What's new

Guide - Kobu Jutsu Complete Tanya Kobu Jutsu Guide + Strategy + Pressure + Combos

Complete Tanya Kobu Jutsu Guide by Vak Phoenix
Strategy, Pressure, Rekkas, Combos

Hey Guys and Gals, i finally present to you Tanya Kobu Jutsu Complete Guide!

It is safe to say that in the current game patch, Kobu Jutsu is Tanya’s most rewarding variation due to the fact that she can pressure well in this variation and kind of keep away certain characters. Her runaway game is alright, but since her teleports were nerfed, you kind of have to commit to pressure.

In this variation Tanya gains 2 very useful normal attacks, B1 which is a mid to overhead attack that hits twice and covers a quite decent range also is 9 frames startup, which is a good for punishing. 2nd one would be B2 which is a 3 hitting high high overhead, very quick armor breaking move and can be special cancelled, although when it is cancelled into a special move, the overhead part is gone, her B2 is 7 frames start up and is a hard knockdown.

With the variation specific normals she gains variation specific combos, such as B1,2+4 which is great forward advancing string and starts with mid overhead and can be special cancelled, and is safe plus it has no gaps, it also gains quite of amount of the meter on block. Another decent string she gets is 321 which is high mid mid, first hit can be ducked and the last hit has at least 8 frame gap, because Mileena can roll it, Cassie can backflip it and Kung Lao can EX- Spin it, however this string launches and is +2 on block. The last string she gets is B1 D2, which is a very quick mid overhead low, and knocks the opponent down with a hard knockdown, it is however unsafe and is -9 on block, it also has some pushback, but can definitely be punished if your opponent can react, i would still suggest using it for a mixup against a character such as Quan Chi, that cannot wake up to save his life.

In Kobu Jutsu variation, Tanya gains quite a nice amount of very useful special moves, such as: Tonfa Toss (DF1), which is a very fast high hitting and fast traveling projectile has an alright recovery and is -9 on block, when it is meter burned it comes back to Tanya, just like Kitana’s (Jades) meter burned Glaive Throw. On hit you can combo off of meter burned Tonfa Toss, however the combo of your choice will have a dramatically scaled down damage, it is still pretty useful but i prefer using it when the opponent is blocking to pressure them even more. On block meter burned Tonfa Toss is 0 frames full screen, but jails most of the characters up close because it becomes plus, excluding female characters, Reptile and Takeda and that is due to the hitbox size of those characters.
Another special move that is gained is Tonfa Dive (DF2), which can only be executed in the air, the move is mid hitting and is very unsafe on block, Tonfa Dive can be used for whiff punishing characters from the air or knocking your opponents off of you while you are in the air if they want to air to air you. Tonfa Dive is -22 on block, cannot be meter burned and personally i only use it against characters to whiff punish their projectiles.
Last but definitely not least Tanya gains a Tonfa Swipe (DF2) which is a mid attacking special and can be cancelled into another special move Tonfa Slash (DF1). Tonfa Slash can only be used after Tonfa Swipe, on its own the move does cannot be performed. 3rd and final advancing special move after Tonfa Swipe and Tonfa Slash is Tonfa Push (DF2), just as Tonfa Slash Tonfa Push can only be performed during the Rekkas as the 3rd hit after Tonfa Slash.
Tonfa Swipe the very first hit of Rekkas is a mid, -7 on block and can be meter burned that gives Tanya a long lasting single hit armor. Meter burned Tonfa Swipe is great for breaking armor because it has 2 very fast mid hits and can be used for Rekkas. Tonfa Slash remains the same and cannot be meter burned and it is -11 after a block, however the move can be delayed on hit and on block, it becomes safe on block if it is delayed however it creates a gap on block and character with fast armor moves can armor through, such as Cassie and Kung Lao, on hit the Tonfa Slash is +10 and you can stop there and go for either B1,2+4 string again for pressure or B31 string, keep in mind it is guaranteed it your opponent is hit by Tonfa Slash.
Tonfa Push the final hit of the Rekkas is a mid, and is -23 on block. It can also be delayed on hit and on block as well, if it is delayed it creates a gap and can be armored through just as Tonfa Push, but it has a great push back if Tonfa Push is delayed and has a bigger block block, so it actually becomes plus on block. Tonfa Push can be meter burned as the final hit of Rekkas as is 2 hitting launching attack, it does not have armor but it has a gap in between the 2 hits and it can be armor through, Tonfa Rise (meter burned Tonfa Push) is -2 on block and has a good block stun, so when your opponent will try to poke, you can beat the out with B1, 2+4 string.

Tanya is known for her good pressure in this variation and its because of the B1,2+4 Rekkas or any string into Rekkas really, also the meter burned Tonfa Toss. The meta is to make your opponents guess when you will finish the Rekkas, will it be with first hit of Rekkas, second hit or the third hit. That is the mixup in this variation, since Tanya does not have a true overhead combo starting normal. (F3 is but it has to be held for 1.5 seconds and it is not very useful in pressure because it is very react-able)
Another good thing for pressure is B1 teleport cancel on block which is -2 now (it used to be + on block but since they nerfed Tanya’s teleport cancels, the all went 0 and - on block) and B1,2+4 teleport cancel which is -7, but it throws your opponent off and you can try to mix it up with a throw after a teleport cancel and/or go for B1,2+4 string again into a second teleport cancel, throw or the string again. Overall this all creates a great pressure game.
With Tanya it is better to pressure or to hit someone, because in this variation she gains meter very fast with the B1, 2+4 string into Rekkas and does great amount of chip damage, the total of 8% with entire string and Rekkas combined. What you want to do is if you hit your opponent standing find the at the second Rekka and go for a low B31 Rekkas or B1,2+4 Rekkas or either string into meter burned Tonfa Toss and then pressure again with any special cancelable string into Rekkas.

