What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Coach Steve Match Up Chart (Tentative)

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Now, before I continue. I will not respond to anyone flaming me for my opinions. This list is exactly that, MY OPINION.

For the record, you will not see Cutthroat often in this as I do not play the variation much anymore. VERY FEW match ups will I even consider Cutthroat over the other two variations. But without further ado, here you guys go. Enjoy, debate, argue, question, whatever you want, just don't attack me, I can explain why I feel the way I do for nearly every match up listed.

Favorable (Kano Wins)

6 - 4

Kung Lao (All Variations vs Commando)

Cassie Cage (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Ferra / Torr (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Ermac (All Variations vs Cybernetic, Commando)

Jason (All Variations vs Cybernetic, Commando)

Jax (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Kotal Kahn (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Mileena (All Variations vs Commando)

Takeda (All Variations vs All Variations)

Sub Zero (Unbreakable, Cryomancer vs Cybernetic)

Johnny Cage (All Variations vs All Variations)

Erron Black (Marksman vs All Variations)

Kano (Cybernetic vs Commando,Cutthroat)

Scorpion (All Variations vs Cybernetic,Commando)

EVEN MATCH UPS
5 - 5

Sub-Zero (Grandmaster vs Cybernetic)

Kung Jin (Bojutsu vs Commando)

Liu Kang (Flame Fist, Dragon's Fire vs All Variations)

Goro (All Variations vs Commando, Cybernetic)

Quan Chi (Summoner vs Commando, Cutthroat)

D'Vorah (Swarm Queen vs All Variations)

Jacqui Briggs (Full Auto vs Cybernetic)

Sonya Blade (All Variations vs All Variations)

Erron Black (Outlaw vs Cybernetic, Commando)

Kenshi (Balanced vs Commando)

Raiden (Thunder God vs Commando)

Reptile (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Tanya (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Kitana (All Variations vs Cybernetic)

Unfavorable (Kano Loses)

4 - 6

Shinnok (Bone Shaper, Imposter vs All Variations)

Predator (Hish-Qu-Ten, vs All Variations)

UNKNOWN:
Tremor (All Variations)

Predator (Hunter, Warrior)

Kenshi (Possessed, Kenjutsu)

Raiden (Master of Storms, Displacer)

Erron Black (Gunslinger)

Quan Chi (Warlock, Sorcerer)

Jacqui (High Tech, Shotgun)

D'Vorah (Brood Mother, Venomous)

Liu Kang (Dualist)

Shinnok (Necromancer)

Yes. According to this, I only believe Kano has 2 bad match ups. This is not because I love the character and am defending him to the ground. This is my own personal experience. There is nothing any other character has done to overwhelm me and have me say "Kano can't win this match up". Shinnok and HQT predator feel the most difficult for now, although I am slowly figuring out more and more.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
If you have the time (and I do realise it would require quite some time) I would LOVE to see your reasoning/tactics behind this. Especially those "controversial" 6-4 vs top tiers.

Thanks for keeping the community strong btw

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Why beating ermac? That match up is so hard. I can never seem to guess right inthe vortex and you cant trade projectiles. Its just sooo dumb

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
If you have the time (and I do realise it would require quite some time) I would LOVE to see your reasoning/tactics behind this. Especially those "controversial" 6-4 vs top tiers.

Thanks for keeping the community strong btw
No problem. Just do me a favor and make a list of the ones you want explained. When I have more time I'll explain each of them to you.

Why beating ermac? That match up is so hard. I can never seem to guess right inthe vortex and you cant trade projectiles. Its just sooo dumb
You can trade projectiles, just not when he has 3 orbs. Always watch the orbs. Because once you block one you can start trading for a little while without getting captured. Punishing Ermac heavy is the main thing you need to do. He doesn't really need meter in combos so he's going to break. And now he loses his wake up and has no stamina. He doesn't have the best tools up close in my opinion so you can proceed to rush him down and be more disrespectful. I feel the match up is easy when you really think about his buttons and tools vs yours. Could it be 5-5? Sure. It definitely could be if I gain enough experience to say yea Ermac can hang with Kano. But right now I don't feel like he can too well.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Lao, scorpion, Erron and Cassie specifically

Scorpion: Since he got nerfed. He lost his good pressure and now it's to your benefit to just be mad disrespectful with armored up balls and command grabs( if you opt to play commando. He doesn't have the best wake up options so you can continue rushing him down. If he burns the bar, fine, you're building more meter for more armor. His fast buttons are really negative too (d1, d4, etc) so that's also definitely something to keep in mind. In Commando you can keep going for D4 tick grabs and the only armor move you have to worry about is leg sweep which gives him no real frame advantage or any advantageous position. So he really just burnt a bar and didn't get much for it. Don't respect Scorpion and you'll be fine that's pretty much the point I'm getting at.

Cassie: Believe it or not you can keep her out very well. She has a hard time getting past the mid knife and the EX knives. If she's playing spec ops, the missile can be an issue sometimes. But the best way to deal with that if it's not on wake up is just hitting her with a D4 and then blocking. She's recovering from the D4 and losing the mix up she gets from the missile coming down. Create the space again and she has to start all over again. Hollywood it's even easier because now there is no threat of lock down from a missile. So it's easier to keep her away.

