What's new

Concept art for MK HD Kollection? Yes.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Even if the new HD look would've look weird, I would have liked a change honestly. But if it would have changed the gameplay unintentionally, then I'm glad it was "canned".

eks

Noob
I think the games would've looked fine for the most part. That TYM with Kano pic is campy-looking, but the full character sprites wouldn't have been so bad since the level of detail would've been different.

I really wish they would release whatever they have finished on it for us to see. I find it hard to believe that the stuff this guy has up is all there is since they'd have had to get a little further in development to determine that they couldn't get it to work.

I believe it was you Tim who had information that the gameplay was changing too much and thats why they decided to nix the HD versions. I wonder if the truth is that Other Ocean was just doing a bad job at emulation and thats why the gameplay was really changing. I still don't see why refilming and putting those animations on top of the original actors would have changed the gameplay at all. If the emulation of the arcade gameplay was done right and the actors were filmed in close enough poses then the game should have theoretically played the same.

Now that MKAK is out, do you have any more insight on that?

Tim Static

Adminerator
I believe it was you Tim who had information that the gameplay was changing too much and thats why they decided to nix the HD versions. I wonder if the truth is that Other Ocean was just doing a bad job at emulation and thats why the gameplay was really changing. I still don't see why refilming and putting those animations on top of the original actors would have changed the gameplay at all. If the emulation of the arcade gameplay was done right and the actors were filmed in close enough poses then the game should have theoretically played the same.

Now that MKAK is out, do you have any more insight on that?
The MK HD Arcade Kollection had zero to do with emulation. Each game was being made brand new from the ground up, which again, is something they should do & should still do for MK Trilogy. Leave the OG games alone.

jamessmk

I am your god
The MK HD Arcade Kollection had zero to do with emulation. Each game was being made brand new from the ground up, which again, is something they should do & should still do for MK Trilogy. Leave the OG games alone.
Why, I must concur

Weird. It just seems like thats the approach they were taking as you can clearly tell that in the Arcade Kollection they went in and mucked up a lot of the audio with new samples. Presumably they'd be able to do the same thing with the sprites.

First things first though, they should release competent Arcade perfect ports of all 3 games. Give it the 3rd Strike Treatment. If they can accomplish that, they should go the extra mile and do the refilming and layer the new sprites/backgrounds on top of the old emulated gameplay. Keep an option in there to use the old sprites, but let you use the new ones. This wouldn't be dissimilar to the way Halo Anniversary or Monkey Island SE were handled.