What's new

Concerns About MK11

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Honestly I've been afraid for the backlash of what I am about to say but I think the game just FEELS slow. Walking with skarlet and trying to move for the combos feels sluggish to me, but it's hella fun to play and I know that dash speeds are getting worked on.

My biggest fear is for the longevity of the game, as some others have stated. I think it's interesting how MKX started and eventually ended up in MKXL with a lot of the 50/50's being toned down or even flat out removed. I wouldn't be surprised that if by the end of the game the casual scene overwhelms NRS to essentially make MK9

I haven't really posted here since MKX was in it's prime. I've spent a lot of time with the stress test and beta on both PS4 and X1. I think MK11 is a good game but at it's state right now I can see it being relevant as long as MKX was. Although it is only a beta the zoning in this game already seems strong. The only character I haven't played that doesn't resort to zoning 75% of the match is Scorpion, and is probably contributed to meter teleport. Still hoping for the best and getting day 1 copy but I skeptical.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Also you basically ignored my point about waking up. The guy with the life lead doesn't even have to play this game. He just walks back and resets neutral, or hovers outside of your u3 range in case you try it to whiff punish. You do not get to do anything but wake-up block at the highest level I've played in this beta thus far.
So by that logic as the defender, I never have to worry about you pressuring me on wakeup then, awesome. I get to wakeup for free everytime, thanks.

Conversely now I am gonna wake up with a fast normal string and start slapping you around because I know you are too scared to challenge a wakeup attack and now its my turn.

You gotta think more than 1 step ahead here, this is basic level stuff.

*edit*

or I get to backdash right away on wakeup cause you are too scared to challenge the wakeup attack and get space back, or if you think you have some magical timing where you can always attack to not get hit by a wakeup attack but beat wakeup normals(you won't, but hypothetically) now I know you will always attack at this period and ill flawless block and punish your attack and now its my turn etc etc etc.

Long story short, letting the opponent wakeup unchallenged cause you scared of a wakeup attack is dumb.

Wigy

There it is...
Think if the movement gets a decent buff and the x-rays get a severe Nerf with the armour fall out also getting reworked that will be a good base for a game.

At the moment it feels frustrating slow with strong long range normals, just feels like I either have to lame it out myself or yolo to get in.

Lol I've been saying corner jump kicks are stupid since mkx when everyone just said git gud.

Folks finally realising the invincible dive kick with stupid priority and plus frames is bad for the game

-shockedpikachu.jpg

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
It’s very easy to walkdown an opponent. Forward walk speeds are much faster than backwards walk speeds. People are just uber impatient and MK11 is exposing people. A lot of people seem to be trying to play MK11 like previous NRS games, but the meta is a lot different in so many ways.

If you don’t like the slower paced meta that is based on fundamentals, spacing, footsies, calculated offense, mind games, etc... then that’s fine. MK11 just isn’t for you. But that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with the game.

I will agree with the interactable complaints, especially the get out of the corner free ones. The interactables have always been lame and I really wish they would just get rid of them altogether. Or at least, in tournament mode just have them off. I really think we need to come together as a community and once and for all ban interactables in tournament (if it’s possible this time around to turn them off like in previous games).

And the counterpicking has very little to do with kustom variations. Counterpicking will always exist. It’s interesting you’re playing against people who are counterpicking in a beta though. Someone wants to win a little too much in a beta I suppose.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
It’s very easy to walkdown an opponent. Forward walk speeds are much faster than backwards walk speeds. People are just uber impatient and MK11 is exposing people. A lot of people seem to be trying to play MK11 like previous NRS games, but the meta is a lot different in so many ways.

If you don’t like the slower paced meta that is based on fundamentals, spacing, footsies, calculated offense, mind games, etc... then that’s fine. MK11 just isn’t for you. But that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with the game.

I will agree with the interactable complaints, especially the get out of the corner free ones. The interactables have always been lame and I really wish they would just get rid of them altogether. Or at least, in tournament mode just have them off. I really think we need to come together as a community and once and for all ban interactables in tournament (if it’s possible this time around to turn them off like in previous games).

And the counterpicking has very little to do with kustom variations. Counterpicking will always exist. It’s interesting you’re playing against people who are counterpicking in a beta though. Someone wants to win a little too much in a beta I suppose.
I actually love the walk speed. A lot. I kinda wish they didn’t change the dashes based on public demand. I love how it works in the beta, where there really is no dashing at all. Love love love it. The back and forth makes the footsies game so much more fun.

