What's new

Community Liu Kang Match-up Chart

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Cyrax:
This is going somewhere, which I like. I agree with both posts, Liu has the superior up-close game, but a little harder to maintain himself outside. The reasons being is bombs. Unless you can do perfect iafbs 100% of the time.

Cage:
While we may be able to keep him out, we'll be backed into a corner eventually. As I said earlier, I'd like to try avoid using decimals. But this is a tough call. 6-4 cause Liu can effectively keep him off? Or 4-6 cause Cage obviously has the upper-hand up-close?

Cyber Sub-Zero:
I agree on 6-4. Parry and iafb prevent CSZ from he's divekick game. Slides don't have armor so they can't go through Low fireballs. Teleports are unsafe from what I know, so if you use them at all, use safely.

Sub-Zero:
I'd agree on 4-6. Liu can't trade with Sub's iceball, or else he'll be throwing his life away like Sunday morning trash. Sub's corner game is also obviously better than Liu's. Liu may be better up close, but Ice Clones keep him at bay.

Jax:
I'd say 5-5. Both of their pressure can be freakin' amazing. But it is extremely risky to try and zone Jax, as he has quick recovery and ground pounds. He does have extremly good pokes though, so Liu has to use his head up-close.

Kenshi:
I really dislike this guy. I'd say 4-6 or even 3-7. Unnecessary armor. Nuff said.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
6-4 Scorpion
6-4 Quan Chi
6-4 Cyber-Sub
4-6 Smoke

The scorpion match up has to be Liu's favor. Every thing Liu does is neutral on block and scorpions pokes are garbage. His only real options to escape pressure as far as I know, are ex-spear and D+1. If LK reads either of them and blocks, B+312 is a free combo.

Quan chi, I don't know. I think it is 6-4. His pokes aren't great either, but he has a D+3 and an uppercut. I just know I have beaten up on a quan chi friend of mine pretty badly with kang. Quan's real downfall may be his wake up game.

Cyber-sub being 6-4 is theoretical. Kang can parry Cyber's dive-kick. CSZ can't parry B+312 or F4. Kang might be at a slight advantage when they are close to one another. From full screen, the advantage definately goes to kang. CSZ doesn't have armour to go through projectiles. His teleport is too slow to avoid zoning reliably. IAFB's will control the space CSZ wants to use to dive kick, forcing him to dash block to get in.

I think the Kang-Smoke match-up favors smoke, but it could be 5-5 also. I'm hoping for more input on this from others.
Scorpion:
I agree with Scorpion. Scorpion is a high risk/high reward character. But overall, Liu gives him more trouble than Scorpion giving Liu trouble.

Quan Chi:
I believe I asked this in the Quan Chi MU Discussion already, and (if I remember correctly) its 6-4.

Smoke:
Smoke does give Liu some troubles, as Liu doesn't have any teleport or something to get in quickly. He does have Flying Kick, but that can be full combo punished. Liu has to be unpredictable when it comes to throwing out fireballs. Once Liu's in, he has to stat in. Unless he gets the life-lead, as normal Smoke-bomb doesn't have chip.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Just to let everyone know, I'm waiting for either
1. Agreement
2. Elaboration/Reasons
Without any of these from you, where I put my reasoning, it'd be Squeaker's MU Chart. Not a community MU Chart.

AssassiN

Noob
Liu vs Cyrax = 6-4
Liu can just keep outzoning Cyrax, he doesn't have to fear the bombs or the nets. Just keep the the fireball high whenever that little door of his opens(maybe get in with a flying kick if you know he'll throw a bomb), you can block the net in time. Once you have the life lead and the Cyrax player realizes he can't beat you full screen he will have to come at you. This is where the footsies of both players come into play.

Liu vs Cage = 4-6
Liu can outzone him, but all Cage has to do is dash+block. When it comes to footsies I think that Liu wins, but once Cage is in it is very hard for Liu to get out. The high hitbox, slow D1 and 9 frame start-up parry doesn't help at all. You really have to try and bait Cage into whiffing and punishing that. Make sure Cage gets full-screen to start that zoning again and build some meter so you can break when it is necessary.

Liu vs Sub-Zero = 4-6
When full-screen, Liu can outzone Sub with high fireballs. You can block the ice on time, with low the freeze will get you.
Sub-Zero can choose to slide under your high fireballs.
In the corner Liu is fucked and Sub can easily hide behind his clone once he gets the life lead.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Liu vs Cyrax = 6-4
Liu can just keep outzoning Cyrax, he doesn't have to fear the bombs or the nets. Just keep the the fireball high whenever that little door of his opens(maybe get in with a flying kick if you know he'll throw a bomb), you can block the net in time. Once you have the life lead and the Cyrax player realizes he can't beat you full screen he will have to come at you. This is where the footsies of both players come into play.