Kobu Jutsu Combos Midscreen:

B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 36%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 36%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 38%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 34 Flip Kick 39%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 4 ex Teleport JI4 Teleport NJ 34 Flip Kick 42%
321 RC F2 ex Teleport JI4 Teleport NJ 34 Flip Kick 35%
4 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 36%
4 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 36%
4 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 39%
4 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 34 Flip Kick 40%
24 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 36%
24 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 36%
24 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 38%
24 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 34 Flip Kick 39%
F2 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 34%
F2 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 34%
F2 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 37%
F2 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 34 Flip Kick 38%
B2 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 32%
B2 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 32%
B2 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 34%
B2 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 34 Flip Kick 35%
112 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 34%
112 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 34%
112 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1,DF2 37%
112 DF2,DF1exDF2 RC 4 34 Flip Kick 38%

Kobu Jutsu Combos Corner:

B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ 34 Flip Kick 36%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1DF2 36%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1DF2 40%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 4 34 DF2,DF1DF2 40%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 4 4 34 DF2,DF1DF2 44%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 4 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1DF2 45%
B1,2+4 DF2,DF1exDF2 4 4 34 ex Drill 34 Drill 46%
321 NJ B1,2+4 DF2,DF1DF2 33%
321 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1DF2 35%
321 4 4 B1,2+4 DF2,DF1DF2 38%

Video Coming Shortly!

@RunwayMafia @YOMI MITYEAP @Sindelia @ other tanyas

Last edited:

infamy23

FireBeard
Some of your numbers are off...

The last string she gets is B1 D2, which is a very quick mid overhead low, and knocks the opponent down with a hard knockdown, it is however unsafe and is -15 on block
b1d2 is -9 on block.

Tonfa Slash remains the same and cannot be meter burned and it is -10 after a block, however the move can be delayed on hit and on block, it becomes safe on block if it is delayed
Tonfa Slash is -11. If you do Tonfa Slash after an EX Tonfa Swipe, it becomes -4 so it doesn't remain the same.

Also, you cannot make Tonfa Slash safe by delaying it. It will always be -11 on block regardless of the delay.

Tonfa Push the final hit of the Rekkas is a mid, and is -28 on block
Tonfa Push (no delay) is -23 on block.

Tonfa Push can be meter burned as the final hit of Rekkas as is 2 hitting launching attack, it does not have armor but it has a gap in between the 2 hits and it can be armor through
This is true, but you should mention that you can control whether or not this gap exists. If you execute all 3 hits of the rekka at max speed, there will be no gap in between the final 2 hits.

Tanya does not have a true overhead combo starting normal. (F3 is but it has to be held for 1.5 seconds
Regular f3 is 24 frame startup.

Fully charged f3 is 38 frame startup. So it's more like 0.5 seconds.

Some of your numbers are off...

b1d2 is -9 on block.

Tonfa Slash is -11. If you do Tonfa Slash after an EX Tonfa Swipe, it becomes -4 so it doesn't remain the same.

Also, you cannot make Tonfa Slash safe by delaying it. It will always be -11 on block regardless of the delay.

Tonfa Push (no delay) is -23 on block.

This is true, but you should mention that you can control whether or not this gap exists. If you execute all 3 hits of the rekka at max speed, there will be no gap in between the final 2 hits.

Regular f3 is 24 frame startup.

Fully charged f3 is 38 frame startup. So it's more like 0.5 seconds.
Im gonna correct those, my bad

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
This is awesome - Can we please get this stickied?

Also, in this variation I take it that it is not worth doing meterless combos to keep going with rekka pressure - would that be correct?

Thanks

derOeler

Death comes to all!
Hey Vak,

Great WriteUp, helped me a lot to understand and play better with Tanya.

How do do utilize her 321 string or other strings than b1,2+4 or b3,1 for that matter?

What is your goto Air to Air /NJP Combo?

Hey Vak,

Great WriteUp, helped me a lot to understand and play better with Tanya.

How do do utilize her 321 string or other strings than b1,2+4 or b3,1 for that matter?

What is your goto Air to Air /NJP Combo?
321 plus, u can do it in corner after second hit of rekkas, my air to air combos are. Ji, tele nj, 34 flip. Nj rc 4 34 flip

Manticore

You will incubate my young!
This is gold. You should however check the frame data on the teleport cancels, I believe b1 cancel is plus 2. A poke after is guaranteed. I also think f2 is more important than b2. It really good for closing in, whiff punishing and allows you to jump from a pretty far distance with ji2(b12 will whiff). 1 and 11 are very good stagger strings, (both are plus 2) and I occasionally use f43, you can condition your opponent to block after f4 and then grab or pressure after the roll. Thanks for those combos, hehe.

This is gold. You should however check the frame data on the teleport cancels, I believe b1 cancel is plus 2. A poke after is guaranteed. I also think f2 is more important than b2. It really good for closing in, whiff punishing and allows you to jump from a pretty far distance with ji2(b12 will whiff). 1 and 11 are very good stagger strings, (both are plus 2) and I occasionally use f43, you can condition your opponent to block after f4 and then grab or pressure after the roll. Thanks for those combos, hehe.
Yeah, i know all that but all of the strings that you have mentioned are no Kobu Jutsu Specific strings.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I thought someone showed how to delay and still have no gaps. Did that turn out to be false? Thanks for the write up. I don't play tanya but it's a pain fighting her.