What's new

Guide Comprehensive Guide to Cyborg

Art

Grave_Intent
Comprehensive Guide to Cyborg
Hi all. I've been noticing a lack of Cyborg players on Injustice (primarily on PSN not sure about XBL) and I'm not sure if he is just an unpopular character or people just don't know enough about him. So, in light of this I have picked him up and started to do some online matches and just recently I had a chance to do some casual games with him and did rather well I would dare say. This is why I decided to make a small guide to help, players get on the "Booyah" boy's band-wagon!

Here are some tips and tricks I've picked up in my game play with Mr. Victor Stone (aka. Cyborg)...
  • Cyborg's Nova Blast (B,F,1) can NOT be ducked by most of the cast, and the Meter Burn versions release a 2nd diagonal Nova Blast upward or if done in the air downward. This can make is zoning game VERY good.
  • Cyborg's Techno-Tackle (D,B,F,3) is a great "Unblockable" tool that deals 9% and has "Anti-Air" properties as well as it puts Cyborg a good distance away from the opponent after the move, it is fast and has a good range. It can also be "Meter-Burned" to greatly increase the damage dealt to 16%. NOTE: this move CAN be Ducked witch will make you miss and then you are free to be punished afterwards.
  • Vs. Jump-Ins Cyborg has a bit of trouble with opponents who jump-in and he has only 2 options to deal with this. First, He can Power Fist (D,B,1) them as an anti-air. Second his crouching 2 is a decent anti-air but if often trades due to its low reach, however you CAN recover fast enough to also follow it up with a Power Fist (D,B,1) for 15% damage, Sonic Disruptor (D,F,2) for 10% damage or F2,2 for 13% damage all of which move your opponent back a good distance. I would NOT recommend using the Up-Sonic Disruptor as it has a very slow start-up and will often get stuffed by decent jump-ins
  • Cyborg's Grapple Line (D,Up-Left or D,Up-Right) move is a bit tricky to master, but it is his best escape option and helps his keep away game immensely. He can also land a "falling" normal attack or fire a Nova Blast when he ends the Grapple Line. The move also has 1 hit of Armor on Start-Up, making it reliable to get off.
  • Cyborg's Air Nova Blast also pushes him away from the target, so it can also be used to keep the zone game going and keep you at a safe distance. The Meter Burn air Nova Blast fires an extra downward Nova Blast as well keeping your opponent stuck or trapped on the ground.
  • Cyborg's Trait can be said by most to be "CRAPPY", but I have found a way to get at least some safe use out of it and gain a bit of life back. Staying at full screen helps also, each time you land a Nova Blast on a jumping opponent they will fall and be pushed back with the tumble animation, so as soon as the Nova Blast hits use Cyborg's trait to gain some life back then continue the zone game. It seems to recharge pretty fast and in a drawn out fight it can help quite a bit.
  • Cyborg's Target Acquired can be easily done while jumping back or forward if you are using an air Nova Blast tap down 2 times and hit the 3 button as you land to avoid Cyborg's leg sweep popping out (which seems to happen often). This can also be held and dash-canceled out of.
Cyborg's Zoning Game and Set-Ups:
The main thing for Cyborg is his Zoning game, to do this NRS has devised quite a good set of moves for Cyborg. You WILL however be forced to mix-up your zone game from time to time and do some melee combos to keep your opponent on TILT.

Cyborg doesn't have the greatest combos for damage, he relies on his zone game. Because of this, you will want to keep your opponent at bay and play as many mind games with them as possible. Cyborg's Nova Blast (B,F,1) and Sonic Disruptor (D,B,2 or D,F,2) can be held and dash canceled also the Nova Blast can be "Meter Burned" even if it is held to allow you to play mind games with your foes by shooting the extra projectile at a diagonal up direction, causing them to get hit if they jump.

