What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
THTB thanks for the ass whooping. I just can't get used to the lag online not that it seemed to effect you at all. Your reptile is Straight up nasty lol. Hopefully I can be more of a match for you next time.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Going out of order again, but me and Krayzie Bone tested out the Reptile vs Raiden matchup a lot today, and wow that's heavily in our favor.

If he teleports, free Elbow Dash.

If he uses B+3 1 2, free Elbow Dash.

If he uses 3 3 4, free Elbow Dash.

I didn't test it out for other chains beside this, but even if he cancels either of the last two hits of B+3 1 2 into teleport you can punish for free with an elbow dash.

I really really really like this matchup.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
I've only fought a few Raidens but I won them all and it feels like Reptile has the advantage in that fight. I'm really having problems with the good Shang Tsung players at the moment and Sub-Zero (imagine that)

Brahma

Noob
Are you sure about the elbow dash post b+3,2,1? That string is +1 on block, and his superman is the fastest special in the game IIRC.

Sabin

Elder God
I just wanna say I check this thread every 2 days or so to make up for lack of match experience. Thanks for everyone's hard work so far.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Going out of order again, but me and Krayzie Bone tested out the Reptile vs Raiden matchup a lot today, and wow that's heavily in our favor.

If he teleports, free Elbow Dash.

If he uses B+3 1 2, free Elbow Dash.

If he uses 3 3 4, free Elbow Dash.

I didn't test it out for other chains beside this, but even if he cancels either of the last two hits of B+3 1 2 into teleport you can punish for free with an elbow dash.

I really really really like this matchup.
Wow...serious? Reptile's dash is SOOOOOO good.

Also, vs Cyber Sub, the issue with the divekicks is that he can aim them so that they whiff. That's the killer part...you have to make a right read as to whether he's gonna whiff or just hit you. And it's totally not in your favor.

Sabin: Thanks...we're doing all we can to get the knowledge out there. Btw, is there anything you've been finding as far as matchups go?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Wow...serious? Reptile's dash is SOOOOOO good.

Also, vs Cyber Sub, the issue with the divekicks is that he can aim them so that they whiff. That's the killer part...you have to make a right read as to whether he's gonna whiff or just hit you. And it's totally not in your favor.

Sabin: Thanks...we're doing all we can to get the knowledge out there. Btw, is there anything you've been finding as far as matchups go?
You wont see me using Raiden against Reptile...

But at least now I know what to do when someone decides to be an asshole and goes Raiden mirrors... lol

I'll be messing with this character a lot.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
In regards to the Sub Zero match up I would like to share a couple of tricks when trying to fight against him. Like THTB's startegy it's all about staying back and put a priority on putting forceball on the screen so if there is a trade it turns in your favor since the most Sub Zero can do is slide for damage since theres a good chance you will unfreeze after Sub Zero gets launched. As well as making sure you don't elbow dash in to a ice clone. It's better to stay full screen and let him come to you by putting balls on the screen and putting him in situations where he is forced to block so you can rush him down

Secondly, which can be used against the rest of the cast I believe is that Reptile can ground crossup with dash if close enough when characters are about to recover. After a successful Elbow Dash, whiff the elbow dash towards the opponent to get close enough to ground cross up. I use this against Sub Zero to ground crossup foward dash into low block. If he tries to wake up attack with ice clone it misfires because Reptile gets too close to the character if you have good reactions the misfired ice clone is punishable by elbow dash. If he tries to wake up with slide you are able to block and punish with full combo.

Another thing I noticed about the game in general is the direction inputs is that there is no dedicated Down Back arrow in the input display for practice so it got me thinking on how I can quickly perform special attacks when ducking under fireballs. If you think about it like the shortcut inputs for SRK motions in SSF4 it's the exact same way. For example instead of B,B, 3 for forceball a different way it can be done from crouch position is hold D for crouch then DB, D, DB 3 which fires off a forceball from crouch instead of standing position to put forceballs on the screen immediately after the projectile passes over you.

