What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Yeah, it's not too bad...just in Sub's favor.

Chef, Kano vs Reptile is probably 5/5 or 6/4 Kano. Yes, Kano can just knife and there's not much you can do other than jump over, but Kano can't use upball shenanigans. If it's blocked, he gets knocked down...even for Kano, that's not a position he wants to be in. Once Reptile's in, Kano's gonna have trouble. Dash 100% keeps Kano in check.
You're waaaay underestimating Kano. First of all you can't jump over Knives safely most of the time. He can even anti air you from full screen if you jump over a knife.

He has chains that leave him incredibly + frames on block, so he wrecks from inside too. Remember, Up Ball deals 11% and knocks down too, so the risk/reward in it is about the same.

The only tool that's good in this matchup is Elbow Dash to punish Up Ball. NOTHING else that we have gives us an advantage in that matchup.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
You're waaaay underestimating Kano. First of all you can't jump over Knives safely most of the time. He can even anti air you from full screen if you jump over a knife.

He has chains that leave him incredibly + frames on block, so he wrecks from inside too. Remember, Up Ball deals 11% and knocks down too, so the risk/reward in it is about the same.

The only tool that's good in this matchup is Elbow Dash to punish Up Ball. NOTHING else that we have gives us an advantage in that matchup.
well ex-hand goes through knives but can probly be punished by ball. ive yet to test this

Kwon

---->----
Just watched the Chris G vs Tom Brady match, wow incredible stuff. Congrats to ChrisG!
Not many can do what Chris G did!

He brought Reptile to a whole new level and utilized perfect timing on Elbows and the whole Reptile-arsenal! :)

Great play, Great reading by Chris, Great Tournament, Great Experience!

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I'm gonna hit the lab later and experiment with punishing his up ball on wakeup, Kano like Kung Lao and Ermac will always use their wakeups. I want to believe that his up ball may be punishable if you give yourself a small amount of distance and throw a FB out; the up ball may hop over it though. So, perhaps the EX FB may be the only option.

I hate the up ball on wakeup, everything else I can punish. Kung Lao, Ermac, Baraka, Sub...hell I can even punish another Reptile but Kano's up ball is eluding me at the moment. I played Griefa not long ago and took THTB's advice about holding and releasing block between the knife spams and that certainly helped a lot. Also, EX knife did not hit me while crouched, so they must have changed that in the patch which I'm happy about. Also, I was able to get in between the knives with the x-ray.

Just keep watching the stream of MichaelAngelo's Kabal holding Aris' Kano's head on a stick, it's as close as a public execution that we're gonna get!

seriously am about to lose all hope for this game. i cant do anything against low spammers. i block low i get hit, i block high i get hit. end of story, and i cant punnish or jump over or anything online. i feel everytime i try to do anything the other person is just faster, what the hell am i doing wrong. anyone wonna play me on xbl and give me critique? i dont have mic because i have turtle beach + pdp stick, and i dont think you want to hear the local radio station instead of me talk lol it is weird.

edit: also, where can i seek help for mobility issues, such as learning basic techniques and strats on when to jump over, timing and what not?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
You can add me RapZiLLa54. I'm not the best by any means but I'll see if I can help ya out with some basics.

RapZiLLa54

Not many can do what Chris G did!

He brought Reptile to a whole new level and utilized perfect timing on Elbows and the whole Reptile-arsenal! :)

Great play, Great reading by Chris, Great Tournament, Great Experience!
Yeah it really was incredible to watch. Its funny, Saturday night I was playing this kid at a friends house who mained Sub and Noob and he asked why I didn't play with anyone else. I said because I've always been a big Reptile fan, hes Godzilla in a ninja outfit lol. His exact words "Yeah but Reptile can only take you so far."

WRONG lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

I actually agreed with you on the projectile part lol...

Idk, I'd need to play a really good Kano. Right now, I don't think it's particularly bad, but I'm likely wrong. You have the Kano experience, so if anything, your input is a lot more accurate at this point.

