What's new

Tech Catwoman's new crossup tech

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I love tech like this, but the problem is people online like to mash out specials and you will end up eating a sword flip or something, :|

Cool tech goes out the window when it comes to this game I feel like sometimes... Like the GL reset, people can just mash a wake up attack. :|

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I love tech like this, but the problem is people online like to mash out specials and you will end up eating a sword flip or something, :|

Cool tech goes out the window when it comes to this game I feel like sometimes... Like the GL reset, people can just mash a wake up attack. :|
They still have to know which way to input it.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
then is catwomans f3 the move where she jumps in the air and does the splits? or what?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
it looks like it did hit at least once, i mean it was bouncing him up in the air wasn't it?

webreg

Noob
What? F1 and B1 are 16/14 frames. It's a true 50/50, you can't fuzzy guard it...so...it's very feasible. This is what Catwoman is built around.Edit: if you only ever do F112, don't people just stand-block you?
You didn't understand what I was getting at and you wrongly assume me to be an ignoramus. My previous post is misleading and doesn't exactly express what I was trying to say. This here is crossup tech. The idea being that wake up attack and block controls are reversed (or not in a double cross up). If you always follow up on the crossup with the low starter people just duck and all this tech is useless. My conclusion based on probability distribution is that the F1,1,2 string is preferable in 2/3 of the chances you get.

crossup, low starter - blocked by forward block and down block
crossup, overhead starter - blocked by forward block
Double-crossup, low starter - blocked by normal block and down block
Double-crossup, overhead starter - blocked by normal block

We are discussing those four setups in this thread here. Based on this distribution it is preferable in about 66% of the time to employ the overhead starter because it is 50% less likely to be blocked. This obviously assumes a neutral opponent with no preferences and a random block distribution. The frequencies have obviously to be adapted to the opponent in question in the course of the match.

Basic psychology also suggest that people overwhelmed by stimuli revert back to their basic, most simple instincts that don't require cognitive processing. In this case this means that they are most likely to press down to block if they are confused by the crossup. This further strengthens the argument that the overhead starter is preferable and should be used more frequently than the low starter although obviously not exclusively.

Conclusion
A lot of people will still not get it so let me make it as simple as I can. If you train this tech and you want to use it in real matches, then you should use the overhead twice as much as the low starter because it has a higher chance of catching the opponent. If you detect that your opponent doesn't duck on wakeup, then obviously use the low starter more but as long as you don't know that the overhead is the better choice obviously.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
webreg

Nope.

crossup, low starter - blocked by forward block and down block - Blocked by down block only. How is a low hit blocked by a "forward" (standing?) block?
Double-crossup, low starter - blocked by normal block and down block - Blocked by down block only. How is a low hit blocked by a "forward" (standing?) block?

It's called a 50/50 for a reason man. I think you're making this way more complicated for yourself than it really is. According to your math, the low starter has a 0% chance of success whereas the overhead has 50% chance.

And furthermore, on the psychology, we're talking about a fighting game not a car crash. The reason a player at intermediate-pro level skill would be potentially overwhelmed vs Catwoman is because they understand that they have to make one of the following decisions after a HKD from Catwoman:

Block low (50% chance of being put into another 40% HKD)
Block high (50% chance of being put into another 40% HKD)
Attempt a wakeup (chance of being blown up by NJ1 or crossover jump)
Attempt a backdash (chance of being blown up by jump-in)

You didn't understand what I was getting at and you wrongly assume me to be an ignoramus. My previous post is misleading and doesn't exactly express what I was trying to say.
I didn't assume anything about you. I read your post and responded accordingly. If your post is misleading, which it was, it sounds like I read it correctly and got misled. However, this last post of yours is equally misleading. :)

webreg

Noob
webreg
crossup, low starter - blocked by forward block and down block - Blocked by down block only. How is a low hit blocked by a "forward" (standing?) block?
Double-crossup, low starter - blocked by normal block and down block - Blocked by down block only. How is a low hit blocked by a "forward" (standing?) block?
Come on Ninj, this is not so complicated. If you get crossed up you need to block in the opposite direction than you initially assumed. This is what I mean by writing "forward block". If you get double crossed up you block the same way you initially assumed before the crossups happened. Is that so hard to understand? As I said already you assume again that I am so fucking stupid that I believe something can be blocked by walking forward. Stop doing that. Think before you answer.

Block low (50% chance of being put into another 40% HKD)
Block high (50% chance of being put into another 40% HKD)
Attempt a wakeup (chance of being blown up by NJ1 or crossover jump)
Attempt a backdash (chance of being blown up by jump-in)
That's simply wrong. Since it is a cross up or double cross up the option about blocking high is split up into "blocking high right" and "blocking high left", same with wakeup and backdash. This entire thread is about this. And that's why the math is not about a 50/50 but about a ((50/50)(50/50)). There are 7 choices the defender has to pick from in a time frame of less than 1 second. And my point is that the "duck" option is prevalent in such a scenario.

