Horror Characters form films and stuff actual "real" urban legends. Like spooky "Black Eyed Children"... a single charicter with two kids on screen throwing magic and slashing you with knives... ha! I'd be down for that : )

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
hehe... KP3 still a thing?

Seriously though, that might not be a bad idea... instead of Horror Characters form films and stuff actual "real" urban legends. Like spooky "Black Eyed Children"... a single charicter with two kids on screen throwing magic and slashing you with knives... ha! I'd be down for that : )
I would be 100% down with that! I still want NRS to make a horror fighting game. Obviously using the characters they have already put in MK (Freddy, Jason, Leatherface) but also some other horror film characters like Pinhead, as well as some urban legends (like this chick) and monsters from classic fiction (Dracula, the Frankenstein monster etc). Just an all out, full blown roster composed of characters from every spectrum of the horror genre. Seriously that has been my dream game for YEARS.