RapZiLLa54

Isn't Reptiles invisibility supposed to go through projectiles if timed right? Is this ever used or even possible? I always assumed it would since that's why his x-ray goes through projectiles.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I actually agreed with you on the projectile part lol...

Idk, I'd need to play a really good Kano. Right now, I don't think it's particularly bad, but I'm likely wrong. You have the Kano experience, so if anything, your input is a lot more accurate at this point.
I've played against multiple good Kanos, so I feel really confident in my assessment of this matchup.

Didn't a random Kano knock Chris G into losers at CEO? That alone should say a lot...

Isn't Reptiles invisibility supposed to go through projectiles if timed right? Is this ever used or even possible? I always assumed it would since that's why his x-ray goes through projectiles.
I think it used to, but it got patched out.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
IMO crouch and spit are your friend against kano if you want to close the distance, of course once you hit that sweet spot mid screen range you have to watch for kano's balls (how else do I say it?). Once you get close, stay close and pressure knockdowns with slow balls.. I need more matchup experience but so far it's worked out well.

Whats some good strategies against Liu Kang. His zoning from a distance is too good for reptile. I played a guy tonight for a few matches and he kept locking me in w/ f12 or zoning me out with fireballs(ground and instant air)... I didnt have too many problems with his b312 and 213 seeing that their pretty easy to fuzzy guard... The problem is I could never punish them properly. Not sure if it was the lag or not...but I could never get a 321 combo going after blocking those two strings. The best I could do was elbow dash or d4 into acid hand...however after the d4 he would just come back in with the pokes.

RapZiLLa54

Going to the Gamers Edge tonight for my first experience in the competitive gaming scene. ChrisG and REO are going to be there.. I should of have a ton of input of WHAT NOT TO DO lol

RapZiLLa54

And you made me realize that theres an entire other level to achieve. After those 5 or so matches we had I took a ton a notes from playing you. Your spacing and timing is so consistent that I've been trying to achieve such awesomeness ever since. I've only ever played on a casual level until I saw first hand what a high level player plays like and I've been hooked since.

RapZiLLa54

Johnny Cage is beyond broken with the new patch. His block strings are insane now and he seems to have the advantage on everything. Armor on shadow kick is .....wtf.... Granted I was playing REO but chrisg had the same problems as well.

Something definitely happened to reps xray. Both scoot and I experienced the same thing. I tried to go through a shadow tackle and I got poked out. Scoot got ice cloned... Scoot great meeting ya man hope to catch ya next week.

GNG Iniquity

Johnny Cage is beyond broken with the new patch. His block strings are insane now and he seems to have the advantage on everything. Armor on shadow kick is .....wtf....
Truth be told, I've been picking him up due to the armor. I'm so sick of getting locked down by Liu Kang, Cyrax and Kano with Rep. All of those matches are just downright aggravating. I don't see why Rep wasn't given start up projectile armor on his EX invis, he's so fucked when zoned out in those match ups. All you can do is pray for your x-ray but I've been knived out of if when facing Kano before.

I mean, really, what fucking good is projectile armor on acid hand? Noob and Sub, that's it. Hell, I can at least hop over Noob's shit and I usually go 50/50 on Sub; I've yet to even bother using EX acid hand. I mean, gimme a break, Nightwolf was given ARMOR on his dash; not projectile armor, flat out armor. He could already reflect projectiles, and he's given armor?!

Balance, they said...ha. No wonder there's so much damn counter picking in this game.

GNG Iniquity

Whats some good strategies against Liu Kang.
Against a smart Liu Kang, it's a rough match imo. He outjabs you, he out zones you, all you can do is linger around midscreen and attempt to punish him with dash and slide. You don't want to get juggled to the wall, you don't want to get zoned out, and you certainly don't want to be in the corner where you'll be chipped to death. Overly aggressive Liu Kang's are easy since they don't zone you and they'll allow you to punish them with dash frequently.