The best feature of his zone game is his ability to hold the Nova Blast and choose whether or not to Meter Burn it or just fire. Similar to the Joker's ability to hold his pistol shots and keep the opponent guessing. However Cyborg has a bigger advantage in that he can Meter Burn his sots to cover 2 arcs on the screen gaining 2 Nova Blasts for 1 meter. Also, his Nova Blasts can't be ducked meaning the opponent MUST block them or take the 8% damage hit. You can also use the Grapple Line to go Behind your opponent and force the auto-correct facing to (sometimes) make the opponent get hit and put you in range for a wall bounce, but this MUST be done VERY fast to keep the timing correct.

Set-Ups for Cyborg are a bit tricky but can even be done at range. After a combo or move that knocks your opponent away, use Cyborg's Target Acquired (D,D,3) then immediately fire a Nova Blast that will force you opponent to block. If they crouch-tech witch allot of players do, they will get hit by the Overhead missiles from Target Acquired and go into a juggle state witch can be followed up by an additional Nova Blast to get around 18%-20% damage from the ranged mix-up. The best basic combo to set this up is J2,1,1,2 as the last 2 is an over head and if your opponent crouch blocks he will get hit and rolled away with a hard knock-down that he can not tech-roll out of and then gets hit by the Target Acquired put directly on top of him.

Cyborg's Jumping 2 has Very good cross up ability as well as good air-to-air ability and can be followed up with 1,1,D,B1 (Power Fist) combo for 20% damage or an B,F1 (Air-Nova Blast) for 14% damage.

Cyborg Meter Management and Meter Burn Go-To's:
When playing keep in mind your meter is the 2nd. way Cyborg can gain life aside from his trait through a Clash. So with this in mind there are really only 4 moves you should ever meter burn due to the usefulness of doing so.
  1. Techno-Tackle: The meter burn on Techno-Tackle greatly increases the damage as stated earlier, and also puts your opponent in a hard knock-down and at perfect range for a Target Acquired + Nova Blast reset.
  2. Nova Blast: This will be the Primary Meter Burn use. It gives you the angled projectiles (up or down) depending if you are performing it in the air or on the ground and can also be used when holding and/or dash canceling the ground Nova Blast to play mind games with your opponent.
  3. B3 or F3: Sort of a no brainier, it gives you 1 hit of armor and allows you to get the wall bounces or Techno-Tackle set up bounce.
  4. Power Fist: Meter Burning Power fist isn't really useful in a mid-screen set-up, but if you have more than 2 meter and catch your opponent in a corner combo then you can use the meter burn version for a nasty high damage juggle.
Cyborg Midscreen Combos: Cyborg's combos are designed to push opponents back to allow him to play his zone game...
  • BNB Combo: Jump In 2,1,1,3 - 15% This combo is safe on block as your opponent gets pushed back in a sort of stagger. Also, on Hit knocks your opponent a good distance away.
  • BNB Combo: Jump-In 2,1,1,2 - 13% This is the PRIMARY combo you'll use to get the Reset for Target Acquired (D,D3) going as it ends in a hard knock-down and MUST be blocked Standing and if it hits can not be tech-rolled out of. It keeps them locked down.
  • Jump-In 2, Back 2,3,1 - 19% This is a good Overhead to Low to Mid Mix-Up combo, also on Hit knocks your opponent a good distance away. Not safe on Block (but very hard to block).
  • Jump-In 2, Back 2, Down Back 1 (Power Fist) - 22% This is a good Overhead to Low to Mid Mix-Up combo and if blocked puts you in perfect Throw range for at least another 11% for the Throw.
  • Jump-In 2, Back 1, 2, DF2 (Sonic Disruptor) - 18% Knocks opponent a good distance, and is safe on block.
  • Jump-In 2, Back 1, 2, DB1 (Power Fist) - 21% If blocked leaves you in perfect Throw range for at least the 11% from the Throw.
  • Forward 3, D,B,F3 + R1 (Techno Tackle + Meter Burn) - 23% The F3 is an Overhead that can be Meter Burned for the armor as well.
  • Jump-In 3, Down 2, D,B1 (Power Fist) - 23% or 26% if Meter Burned. Not safe on Block but leaves you in Throw Range.
  • Jump-In 3, C1, D,F2 (Sonic Disruptor) - 20% Good High to Low Mix-Up, Safe on Block.
  • Corner Combo: Jump-In 3, Down 2, 1,1, Down Back 1 (Power Fist) - 24% The Power Fist can be Meter Burned adding +2% to the damage and the Meter Burn Power Fist that can be repeated around 2-4 more times for an additional +2% to +4% (it varies due to damage scaling and if both parts of the Meter Burned Power Fist hit) damage per hit. average damage is around 46% to 52%
  • Super Combo: B3, Jumping 3, Super - 43%
  • Wall Bounce Set-Up Combo: Target Acquired (D,D3), B3, Jumping 3, Power Fist = 34% damage or the Power Fist can be Meter Burned to make it 36% damage and adds allot more knock-back.
Reset to Super 66% Combo: Jump-In 2,B1,2,3 to Target Acquired (D,D,3), Nova Blast (B,F1), J2, Super... Total damage is 66%