Ninj

Come on Ninj, this is not so complicated. If you get crossed up you need to block in the opposite direction than you initially assumed. This is what I mean by writing "forward block". If you get double crossed up you block the same way you initially assumed before the crossups happened. Is that so hard to understand? As I said already you assume again that I am so fucking stupid that I believe something can be blocked by walking forward. Stop doing that. Think before you answer.

True...the inputs get reversed for blocking...but that's not the difficult part of the situation. The fact that forward becomes back and back becomes forward to block the overhead isn't the tough part of the situation here. The tough part of the decision is the read, and that's where the 50/50 comes in. Your opponent has to read that you're crossing through once or twice and then decide high or low to block. That's a 50/50. You can't count on a high-level player to screw up which way they block - it's the read that you're trying to mess with. They can handle holding the correct direction for the read they're making.

The crossing through multiple times and the correct direction to block are two different things. They aren't connected, though they happen quickly. The cross-throughs are meant to make your opponent make the wrong read for blocking.

If you're saying that they can just sit there and hold down to block both directions of the low hit vs having to switch between holding forward or holding back (depending on the true direction the attack is coming from) then you're theory-fighting, and that's a whole different conversation.

The setup is a 50/50. The crossthroughs can help make the opponent confused, but the situation they're in when it comes down to B1/F1 is a 50/50 setup.

I really do think you're making this more complicated than it really is. I don't think you're stupid, nor am I assuming anything about you.

webreg

Noob
If you're saying that they can just sit there and hold down to block both directions of the low hit vs having to switch between holding forward or holding back (depending on the true direction the attack is coming from) then you're theory-fighting, and that's a whole different conversation.
Why? Everything in this forum, EVERYTHING is theory with the exception of match-videos and even discussing them often ends in a theoretic discussions. The only buttons I press here are on my keyboard and the only reads I do here are the postings.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I am not that knowledgeable but wouldnt the best option for the confused opponent in this situation be to neutral jump? If he does and you do anything he can come down with an attack and go into a combo punish. I guess if you wait for it you can blow him up, but what are the chances that you set this up and then go for nothing. I don't know just thinking out loud.

Ninj

Why? Everything in this forum, EVERYTHING is theory with the exception of match-videos and even discussing them often ends in a theoretic discussions. The only buttons I press here are on my keyboard and the only reads I do here are the postings.

I didn't say it was wrong or bad. I said it was a different discussion, a different point entirely. Not related to the one we're discussing in this thread. :) The setup ends in a 50/50. The setup itself is built to confuse the opponents inputs. This confusion doesn't change the fact that they have to guess whether it's a low or a high hit, and it doesn't incapacitate the opponent from being able to make an attempt at making the right read, it simply makes it more difficult. But again, in the end, the opponent has to make a read as to block high or low. The mechanical movements involved in doing so don't change - it's either high, or it's low. The confusion factor is another point entirely - the psychology behind what direction someone may generally want to press, etc is a supremely complex subject to debate and given that I don't have a degree in this background I'm not willing or able to debate it. We'd also have to discuss typical training of tournament-level, top-placing players and their general mentality in these situations to be able to talk accurately about that psychology and how effective this setup truly is.

*takes a deep breath*

In the mean time, this setup can confuse your opponent because the b2 is an ambiguous crossthrough and also gives you, Catwoman, the option to crossthrough again for additional confusion. The crux as to why it's confusing is that the opponent has to make these decisions quickly unless they're expecting this exact scenario, in which case it's still a 50/50.

Ninj

I am not that knowledgeable but wouldnt the best option for the confused opponent in this situation be to neutral jump? If he does and you do anything he can come down with and attack into combo. I guess if you wait for it you can blow him up, but what are the chances that you set this up and then go for nothing. I don't know just thinking out loud.

If you're going for a F1/B1 as the Catwoman player, you have time after the B2 to attempt a F1/B1 before the opponent can jump. If you crossthrough again, I believe the opponent would have enough time to neutral jump, giving them another option to try and get out. I don't know that for a fact though - it would be useful if someone tested that scenario to really flesh it out.

The reason you can hit someone before they jump is because their hitbox becomes active again before they've full reached a neutral position (standing), giving the person who knocked the other person down the advantage.

A well timed backdash may also be able to get out of it due to the invincibility frames backdashes get at startup.

webreg

Noob
This is the last time I make an attempt to explain this simple concept and then I'm out of here looking for a forum where theory like this is welcome and people are willing to sit down, read carefully, think and then discuss more theoretical aspects.