I guess if I were to pick a second complaint it’d be the over-reliance of d1 and d4 to get out of fucking everything.
I created a thread about this the other week, and the outcome was it's part of the game, learn to counter poke.

Still not a fan of it; looks stupid and seems like an easy out, just throw out those low/mids short frame attacks.

I love how it works in the beta, where there really is no dashing at all. Love love love it.
Same here. When i started playing the beta i kept trying to get in by running which obviously wasn't working, then went to dashing. That eventually changed to mostly walking which works just as well, and it looks better too, as you don't have crab-walk dash thing that MK9 had, as someone called it once.

I think you and me think the same!

The game is going to have some concerns, even (especially?!) after release, but things will sort themselves out over time with some patches etc. Look at Day1 MKX to people playing 2/3/4 years later, it's hardly the same game. This game will be the same and evolve over time. To try and make changes now seems stupid as we haven't even seen them play out with the full cast and what people can do with the new meta.

Agilaz

It has begun
My only real concern is that the new dashes they showed will make walking obsolete. That would really suck as walking just feels really good as a movement option now.

Other than that, I would like to see all interactables be single use only, and hopefully a robust infrastructure for making custom variations work in ranked and tournament play. After using them almost exclusively in the beta, it wouldn't feel good to go back to presets, not to mention I dont want to potentially miss out on entire moves.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
My only real concern is that the new dashes they showed will make walking obsolete. That would really suck as walking just feels really good as a movement option now.
They already confirmed dashes are getting buffed.

Hey @General M2Dave big fan of your podcast rants. Basically, you''re correct in that FG's are the cat and mouse of the life lead, that isn't the problem. The problem is it is the strongest I've ever seen it be in a FG to the point where the neutral lacks depth. Once I have the life lead in this game, footsies etc become completely irrelevant. I'm not turtling, or jockeying position, I'm just running away, especially until I hit my invincible corner escape. Skarlet is the only character in this beta that can discourage you because she can widdle you down with tongue, but even Jade gets lamed out the minute she's down on life. Her zoning isn't dynamic enough to stop me from just flawless blocking and jumping at full screen and she's forced to take ALL risk to recover her life lead. This isn't so prevalent in SFV T7 etc where arenas are comparatively smaller, character movement is faster and so on.
Believe walk speed and dash have increased. The last KK showed this with sub. Seemed noticeably faster.

Think if the movement gets a decent buff and the x-rays get a severe Nerf with the armour fall out also getting reworked that will be a good base for a game.

At the moment it feels frustrating slow with strong long range normals, just feels like I either have to lame it out myself or yolo to get in.

Lol I've been saying corner jump kicks are stupid since mkx when everyone just said git gud.

Folks finally realising the invincible dive kick with stupid priority and plus frames is bad for the game

-shockedpikachu.jpg
what dive kick ?

Derico

Banned
This game reminds me sfv in two aspects;

-Fun to play, boring to watch.
-Characters are VERY limited.

When u see Liu Kang and Kung Lao gameplay, they look from another game. I don't know, ed boon has his tradition of mess mk after two or three games. Mk11 will be a mess if they keep that way...

My concern is the competitive scene quickly die...

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
This game reminds me sfv in two aspects;

-Fun to play, boring to watch.
-Characters are VERY limited.

When u see Liu Kang and Kung Lao gameplay, they look from another game. I don't know, ed boon has his tradition of mess mk after two or three games. Mk11 will be a mess if they keep that way...

My concern is the competitive scene quickly die...
I mean... I’d certainly rather play than watch....? I like fun.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Your points are valid and well-taken.

First of all, everyone agrees the invincible corner escapes have to be limited to one use per round as every other interactable object in the game. Second of all, everyone also agrees that forward dashes need to have less recovery frames, which they will upon the game's release, according to Boon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the result of a game that strictly revolves around footsies is limited rush down as well as zoning. You end up with a game in which the most rewarding option is not to over-commit and make mistakes so you simply walk back.
I think the faster farther forward dashes will 100% remedy a lot of my gripes with the games neutral. Also, yes you're correct about the result of a game oriented around footsies, but you typically have more claustrophobic spaces as well that forces people to have to move forward to intimidate etc. That isn't required so far in this game.

Derico

Banned
I mean... I’d certainly rather play than watch....? I like fun.
Sure, i will get mk11 on day 1! I will play for eternity like all mks!

About mk11 die quickly on the tournament scene... If the game don't get views, it dies, at least on major tournaments. (and mk is not sf, you know what i mean lol... Biased)