All the set-ups I listed I've done and had worked in matches. "Combat Tested - Kombat Approved"

This is a Work in Progress... PLEASE NOTE: I did all these combos on my own without watching YouTube videos. I know there are other "High" damage combos but they are mostly corner combos that require allot of meter and aren't practical in an actual fight from what I have experienced.
Anything anyone else knows about Cyborg's strategy or combos that I didn't cover let me know and I'll put them in the guide, it would help allot Thanx
For now this is what I've come up with for Victor Stone and I hope to keep playing him and discovering new tech. I'll keep this updated as I do. Until then...Booyah!

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I love this guide.

One thing I disagree with is that he has trouble vs jump-ins.

Almost never have trouble vs most jump-ins.

For sort of far jump-ins I use sonic-blaster, for close jump-ins I use power fist, and for super close jump-ins/cross ups I use up sonic blaster. Maybe a d+2 some times for flavor.

Speaking of sonic blaster, it's a dream against rush down characters, it counters all advancing moves as long as you have it charged and you have good reactionary skills. This is really only useful if you notice they're dash attack happy.

Doomsday, the Flash, and Catwoman are really susceptible to this.

This is just in my experiences, it's risky online due to lag though.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Nice work man. A good start, but some of your set ups are not optimal and/or will not work. For example firing a NB righter after a TA on hit will not force them to block. They can techroll and jump to avoid the whole thing. Then you are at negative frames so they can get in easier.

You should check out some of the videos and thread in the Cyborg forum. I go into a lot of detail in my guide to his set-ups and normals. We have had a guide up running for a bit now http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-singularity-has-arrived-the-cyborg-guide.30368/

Not sure of you have seen this yet Jer Should be bumped up to

Art

Grave_Intent
Nice work man. A good start, but some of your set ups are not optimal and/or will not work. For example firing a NB righter after a TA on hit will not force them to block. They can techroll and jump to avoid the whole thing. Then you are at negative frames so they can get in easier.

You should check out some of the videos and thread in the Cyborg forum. I go into a lot of detail in my guide to his set-ups and normals. We have had a guide up running for a bit now http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-singularity-has-arrived-the-cyborg-guide.30368/

That set-up works after you do the J2,1,1,2 because the last 2 is a hard knock-down they can't tech-roll.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
That set-up works after you do the J2,1,1,2 because the last 2 is a hard knock-down they can't tech-roll.
You can't cancel specials from 112. Missles has super slow start-up at that and I wouldnt throw them unless I could cancel into them or from full screen

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Great work! Can't wait to see this guide develop.

Just a couple of things: I believe there is a gap between 11[gap]2. I'm not sure if it can be interrupted after a jump-in though, I remember in Mortal Kombat some strings you normally could you wouldn't be able to. Might be able to armor through it. Not too sure about 113.

