What's new

Breakthrough Character specific stance changes effect environmental bounces! Ridiculous!

I really enjoy this game. Can't wait to play it whenever I get a chance. However, this is a serious problem and it needs to be addressed. There is no way this can become strategic. It's just too random and its too much to think about during a match. I'll still play the shit out of this game but I can't take it as seriously at this point.

LockM

Noob
NRS incompetence, nothing else. Also oes this mean they still use 3D collision? If it is hitboxes shouldn't this be an easy fix.

NRS incompetence, nothing else. Also oes this mean they still use 3D collision? If it is hitboxes shouldn't this be an easy fix.
I think an easy fix could be to make the Interactable attack much bigger so that it whiffs less often. Instead of tweaking every characters hitboxes which could lead into unnecessary buffs.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
The characters automatically change stances on their own when fighting, so removing the stance button would only make things worse because you'll lose the only way you'll have some sort of control over this randomness.
Do you honestly think NRS will program moves that switch your stances when there's not a stance switch button?

trufenix

bye felicia
Do you honestly think NRS will program moves that switch your stances when there's not a stance switch button?
It's not a simple matter of just nuking animations that end facing one way, its that NRS can't (or won't) do whatever wizardry Capcom has applied to their models / skins / skeletons to map the same animations to the left side of the body as the right.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It's not a simple matter of just nuking animations that end facing one way, its that NRS can't (or won't) do whatever wizardry Capcom has applied to their models / skins / skeletons to map the same animations to the left side of the body as the right.
Well, wouldn't it just be a matter of slightly changing the animation?

I'm probably oversimplifying but that kind of seems all that'd be necessary. I don't know anything about programming though, so it could be any factor that they have, or they just wanted to do it for shits and giggles.

trufenix

bye felicia
Well, wouldn't it just be a matter of slightly changing the animation?

I'm probably oversimplifying but that kind of seems all that'd be necessary. I don't know anything about programming though, so it could be any factor that they have, or they just wanted to do it for shits and giggles.
I don't honestly know, that's why I call it wizardry. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say they could
a) mokap (or at least manually animate) two versions of every move, but that means storing two sets of animation in memory for every character AND tweaking two sets of animation for any buff / nerf / cosmetic change down the line.

b) They could build models that are uniform enough to accept the same animation from either limb (and build an engine that supports it), but NRS likes to get pretty creative with their models and animations, so it may not be feasable down the chain.

Given what I know of capcom's dev processes, I'm assuming they're using that second one because they could give a shit about creative modeling. Even so, there's always the minute chance that UE3 simply can't or won't do it. Capcom uses Havok and a couple other physics engines for their environments, but I think MT Framework (which powers Marvel / RE) and whatever makes SF4 / SFxT run were totally built in house.

tataki

Noob
Even so, there's always the minute chance that UE3 simply can't or won't do it. Capcom uses Havok and a couple other physics engines for their environments, but I think MT Framework (which powers Marvel / RE) and whatever makes SF4 / SFxT run were totally built in house.
Don't blame Unreal Engine. Blame the fact that MK9's code is based heavily off of MKDC, a 3D game without 2D hitboxes.

Come on guys, NRS meant to do this, it is their artistic expression and we need to appreciate the artists view....... right? Isn't that how people will defend NRS' crappy game making skillllllz?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
And this is why I stop taking Blazblue serious. There were too many character specific combos to remember. I played Tager in that game. Anti-Catwoman tech FTW though.:D

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
This is certainly stupid/annoying, but it is what it is, and I don't imagine they're going to fix it. I think there are likely too many factors at play here to safely fix this without blowing something else up. Changing the size of the interactable-attack hitboxes would probably just lead to weirdness where you'd have to block an interactable bounce attempt from way further than it looks like it should hit.

The stance change button is completely useless, and I never even understood why it was in MK9. There is nothing interesting or strategic about it. In a fighting game that takes place on a 2D plane, what's the point? It's done nothing but cause problems.