What's new

Concept art for MK HD Kollection? Yes.

Tim Static

Adminerator
So i take most havent really read that this stuff your seeing YOU'LL NEVER PLAY because ITS NEVER COMING OUT?

What the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection were are getting in September IS NOT the MK HD Kollection!!

MKAK is old games; MKHDAK is a project that wasnt completed and wont be released.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy

BUT ANYWAY

Digitized HD fighters... make of these examples what you will...

Dark Presence (probably vaporware, anyway it hasn't been released after years in dev):

OK, yeah, that kind of looks a bit like shit, but the costumes might be part of the problem. It also might not even be a real game and the screens are 100% faked, so...

And we have Bikini Karate Babes - digitized graphics running at what looks like 60fps:

OK... yeah, the game looks like pure shit, but I think it could have looked good if it were done more professionally. If you imagine decent costumes, actual martial artists, and some touch-up in photoshop, I dunno, I think something kinda like that would look OK.

And now we'll have a look at Death Cargo, an upcoming indie fighter.

This looks good to me, although the video's not that clear:

This also looks good, but you can't really see anything:

And this fatality looks a bit sad:

Your thoughts? Wanna go petition NRS for a new 2D-HD MK running at 60fps? I bet it would be way cheaper to develop than a comparable hand-drawn 2D fighter.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
So cruel... I'd almost rather not know about this :(
Same here. But if they couldn't figure out a way to keep the games the same gameplay wise, I'm glad they are releasing the current games :)

But, fuck it would have been amazing to see that shit in HD

AC1984

Kaballin!
Now looking at those pics again I changed my mind. The stages look neat but I dont like the characters looking that real and clean. I love the games the way they are tbh. :)

Sega

Noob
it looks very different. almost funny. but i was really stoked about this. i put in my reserve at a play n trade. walked in november 26th or whatever day it was supposed to be released and they were like "sorry, the hd collection is pushed back til april." at that moment my heart broke. then i wanted to kill myself when april came around and still nothing was released. my last hope was that maybe its the challenge tower prize. but... yea we all know how that went down. anyways, then when i heard it was cancelled all together i was just like alright it was bound to happen.

to be honest, i predicted that even if it was released, the games wouldnt be the same just because of the actors. i was wondering how the hit boxes would match up to the old games and what not. and other technicalities of course. so i had a hunch they were going to be cancelled anyways. i wish they still released it though just to see how different it was. kabal bottom tier or something like that would be hilarious lol. anyways, it was def a downer. but atleast theyre giving us a kollection with crisper graphics :)

Tw1sted

Noob
hmm. coulda sworn that the whole reason they made 3d character models for UMK3 on iOS was so that they could use all those 3d art assets for a full fledged console release. i would've imagined that they were going to do the same thing with mk1 and 2, but i guess they weren't and never will.

in case none of you know what i'm talking about, heres a video i did about the game several months ago. this was before they patched it and added the full umk3 roster.

Trippfan

That Bob Ross Guy.....
Yea in the HD Kollection, which will probably never ever be finished and released.

The MK Arcade Kollection is the 3 games, with a sheet of higher resolution on it, and comes out at the end of the summer (september-ish)

fyi :)
Wouldnt the new Kollection be coming out in August when the new fightsticks release? Also I honestly do not know how well the HD versions would do. Personally i would not mind to have the HD Kollection but kind of like ST HDR alot of people got turned away by the new artwork.

mesk

Noob
amazing! just amazing! cant wait to play. i only prey to a good online code
Well you can pray until your face turns blue,fact of the matter is not you,I,nor anyone else will be playing MK HD collection because it is never coming out

oh.unless you are talking about UMK for iOS,if thats the case then I agree :)

So basically the producer in charge of this project just completely underestimated how difficult, time consuming, and expensive it would be to go through with this project. I'm sure his pitch was something like "Yeah we'll just redo all the graphics like SF2 HDR! There just little pictures! It take like five seconds! I could do it myself actually!"
You have to pay the actors, hire costume designer, photographer, a video editor and roto-artist. And they wanted make 3 games? WTF were they thinking?
Sad thing is this sort of thing happens all the time. People with no understanding of the creative/technical process end up in positions of power making horrible decisions, the artists just have to deal with their incompetence.

I don't like having to be the only negative one, but honestly I do not like this at all.
Its too clean, kano looks like a really poor cosplayer. Everything just looks a bit off, I don't think I really like the idea of HD digitized actors, it looks to uncanny valley at that point.

Just the uprezzed HD collection is a beter idea in the end, even if they probably won't rebalance it and remove those awful kara jab glitches.
How can it be uncanny valley? Its video of live actors for pete's sake!

meh, leave the old games as they were. If anything remake MKT and make it what it should have been (and at least decent haha) but the reasons why we'll never see the "HD Remix" of these games is because the refilming of the characters, etc changed the game way too much. it was all technical issues.
Thats what MK9 is for :D

Tim Static

Adminerator
hmm. coulda sworn that the whole reason they made 3d character models for UMK3 on iOS was so that they could use all those 3d art assets for a full fledged console release. i would've imagined that they were going to do the same thing with mk1 and 2, but i guess they weren't and never will.

in case none of you know what i'm talking about, heres a video i did about the game several months ago. this was before they patched it and added the full umk3 roster.
yea i'd rather poke my own eyes out than ever play that game again, or have to play it on a console. YUCK.