If people can get on this I believe Sub Zero is no longer a threat like Raiden

Sabin

Elder God
THTB: Not really lol. I don't really get to play anyone offline unless its at a tournament so I end up having more questions than answers. I wont really be able to talk about anything with any kind of authority unless I play REO (still havent done that,) or LI Joe again (i learned a lot from that the week b4 pdp)

wonder why you guys think ermac is a good matchup for reptile, I find that once he gets at that range where gravity squeeze is unpunishable by elbow dash, it can be tough. also, because he can combo force lift off a jump punch it can be risky to challenge him in the air. I'm not sure at which ranges i can get away with doing fireballs either. and then fullscreen if i get comboed it can be easy to fall for the ground pound -> gravity squeeze trap unless there's something im missing. though I haven't played this match in two weeks (although I did get to play floe at the house and that was fun, but i was too drunk to learn anything lol.

The main thing I want to knows is, obviously crossup defense is good in this game if you have it since not everyone can escape crossup pressure for free/as easily as say KL/Rep...have u guys found a consistent way to elbow dash away from crossups 100%? my inputs of course get messed up on crossups.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
The main thing I want to knows is, obviously crossup defense is good in this game if you have it since not everyone can escape crossup pressure for free/as easily as say KL/Rep...have u guys found a consistent way to elbow dash away from crossups 100%? my inputs of course get messed up on crossups.
well what i find that works is i buffer back when in block if i think they are going to jump. If i see them go airborne, i just press forward and 2. Its alot easier than pressing b,f,2 when you see them jump because yea your inputs will get messed up if you don't do it almost instant.

AGUSTIN

Noob
Lol

Btw, Reptile's elbow is soooooooooo gold vs Raiden. 334 and b312 have small gaps he can be hit during between the second and third hits. Reptile gets free dash on each scenario. X-Ray is also possible if Raiden doesn't teleport after.
I haven't had any luck interrupting Raidens b321 with elbow. Is the timing strict? Have you tested this on human players offline?

THTB

About Ermac, that push sweet spot is good, but it's REALLY hard to keep Reptile there. If push gets blocked, Reptile gets freedom to move to wherever he wants, unless Ermac has you in the corner. Anywhere else is Reptile's game. Ermac loses to Reptile fullscreen, and both are are close to even up close...I think Reptile does better there.

As for the elbow interrupts on Raiden, I actually learned of these while playing online. It's fairly strict, but very doable.

I think Reptile will end up being able to win some matches because some strings are just not feasible vs him due to this ability.

THTB

Whiffing refers to completely missing a move. In combos, whiffing certain moves can allow for extra hits or straight up bigger combos than what would be possible otherwise.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Does anyone know if elbow dash is going to get nerfed in the patch? I've read on other forums that it might be patched, sorry if I already asked here.

Also, is CSZ dive kick punishable on block? I can't seem to punish him because of how he pushes himself back and I seem to be kind of stunned or whatever after the block.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Okay this pissed me off.. I played a guy who was smoke and handled him rather easily. Then he switches to rep and im thinking big mistake buddy. Idk if it was the lag or what but does nothing interrupt a blocked elbow dash into d+4? I felt like it was in block infinite. If I tried to punish the blocked elbow dash I got wrecked??

I posted this in the wrong thread:
Hi there reptile forum ppl, i'd like some tips on the kitana matchup. I mainly have problems with her zoning and her invincible get away move on wakeup (the square punch thing).

THTB

Okay this pissed me off.. I played a guy who was smoke and handled him rather easily. Then he switches to rep and im thinking big mistake buddy. Idk if it was the lag or what but does nothing interrupt a blocked elbow dash into d+4? I felt like it was in block infinite. If I tried to punish the blocked elbow dash I got wrecked??
Elbow is 100% punishable. If you couldn't do anything, you got hit with a major lag tactic.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Anyone have Sektor experience?

I ran into a really good one last night and I was wondering if you guys knew any tricks.

THTB

I've only played maybe 1 Sektor I could use as a basis. I'm pretty sure ScheissNussen or Unconkable would be the best bets for Sektor experience.

Sabin

Elder God
any idea what general gameplan vs quanchi is? i played reo offline and got exposed hardcore lol. have no exp against him or playing as him

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
any idea what general gameplan vs quanchi is? i played reo offline and got exposed hardcore lol. have no exp against him or playing as him
rush the shit outta quan and throw in a fast fb for pressure once in a while just to get him to telestomp, then run under and punish. i mean that works but REO is on another lvl.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Just know his wakeup options are ass, and that his options off of a stagger state are Overhead which is NOT hitconfirmable, but does combo into trance, and a move that hits low and then overhead, which is hitconfirmable into two more chains and then trance.

All of those lead back into a stagger state.