What's new

Composite Tier Lists for MKX

Now this game is already only 2 months away and more and more is getting dropped as each week passes. With the variation system that will be in place, how many characters could be in, and how this community treats tier lists as the word of god, the question arises: How in the hell can we make a tier grade for a character when they have 3 styles? My answer: Why not grade them out based on how all three perform, combined?

For Example, I'm going to use Kitana and her 3 styles. Now Style A will be used against all other characters styles (As, Bs, and Cs) and you record the advantage/disadvantage/neutral MU against all of the casts styles. After that, you have Style B and you repeat the process. Then the process is done for style C. This treats each style as the character's only fighting style and you create a Tier grade of that style against the rest of the styles in the game. You take those results from all three styles, then you Average out the grades of all three styles in order to grade the character as a whole.

FOR individual MU's, let's take Kitana vs. Cassie Cage. Kitana style A vs. Cassie Style A considered a 5-5, Kitana B vs. CC B 6-4, C vs. C 4-6, A vs. B 6-4, C vs. B 5-5, B vs. A 5-5, C vs. A 6-4. (Bear with me) now total all of those figures together for this MU as a whole and you get:

Kitana: 37
Cassie Cage: 33

Kitana would win the MU by an avg of 6.2 to 5.5 more or less if I were to divide those figures by 6 since there's 6 combos in this Match. (All hypothetical. Don't kill me future cassie mains lol). As a whole, this could take a while to figure out and it could be fun to watch this evolve with time. Either way, It HAS BEGUN!

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I understand where you're coming from, OP. But this equation has no real value regarding match ups, and never will. Every variation needs to be treated separately, as if it were a different fighter, for a proper tier placing.
But, what you suggest is a fun perspective overall.

Last edited:
Things like this need to be decided upon organically. As the game and how it's played upon release dictate. It's like when people are trying to decide on terminology in regards to variations or when IGAU was leading up to release how we all debated on how to term combos (using 1234 or lmh etc.). these things will come, and come quickly upon getting our hands on the game and will be logical as we progress.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That will just lead to massive inaccuracies. I see what you're saying, but that method defeats the purpose of MU #s. Tier list and MU #s are never 100%, but everyone tries. I dunno about this tier grade thing lol.

I'll use a different example. Say a character like Raiden played vastly different in his variations. Like Raiden A Kitana A is 5-5, A vs B is 5-5, A vs C is 6-4. B vs A is 7-3, B vs B is 6-4, B vs C is 7-3. C vs A is 4-6, C vs B is 4-6, C vs C is 5-5. If you were trying to add all variations that's what you meant to say. Your total number should add up to 90.

Raiden 49
Kitana 41

Now by your scale that would roughly make the MU 5.5-4.5 Raiden. The problem with that is he mostly loses the MU in Variation C, and wins all three in Variation B with two of them by a large margin. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying "Yea this MU is a 5.5 in his favor".

I think it should be pretty much how CvS2 and Alpha 3 have their tier lists. Each variation treated as a character. There will definitely be a few characters with a "way better than the other two" variation as well as other characters with two or even three usable ones. They should be treated as such.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
In fairness, this system does work in a way. Its how smash does its numbers and rankings...
However with 3 variations? It might be easier to just pick whatever gives the highest numbers.

For example, by the rankings lets say F/T has the following:

Lackey : 31
Ruthless : 35
Vicious : 42

Then you cam safely bank that most people will use Vicious.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
Nah, each variation may as well be it's own character as far as tier lists will go. All you high level players, have fun figuring that out!

SLy

Noob
Honestly Tier Lists in this iteration is going to be too much.

Its gonna end up like a CVS2 Tier list where the majority of character variations was thrown in one or two tier slots until they have proven to be overly good.

People that refuse to process that will end up with matchup charts with like 100 different matchups..pfft.. Good luck with that.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
A tier list should just be like scorpion a is rank 15 out of 100 or how many variations in total are in the game and scorpion b is 72 same goes for mu charts pretty much but it will be a lot of typing but it's simpler

SLy

Noob
If anything.. Hopefully this game breaks that obsession. Unless you want to endure that headache of 1000 matchups lol

A tier list should just be like scorpion a is rank 15 out of 100 or how many variations in total are in the game and scorpion b is 72 same goes for mu charts pretty much but it will be a lot of typing but it's simpler
But thats just the thing though.. The game is gonna be new for a long while.. Characters will stay fluctuating.. Who would take a list like that serious.. Eventually people will say F it and do their own thing until something OP is revealed lol.

It's better to keep the variations unconsolidated imo. Figuring the averages is more like providing a tier "chart" (S, A+,A, ect...) helpful, but only a chunk of the change. Rather individual match up discussions for each variation will provide the most accurate info and remaining fair to all players whether ch. loyalists or not and to the game itself.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
If anything.. Hopefully this game breaks that obsession. Unless you want to endure that headache of 1000 matchups lol

But thats just the thing though.. The game is gonna be new for a long while.. Characters will stay fluctuating.. Who would take a list like that serious.. Eventually people will say F it and do their own thing until something OP is revealed lol.
True, but you could just add all the good match ups of all 3 variations and compare them to others