Erron Black: Marksman doesn't have armor moves that gives him real advantage, so it's in your benefit to just control space well and take advantage of any hit advantage you get. If he burns the bar it doesn't really matter, he doesn't have too much to gain for it. In Outlaw the fear of armor is there so now you actually have to play out the neutral and be careful with pressure when he has meter. His buttons are not better than yours either, D4 alot if they like to run in and Stand 2 or stand 1, and Kano can punish F132 (I think that's it, the overhead,low, mid gun string) with a F4. Strict timing but makes a huge difference on how EB has to play the neutral since now if he wants to be safe from the overhead low, he has to spend a bar.

Kung Lao: parts of 112124 whiff on Kano, which means he has some gaps to armor through. I like Commando because now Lao has to respect the fact that you have a command grab and can't just do nonstop pressure string after string. He has to be extra careful and if you have meter you can option select wake up EX spin with D3 into EX command grab and he just burned a bar and lost 20% for it. Punishment and spacing is crucial in this match otherwise it will look like it's harder than what it actually is.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Looks like a shock value "check out my alternative interpretation of MKX in the twilight zone!" thread to be honest.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Looks like a shock value "check out my alternative interpretation of MKX in the twilight zone!" thread to be honest.
There is nothing overwhelming in this game and nothing that doesn't really have a clear cut answer to it. I come from marvel where very little makes sense and almost nothing is certain until you see K.O.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
No problem. Just do me a favor and make a list of the ones you want explained. When I have more time I'll explain each of them to you.

You can trade projectiles, just not when he has 3 orbs. Always watch the orbs. Because once you block one you can start trading for a little while without getting captured. Punishing Ermac heavy is the main thing you need to do. He doesn't really need meter in combos so he's going to break. And now he loses his wake up and has no stamina. He doesn't have the best tools up close in my opinion so you can proceed to rush him down and be more disrespectful. I feel the match up is easy when you really think about his buttons and tools vs yours. Could it be 5-5? Sure. It definitely could be if I gain enough experience to say yea Ermac can hang with Kano. But right now I don't feel like he can too well.
Thats fair. But if he doesn't have orbs isnt he one read projectile away from teleporting and either getting those orbs back and getting much more damage than kano.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Thats fair. But if he doesn't have orbs isnt he one read projectile away from teleporting and either getting those orbs back and getting much more damage than kano.
He can teleport,but if he does do right after wasting an orb, he needs to spend the bar for a damaging conversion, if you're constantly pressing him, he probably won't have it. Zoning isn't your objective here regardless, he's not that great up close, you're better. I'm sure you can do the math from there.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
There is nothing overwhelming in this game and nothing that doesn't really have a clear cut answer to it. I come from marvel where very little makes sense and almost nothing is certain until you see K.O.
Sure, so you can outplay your opponents, that doesn't mean Kano goes even with Tempest Lao. Hell, you are saying he has the advantage, which is completely contradictory to the point you are trying to make, because by that logic there is nothing overwhelming about Kano when you play Kung Lao either.

But whatever, I'll let you have this thread, doesnt really affect me. It is pretty outlandish however, to put it lightly

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I agree with most of the stuff you have posted, including him being able to handle Jax and cassie but why would you say Commando beats Lao?

Also I would say Cutthroat is the best against Ermac and Scorpion and goes 6-4. Dragon's Fire Liu Kang is too much for Kano in any variation so kano goes 4-6 and I think Boneshaper goes 5-5 with cutthroat.

MrInsaynne

PG Coach Steve
Sure, so you can outplay your opponents, that doesn't mean Kano goes even with Tempest Lao. Hell, you are saying he has the advantage, which is completely contradictory to the point you are trying to make, because by that logic there is nothing overwhelming about Kano when you play Kung Lao either.

But whatever, I'll let you have this thread, doesnt really affect me. It is pretty outlandish however, to put it lightly
I think Lao loses because his main string (11212) is near useless because it has gaps on Kano that allow me to punish him every time he does it. The other strings he has aren't as good and he always has to respect the fact that I have a command grab whenever he's at a frame disadvantage (which is every string or every time he does a hat that's not meter burned)

If you think it's outlandish or whatever, that's cool. That's your opinion, I have reasons for every match up I put a number for. I'm not out here to force anyone to agree with me or anything. I'm here doing what everyone else does on this site, which telling other people what they think about a particular topic.

Tweedy

Noob
You don't need 11212 to win with Lao. I'd wager that most Lao mains would have nearly the same, if not the same success without it.

Tweedy

Noob
Your Ermac reply was cool, but the thread would be much more interesting and appreciated if you added some descriptions to each match up. Even if you don't have the time for that just do a couple. Make a thread about Kano vs X and Y characters instead. 2 descriptive breakdowns are better than just stating what you think about every match up with no reasoning.

The game is still pretty new. You can be so far ahead of everyone else with Kano, but that doesn't mean you're right. If your logic that led you to believe what you believe is stated, we can all figure out what the answer is at a much quicker rate than one person ever could, whether it's what you thought or something else. Many minds are better than one.

Bruh, no one is worried about the Dualist MU lol.

But I will say that Kano(Cutthroat and Cybernetic) beats Dualist without too much difficulty.
That's the thing, no one is worried about the mu, loses because they don't know. Dualist wins evo, then gets nerfed
:DOGE but fr tho. I don't think nano beats dualist kang