Wouldnt the new Kollection be coming out in August when the new fightsticks release? Also I honestly do not know how well the HD versions would do. Personally i would not mind to have the HD Kollection but kind of like ST HDR alot of people got turned away by the new artwork.
The Kollection thats actually coming out is the old games brought up to todays standard HD. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thats what MK9 is for :D
I'd much rather play a true 2d MK, thank you. :)

MKK hanzo

yea i'd rather poke my own eyes out than ever play that game again, or have to play it on a console. YUCK.

The Kollection thats actually coming out is the old games brought up to todays standard HD. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd much rather play a true 2d MK, thank you. :)
This +1

Tim Static

Adminerator
whats a "true" 2d mk?
take your pic:

I like MK9, and its good and all, but i've never felt very comfortable with it, as it feels like a 3d fighter on a 2d plane more than a true 2d fighter. Of course the awful dash, negative edge and sideways/different layout doesnt help either.

but thats not what this thread is about...

Colonel_Klink

Delusional
I thought I'd chime in to register my agreement with those posters who have expressed relief that HD was canceled.

When I first heard about this, I was looking forward to it more than the upcoming MK9 -- seriously, I had little enthusiasm for MK9 and thought the HD collection was where I would find the "old school" MK action. Well, my opinion has changed. MK9 is out and in spite of all of my reservations, I think it's a great game. I'm looking forward to the MK collection coming out and now I am grateful that the HD collection was trashed.

Why? Look at the images shown in this post and look at Dark Presence (thanks to the poster who put that up, Bikini Babes, and that hideous other game that promises to be craptacular).

What made MK special in its time was that the graphics were digitized, but the resolution was low enough that it doesn't look cheezy. MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3 all had characters that were digitized, but still looked a bit cartoony. For the time it was revolutionary, but now, looking back, I still think they got it right.

I'm glad they ditched this HD thing -- and I say that as someone who was really looking forward to it. Seeing these images changes everything. Now I don't miss it and I'm looking forward to the MK collection release -- and if all they do is smooth the jaggies on the sprites, I'll be happy.

Oh, and a definite thumbs up to a decent release of MKT. I don't care if the game is "broken", I just want to play it with no load times and decent graphics...

Damn it sucks we probably won't get a remake of MKT. But that IS what MK9 is for... :p

I'm getting MKAK just because it's MK and I love this community.

I wonder if I should post the BEST MK2 game you'll ever play..."giggles"

...I'm sure very few of you know about it. ^_^

Tim Static

Adminerator
Damn it sucks we probably won't get a remake of MKT. But that IS what MK9 is for... :p

I'm getting MKAK just because it's MK and I love this community.

I wonder if I should post the BEST MK2 game you'll ever play..."giggles"

...I'm sure very few of you know about it. ^_^
try us, WEBZ

Alright, I'll make a thread soon. I hope u guys don't kill me. :p

But this version of MK2 is freaking fun as fuck. I took it to some gatherings and tourneys in the Chi/Midwest areas not too long ago, and some folks had the nerve to say this game is BETTER than the original/MK9 combined.

Imagine that. 0_0

Colonel_Klink

Delusional
digimonemporer... man, you're killing me here... I've gotta know what this is. I'm hoping it's a new hack and not something already known. Personally, I've always wanted to see a turbo version of MKII.

I'll be watching for your thread... as long as it's not MUGEN related, I'll be very interested.

LMFAO!!! Well then never mind. It actually WAS mugen related. But I kid you not, it's the BEST version of MK2 I've ever played. And with a tweak or two...it COULD be hella tournament viable. But...I really don't want to dis the OG players, and recommend them to try a MK game that's not the original game.

I really did take this game I'm talking about to MN's GnG Combo Breaker tournament. And to a ton of sessions in Chicago when MK9 demo was popular. And a ton of members from the FGC sat down and played this version of MK2 for hours.

I even had people watch me and Osirun do an exhibition of MK2U for like an hour or two. Game is quite fast and fluid and the COMBOS....OMFG THE COMBOS!!!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Alright, I'll make a thread soon. I hope u guys don't kill me. :p

But this version of MK2 is freaking fun as fuck. I took it to some gatherings and tourneys in the Chi/Midwest areas not too long ago, and some folks had the nerve to say this game is BETTER than the original/MK9 combined.

Imagine that. 0_0
What a Kocktease. :p

Colonel_Klink

Delusional
LMFAO!!! Well then never mind. It actually WAS mugen related. But I kid you not, it's the BEST version of MK2 I've ever played.
OK, you got me -- now I have to admit that I'm not really a MUGEN hater. I play Time Killers and Bloodstorm, so I have no reason to act high and mighty when it comes to MUGEN. I've played some really crazy and fun MK versions in MUGEN. I just wish the graphics were at least standard res, and the software was more stable, but that has a lot to do with the individual game makers as well.

So, I still want to see you put up a thread on this version. I might have to dig up the ones I liked and add to the discussion.

And now back to the regularly scheduled discussion... apologies for the derailment.

Alright bro. And yeah that sounds good man. As soon as I get this new Kenshi combo video up and at em on TYM (front page) and definitely get going on that thread.

Should be up by Thursday. ^_^

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
That's Galloping Ghost Arcades' Dark Presence game. Its real lol
They made it themselves although it still ain't finished I believe.
Also they are doing a sequel at the same time entitled Conquering Light.

Check GGA's site for more info.

All the best,
Razer