As for AA, I use air NB. Probably not an AA, but whenever I think my opponent will try jump in, I jump somewhat high and NB.

Art

Grave_Intent
Great work! Can't wait to see this guide develop.

Just a couple of things: I believe there is a gap between 11[gap]2. I'm not sure if it can be interrupted after a jump-in though, I remember in Mortal Kombat some strings you normally could you wouldn't be able to. Might be able to armor through it. Not too sure about 113.

As for AA, I use air NB. Probably not an AA, but whenever I think my opponent will try jump in, I jump somewhat high and NB.
Thanx :) And, as far and AAs go yes, you can jump back and Nova Blast or Meter burn it, but I prefer and found it is safer to just either C2 or Power Fist.

Art

Grave_Intent
You can't cancel specials from 112. Missles has super slow start-up at that and I wouldnt throw them unless I could cancel into them or from full screen
There's no need to cancel them sense the 1,1,2 is a "Hard Knock-Down" the recovery is slow. Just be quick about getting off the Target Aquired and one Nova Blast to force them into block stun or hit them if they back-dash.

Art

Grave_Intent

All the set-ups I listed I've done and had worked in matches. "Combat Tested - Kombat Approved" ;)

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
Jump-In 2,B1,2,3 to Target Acquired (D,D,3), Nova Blast (D,B2), J2, Super... Total damage is 66%

did I misread it?
well the author miss wrote it lol nova blast is bf 1 (the fireball)
so as soon as the rockets come out, do novablaster as soon as you can. the rockets will pop them up and then j2.
The only bad thing about this reset is the opponent can easily tech roll back and the rockets will miss.
To over come it, the fire ball will still hit even if they roll back. Since they are at a good distance away from you now, you can begin doing instant air fire balls!
However, the reset is amazing in the corner! Do: J.2, b123 ,db1(mb),j2, b123, dd3(close),(wait for opponent to begin standing), b231,(rockets will now hit) j.2, 113, db1

so as soon as the rockets come out, do novablaster as soon as you can. the rockets will pop them up and then j2.
The only bad thing about this reset is the opponent can easily tech roll back and the rockets will miss.
To over come it, the fire ball will still hit even if they roll back. Since they are at a good distance away from you now, you can begin doing instant air fire balls!
However, the reset is amazing in the corner! Do: J.2, b123 ,db1(mb),j2, b123, dd3(close),(wait for opponent to begin standing), b231,(rockets will now hit) j.2, 113, db1
thanks lol I couldnt tell if he wanted the bf1 or db2 ^^ I will practice that and the reset you posted much appreciated bro

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
It is not the only bad thing...they can just stand block lol. Which means it is not a reset at all. Cyborgs only known reset involves Target Acquired and low starters (like the combo Chris wrote above me.) and even then it is gimmicky as fuck Ignizshun Check out the other guide on Cyborg for more detailed and accurate information

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-singularity-has-arrived-the-cyborg-guide.30368/

Chrishaspads

It is not the only bad thing...they can just stand block lol. Which means it is not a reset at all. Cyborgs only known reset involves Target Acquired and low starters (like the combo Chris wrote above me.) and even then it is gimmicky as fuck Ignizshun Check out the other guide on Cyborg for more detailed and accurate information

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-singularity-has-arrived-the-cyborg-guide.30368/
yeah thats why if they just block high i go into iafb
and is there a way for cross over at full screen?

Chrishaspads

thanks lol I couldnt tell if he wanted the bf1 or db2 ^^ I will practice that and the reset you posted much appreciated bro
another easy reset i use over and over again(for some reason nobody blocks it) is:
b123,db1 mb,j2, b123,dd1(close),b231, j2,b123,dd1(close),b231,j2,
The orange can be repeated over and over so. So after the j.2 (b123,dd1(close),b231,j2) repeat what is in parentheses. Online no body has been able to stop this so far. One thing though, it is a Corner Combo