The situation is as follows. The opponent (on the right) is knocked down right under CW (on the left) after the double F3 from a wall bounce like shown in the video above. We are only considering this tech here and ignore all other options. The attacker has now 4 options to continue pressure: Crossup/low, crossup/overhead, double-crossup/low, double-crossup/overhead. Let's assume the defender want's to block to keep this example simple. The defender has three blocking options: left, right, down. If we match the options of the attacker to the options of the defender we can see that there 4x3=12 scenarios.

crossup/low -> block left -> combo
crossup/low -> block right -> combo
crossup/low -> block down -> block

double-crossup/low -> block left -> combo
double-crossup/low -> block right -> combo
double-crossup/low -> block down -> block

crossup/overhead -> block left -> block
crossup/overhead -> block right -> combo
crossup/overhead -> block down -> combo

double-crossup/overhead -> block left -> combo
double-crossup/overhead -> block right -> block
double-crossup/overhead -> block down -> combo

Defensive summary:
- block left: 3x combo, 1x block
- block right: 3x combo, 1x block
- block down: 2x combo, 2x block

If the defender isn't able to react/read the crossups and needs to guess then he will use the "down block" more often than the other two options because it is 25% more likely to succeed. To compensate for that CatWoman should use the overhead option after the crossup/double-crossup 25% more often than the low starter to shift the probability back into the center in order to make the tech truly 50/50 again. Simple mathematical probability distribution. I guess I have to mention this here although it should be obvious. All this theory obviously assumes a neutral game between the players. This is the first combo of the first game they play against each other, they don't know each other, see each other, hear each other and have no knowledge of the respective preferences, tactics, past performances or anything else. This is just basic math that ignores everything else. There is no other way to do this.

Bye

Zoidberg747

This is the last time I make an attempt to explain this simple concept and then I'm out of here looking for a forum where theory like this is welcome and people are willing to sit down, read carefully, think and then discuss more theoretical aspects.

The situation is as follows. The opponent (on the right) is knocked down right under CW (on the left) after the double F3 from a wall bounce like shown in the video above. We are only considering this tech here and ignore all other options. The attacker has now 4 options to continue pressure: Crossup/low, crossup/overhead, double-crossup/low, double-crossup/overhead. Let's assume the defender want's to block to keep this example simple. The defender has three blocking options: left, right, down. If we match the options of the attacker to the options of the defender we can see that there 4x3=12 scenarios.

Defensive summary:

If the defender isn't able to react/read the crossups and needs to guess then he will use the "down block" more often than the other two options because it is 25% more likely to succeed. To compensate for that CatWoman should use the overhead option after the crossup/double-crossup 25% more often than the low starter to shift the probability back into the center in order to make the tech truly 50/50 again. Simple mathematical probability distribution. I guess I have to mention this here although it should be obvious. All this theory obviously assumes a neutral game between the players. This is the first combo of the first game they play against each other, they don't know each other, see each other, hear each other and have no knowledge of the respective preferences, tactics, past performances or anything else. This is just basic math that ignores everything else. There is no other way to do this.

Bye
Just so you know I completely get what you are saying and I agree.

Adding on to that, F1 has a much bigger range, and will therefore be useful no matter what positioning you happen to be in, instead of b12 that has a relatively short range.

Ninj

Defensive summary:

Bye
This is, just as simply, why you're incorrect. Zoidberg747 you should hear this too:

You're giving the low starter two chances to hit by saying both left and right lead to a combo. This isn't correct, making all of your math wrong. The blocking is actually left OR right. Again, you're assuming the player is unable to see which side Catwoman is on and default to down block to cover both. This assumption is saying the blocking player is mid or low level in their abilities to play the game. I'm assuming high level players who understand that they need to guess the cross up and then guess the correct block. Yes that cross up and confuse them to make them block incorrectly, but the correct way to block is still a 50/50.

Against a low level player who just has no idea, yes an overhead might work better. I've played plenty of high level players who, even online, understand how to block during cross up pressure. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it doesn't, but I've seen no tendency to block low because they think "I have no reaction skills to Catwoman crossing through me and therefore I should block low more often."

Sorry dude, you can make math say anything you want. Doesn't mean it's correct.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zoidberg747

This is, just as simply, why you're incorrect. Zoidberg747 you should hear this too:

You're giving the low starter two chances to hit by saying both left and right lead to a combo. This isn't correct, making all of your math wrong. The blocking is actually left OR right. Again, you're assuming the player is unable to see which side Catwoman is on and default to down block to cover both. This assumption is saying the blocking player is mid or low level in their abilities to play the game. I'm assuming high level players who understand that they need to guess the cross up and then guess the correct block. Yes that cross up and confuse them to make them block incorrectly, but the correct way to block is still a 50/50.

Against a low level player who just has no idea, yes an overhead might work better. I've played plenty of high level players who, even online, understand how to block during cross up pressure. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it doesn't, but I've seen no tendency to block low because they think "I have no reaction skills to Catwoman crossing through me and therefore I should block low more often."

Sorry dude, you can make math say anything you want. Doesn't mean it's correct.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
But if they just block low they dont have to block the crossup, they can block either side. With the overhead they have to guess. Unless I am mistaken that they can block both sides by holding down, in which case you ould be right.

Also like I was saying, f11 also has better range making it more useful in more situations.