What's new

Strategy Community Guide to overcoming fundamental Nightwing Problems

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
You are aware that you can change your button configuration whenever you wish, correct? :)
LOL yeah but I don't think there's another comfortable button I can use. I need the R1 for the interactables and R2 for the MB. And L2 feels just as awkward as L1 lol.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I really like using throws but dammit the L1 button on the pad is super awkward... maybe because I am really used to the R1 button in MK, I don't know.
I started throwing recently using 1+3. It feels better but I still need some time to get used to it.
Day 1 I switched my buttons like MK style

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Recently I've been super impressed with NW mobility and versatility in escrima.

It is fairly easy to get on everyone besides cyborg and sinestro but it also allows me to zone and evade. I can go from zone to pressure easily and once I'm in, staff will make them hurt.

I've also been using mb scatter bombs to blow up jump ins and jump outs on a read. On hit you get j3 wing ding for 30ish...(totally worth it)

Many time I'll just dash in and do it baiting a jump over. Especially when approaching the corner when I know zoners want to get away. NW builds meter pretty well so it's ok to spend it on this IMO.

I also have been working on scorpion for those who outzone NW too easily. Cyborg is very manageable and he is still a wild card in most MU

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Recently I've been super impressed with NW mobility and versatility in escrima.

It is fairly easy to get on everyone besides cyborg and sinestro but it also allows me to zone and evade. I can go from zone to pressure easily and once I'm in, staff will make them hurt.

I've also been using mb scatter bombs to blow up jump ins and jump outs on a read. On hit you get j3 wing ding for 30ish...(totally worth it)

Many time I'll just dash in and do it baiting a jump over. Especially when approaching the corner when I know zoners want to get away. NW builds meter pretty well so it's ok to spend it on this IMO.

I also have been working on scorpion for those who outzone NW too easily. Cyborg is very manageable and he is still a wild card in most MU

Yep, the escrima mobility is very important!

Nw's d2 in both modes is also very under rated ;)

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Yep, the escrima mobility is very important!

Nw's d2 in both modes is also very under rated ;)
NW's D2 in Escrima at 12 frames gets bodied by most jump in attacks that are 6-8 frames. Even slugs like Ares and Lex got quicker D2s, I got more faith in staff D2, you gotta show me the magic of Escrima D2 I only use it when I see clearly someone jumping in raw on me.

@AK L0rdoftheFLY with the scatterbombs as anti air, does it work on the entire cast or does it get beat by Catwoman J2 or even something cheese like Batman's J2? Im going to training mode to check it out.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
NW's D2 in Escrima at 12 frames gets bodied by most jump in attacks that are 6-8 frames. Even slugs like Ares and Lex got quicker D2s, I got more faith in staff D2, you gotta show me the magic of Escrima D2 I only use it when I see clearly someone jumping in raw on me.

@AK L0rdoftheFLY with the scatterbombs as anti air, does it work on the entire cast or does it get beat by Catwoman J2 or even something cheese like Batman's J2? Im going to training mode to check it out.
First of all j agree with u on his uppercut.

Second:

On a read it beat cat woman j2 from distance and same goes for batman j2.

But they still have options. Cat dash will win if they read db1

For bats, if he is already on you then you are in trouble. Gotta space it right an bait the jump

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
just go into staff stance,mash d1 and enjoy yourself.
If your unable to enjoy yourself that's proberly your conscience telling u that u shouldn't be playing a character that smokes batmans trotter for a living.

AssassiN

Noob
I use Escrima's D2 and Scatterbombs rarely.
Escrima's D2 comes in handy when doing Spark forward dash cancel and you know they will jump or if the opponent jumped to throw an interactible.
If they are jumping towards me, maybe Scatterbombs but forwards/backwards J3 isn't a bad option either.

What sucks about Staff D2 is that there isn't a reliable damaging combo, the only thing that is reliable is doing D2, Staff Spin.

At this point, I'm wondering how people are zoning with NW.
A lot of Nightwings I've seen like to stay in one stance, which is understandable if the MU in general is better in that stance.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Escrima's D2 comes in handy when doing Spark forward dash cancel and you know they will jump or if the opponent jumped to throw an interactible.
If they are jumping towards me, maybe Scatterbombs but forwards/backwards J3 isn't a bad option either.

What sucks about Staff D2 is that there isn't a reliable damaging combo, the only thing that is reliable is doing D2, Staff Spin.

A lot of Nightwings I've seen like to stay in one stance, which is understandable if the MU in general is better in that stance.

D2 Stance change escrima fury ender of your choice

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

I agree completely with your post. His zoning to me, is a fun puzzle. It's most effective if you switch stances frequently, and keep your opponent guessing.

Has anyone tried punishing every jump with a ground pound? Obviously air attacks and projectiles mess up this strategy, but every other character that jumps gets punished.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
His zoning can be like Batman's. His strings create distance and are plus on block and on hit push full screen like bats b23. Obviously he isn't the best zoner in the game but he can zone. It has to be done differently against everyone though.

