What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
Yea my biggest weakness with Commando (all variations really) is that I don't have much midscreen damage so people get a bit cheeky even when I consistently keep guessing right because one guess for me is a small reward but one guess for them is a damaging combo that might lead into a 50/50 or something.

Need to get that 35% midscreen combo down and eliminate one of my weaknesses.
How I noticed it got easier for me to hit was when I starting getting two things down.
- Cancelling the ball as earlier as possible, this gives you a lot more time to get the Dash into NJP
- When doing the NJP, I literally slide my thumb over both 1 and 2, I dunno if it actually helps but I'm guess the double inputs helps get it come out at the right time. I might just be crazy haha.

I never found the run part hard since I feel like there is a lot of time after the NJP.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I like this variation a lot. The way i play him is keep away (like mk9) then if they do something stupid do a stagger into a 50/50 either command grab or if i tgink theyre gonna do something njp

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Idk, I'd personally just parry the teleport just because I think it would send a better message to the opponent. The message being "I can read you like an open book".

I'll try doing the ball cancel combos more though to see if it helps me more but damn getting that NJP after the dash is pretty strict. I'm talking about:
112 x Ball Cancel > Dash > NJP > 32 > 112 > Command grab or ball.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
"Just parry the teleport". Not only are they hard to react to reliably but they cross up your input if you mistime it slightly...it's obviously ideal but idk how reliable. A good 19% punish with frame advantage is good or burn the meter for the combo. Parry should only be used if you have a sure read, if your opponent is just mashing, or, most often, in character specific situations against certain strings with gaps That you have labbed against (Liu kang F444 you can parry the third hit after blocking the low starter of the string is one example) I don't think you should mentally expect parries to be a cornerstone of your gameplay. TheY SHOULD definitely be in your back pocket and I know I'll be studying parryable strings if I know I'm facing a character, but don't get hung up on trying to predict single pokes and stuff

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
speaking of ball cancels, is it hard to do the cancel into njp? i try to practice it all the time, and i have yet to nail it :(
Yeah it's hard as shit at first a good way to learn how to this combo is to just dash forward and nap without doing the combo just do that for 5 mins btw when ure trying to learn this combo I would practice on Cassie cage since its a lot harder to do it on her cuz of her retarded hotbox if u can do it on Cassie u can do it on anyone

OmGxBdON

Yeah it's hard as shit at first a good way to learn how to this combo is to just dash forward and nap without doing the combo just do that for 5 mins
This might be obvious but just in case u didn't know if ure fightin jason n they do that retarded arm our move you can just parry them since they'll go reckless with that on

CanadianBaconX

Let's see how long this lasts...
There are already B312, NJP combos in the Combo Thread. (Guess no one reads that shit) however, it was said to not work on small hitbox characters so, keep that in mind.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
There are already B312, NJP combos in the Combo Thread. (Guess no one reads that shit) however, it was said to not work on small hitbox characters so, keep that in mind.
im more of a visual learner, besides i think that needs to be posted here as well since commando has such weak juggling capability.

OmGxBdON

A new easier corner meter less combo b312 b1 32 112 command grab it's very easy plus not hotbox dependent 38%

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The more i think about it, the more i think Commando may be a great compliment for Cyber Kano mains. Against rushdown, 50/50 characters that are hard to keep out, throwing out a parry in response to a 50/50 instead of just blocking seems ideal. The downside to guessing wrong is basically the same, but you're rewarded with more than just blocking with a parry.

Plus, unless i am mistaken his command throws have armor if MB'd, right? If so, the damage could stack up pretty fast.

What do Commando mains think? Is Cyber/Commando a good match?

OmGxBdON

The more i think about it, the more i think Commando may be a great compliment for Cyber Kano mains. Against rushdown, 50/50 characters that are hard to keep out, throwing out a parry in response to a 50/50 instead of just blocking seems ideal. The downside to guessing wrong is basically the same, but you're rewarded with more than just blocking with a parry.

Plus, unless i am mistaken his command throws have armor if MB'd, right? If so, the damage could stack up pretty fast.

You are absolutely right it's good to learn boy I a a commando main and I'm learning cybernetic as well cuz it's so good don't learn cutthroat it's trash

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
You are absolutely right it's good to learn boy I a a commando main and I'm learning cybernetic as well cuz it's so good don't learn cutthroat it's trash
No. Cutthroat has it's uses. Why is it bad?

OmGxBdON

No. Cutthroat has it's uses. Why is it bad?
First of all don't have godly back 1 our lord Jesus savior (it's prob gettin balanced lol) the reason for cutthroatt is that it does a lot of high dmg. But unless you have the buff on ure not doin anymore dmg then the other two variations so punishes are not much different then the other two variations. You lose all ure pressure tools as well. Don't get me wrong the dmg can get insane. But u lose amazing tools and utility and unless you get the buff which imo can only be viable in the corner. ure dmg is gonna do basically the same amount of dmg cybernetic or commando Kano would. The only plus I'd give cutthroat is the combos are easy as hell to do compared to commando. I'd say it's a good start off variation for Kano but commando and cybernetic are definetly way better.

OmGxBdON

First of all don't have godly back 1 our lord Jesus savior (it's prob gettin balanced lol) the reason for cutthroatt is that it does a lot of high dmg. But unless you have the buff on ure not doin anymore dmg then the other two variations so punishes are not much different then the other two variations. You lose all ure pressure tools as well. Don't get me wrong the dmg can get insane. But u lose amazing tools and utility and unless you get the buff which imo can only be viable in the corner. ure dmg is gonna do basically the same amount of dmg cybernetic or commando Kano would. The only plus I'd give cutthroat is the combos are easy as hell to do compared to commando. I'd say it's a good start off variation for Kano but commando and cybernetic are definetly way better.
Sorry for any retarded grammar I'm always postin from my iPad which auto corrects everything it's so find annoying

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters

That is how I play him, great pairing. I only mess around in cutthroat because I suck with it. I'm constantly torn between cyber and commando though. Cyber has b2 which I find godlike for catching people father away than most normals. It also has better punishment IMO with b1 into combo. But commando is so fun with the parry as you stated catching people who press buttons and then they sit and block and get cmd grabbed. Plus if I'm honest it's even more fun if you're into doing brutalities because you have access to all but 2 of them that Kano has.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball

That's what I've been using for Kano. Cutthroat feels like the odd man out and not in a good way.

for sure. im a commando main but cyber covers bad matchups pretty good.