Liu vs Cage = 4-6
Liu can outzone him, but all Cage has to do is dash+block. When it comes to footsies I think that Liu wins, but once Cage is in it is very hard for Liu to get out. The high hitbox, slow D1 and 9 frame start-up parry doesn't help at all. You really have to try and bait Cage into whiffing and punishing that. Make sure Cage gets full-screen to start that zoning again and build some meter so you can break when it is necessary.

Liu vs Sub-Zero = 4-6
When full-screen, Liu can outzone Sub with high fireballs. You can block the ice on time, with low the freeze will get you.
Sub-Zero can choose to slide under your high fireballs.
In the corner Liu is fucked and Sub can easily hide behind his clone once he gets the life lead.
Good stuff! Updating the OP asap.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I still don't get it >.>
I actually played a decent Kenshi last night. It was close. I'd say 4-6 now. Kenshi has armor for a GTFO move. Then we're back to square one. I think it's because I've only seen Pig's Kenshi.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Shang Tsung vs Kang (work in progress) is 5.5-4.5 or 5-5 though you can interrupt his zoning to a certain extent, his pressure outweighs lius in terms of traps... other than that you have to play very cautiously midscreen.. and up close its advisable to use 50/50 ex low fireballs and overhead. Baiting d1, and going through skulls with fly kick and midscreen IAF have to be on point.

XBlades

I have came to an agreement that Noob saibot vs kang is either 5.5-4.5 noob or 5-5
Reason being other than zoned, reading correctly on his game will give you the edge you need in this fight.. when getting close all noobs will up shadow kick. Dragon stance sweep or dragon stance dash forward b+312 will exploit many of his move sets. Teleport is very risky, you can dragon stance bnb for 40%. Baiting jumps, baiting wake ups such as up shadow kick or running man (which does indeed have more invincibility) using those footsie tools, etc. Flawedzilla can tell you how this match up goes on his behalf.

XBlades

Cage vs Liu (work in progress) 5.5-4.5 or 5-5 reason being his nutpunch vortex into 11f1 will give him +3 on block followed by f+3 is an 6 frame window...edit cannot interrupt anything in between...
EN bicycle kick or dragon kick.
block all his strings and wait for slime balls..
look for d3,d1.
if he jumps over exploiting lius crossup game.. dragon kick out or sweep.. or if your fast you can parry...
If the cage player does not finish his f+3 strings... you can punish a following f+3, if you feel its a one uppercut.. a mind game itself you need work on.

Other than the inside game..
Liu can outzone Cage really well... if he closes in.. you can block string away and dragon kick to the other side..or work your 50/50 mix ups wit ex low fireball or overhead.

XBlades

Liu vs Sektor 5-5
Reason being both characters have really good zoning tools, from full screen both players will trade fireballs IAF vs missles..
upward missiles will lose to fly kick.. timing is crucial. IAF will not lose to teleport, considering the reaction time, if the sektor assumes, teleport will hit me out of it (preemptive). Liu rush game is over whelming, even though sektor has a standing 6 frame and d+1 block low will limit these options and give you a d+3 to start the offensive again, his fake out kick can be deceiving but like all stance moves you can hit him out of it. Note: that he can dash out for whiff punishing.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
Kang v Ermac is a nice 5.5-4.5 or maybe even a 6-4.

- Ermac's strings are quite slow and this hinders his follow ups after poking quite a bit. He is forced to run away. Kang can f121 to follow any backdashing and catch up to him into pressure strings.
- Midscreen Ermac wins due to forcepush but you can dash block or even ex bicycle kick to get in if you really need to.
- Fullscreen Kang wins but just barely. you are out of range of forcepush but a simple dash will put Ermac back into range. If you keep your iaFB up, he cant forcepush because he will get hit out of the forcepush animation before dealing most of the damage. Watch for teleports. You really have to watch your spacing to make sure you arent in forcepush range. Probably the most even sided but i give it to Kang as Ermac has to do risker stuff to do damage.

Kang v Lao i feel is a 4-6. Heres why:
- full combo punish between Kang pressure strings. Lao can 21 any strings or spin any pokes. If you poke, i spin, combo, if you block, i 212121, spressure and huge meter building. Its a guessing game in Lao's favor.
- Midscreen Lao can f3 spin iaFB nonsense. If you try to f121 or b312 your way in Lao can spin. Kang can iaFB or AA whiffed dive kicks but that f3 spin keeps Kang in check. Neutral game is fairly even in this matchup, i say.
- Fullscreen Kang can harass Lao with iaFB but Lao can tele 3 between fireball gaps and whiff dive kick to get in. Kang has to really be on point and predict the tele, AA and punish or Lao will just get in.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Please put your reasoning....
SZ trades nicely from 3/4 screen and closer, ice clone and D4 occupy enough space to make getting in hard for LK, enh slide beats LK pressure, and if liu gets in the corner it's over.

Liu has full screen zoning and his corner pressure, but still has to be wary of SZ's armor more than SZ has to worry about LK's armor.

Rain goes even with almost everyone, lol.