His ground spark to ground pound frame trap only works on a select few people from full screen so know your MU

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I agree completely with your post. His zoning to me, is a fun puzzle. It's most effective if you switch stances frequently, and keep your opponent guessing.

Has anyone tried punishing every jump with a ground pound? Obviously air attacks and projectiles mess up this strategy, but every other character that jumps gets punished.
I do it to Batman often to interrupt his Bats. When Batman rushes in with bats at the moment he's one dash away from me I let the ground spark go; sometimes I ever hold the ground spark for the option to let it or cancel it and dash back. Batman without the bats, I dash in quickly and do a quick J3 before he jumps (only if I see a pattern of often raw jumps). I tend to interrupt a lot of Zod's full screen madness with a ground spark, if it either hits or gets blocked, I get a free dash in; it's just something I use to keep him away from that moment he activates trait. Two dashes in if I see him jump in the air and do air fireballs, the tricky part is Zod's low lasers which are so positive so the whole zoning game can favor Zod so I look to play that match up as close up as possible.

I feel NW's zoning is great at interrupting the lame game. Just the mission is not going back to where you started (Sinestro MB fireballs, Air Lasers MB, nova blast, Zatanna's MB rings) because the Injustice fighting stage is so huge, one interruption isn't enough to reach your opponent at full screen. (Only if NRS gave NW his air zipline he uses in comics)

AssassiN

Noob

If I think the opponent is gonna jump, I use spark => worst case scenario is that they block the spark and you'll still be +.
How and when NW switches depends on the MU, you've got characters with floatier jumps(Bane, Grundy, Arrow, ...) and characters with "normal" jumps(Aquaman, ...).
Against floaty characters you better use spark while against others it's better to use Ground Pound MB after checking them with a normal Ground Pound. But it depends on the MU, what stance you are currently in and what you read.
Some players only dash forward instead of jumping, so best decision here is to stick with spark.

Decided today to try and get frame data on full screen Spark.
Here's what I found out:
- Full screen normal Spark is around +17 on block(maybe 1-2 frames more)
- Full screen MB Spark is around +33 on block(maybe 1-2 frames more)

This is important based on what the opponent's options are.
For example against Aquaman if he blocks an Spark, the mix-up begins:
- If you think Aquaman will jump, use another Spark(will AA him)
- If you think Aquaman will use From The Deep, switch and do Ground Pound MB to punish

Also found out that a Full Screen MB Spark guarantees a Ground Pound check, opponent cannot backdash.
It feels like a just-frame, but I'm not sure(stance change into GP takes 33 frames).

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Away from the zoning wars a bit, does anyone have a good use for ji1/ji2 mix-up in Escrima? At jump distance ji2 crosses up while ji1 doesn't and both with the same timing. It feels like a great 50/50 but if only we can find a good setup for that.

I use it sometimes when I have someone trapped in the corner and feel like going for some swag but that's risky. If we can find a good setup for that I feel it would be great.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I had a corner setup with NW that had a neutral jump 1 that was same side, and a j2 for cross up but I don't remember it right now. I'll lab it later.

Also I've seen people complaining about his lack of 50/50s but any time you land a hit in the corner b2 or u3 can be used to create a 50/50 where NW's position on screen looks the same , but can actually be on one side or the other. Not even the NW player knows where they are, which is why I use f213, and either confirm that's it's f213 or if I'm crossed up confirm off of the b2.

I posted a video on it a while back to the video thread, but I guess most people didn't see it. I'll make a new video on it soon.

Maybe NW is the "Cage" of Injustice. Doesn't deal with heavy zoning very well, no reliable low, and, with his staff stance especially, once he's in he can stay in. Granted there isn't a standing reset BnB like Cage had, but BnBs used that leaves NW close for follow up pressure.

Just a thought.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I agree but on that same note cage has some of the best mobility in MK, while NW has poor mobility but better zoning tools. I think more along the lines of Jax. Cage is more comparable to Flash.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Another thought. When guaranteed damage is on the table you have to take it. When on the frame, meter burn staff spin into standing one staff spin is a guaranteed 14% chip.

If after a hard knockdown, you can get them to respect your pressure, you can instantly go into this sequence for an extra 14% on top of any combo. A 34% meterless combo becomes 48% if this works. You also build three fourths of the bar you spent back in the process. This means if you use one bar of meter in your combo, you can then increase your damage to 38% or 40% plus the 14% chip meaning your total damage is over 50%.

I have less and less respect for ground spark cancel pressure When guaranteed damage is on the table like this. Ground spark cancels do literally half of a percent chip and build half as much meter as staff spin. It also has blaring holes that can easily get you poked and end your pressure.

#gspressureisdumb

Carry on