What's new

Guide Captain Marvel's Combo Thread

Yaysian

#putsmokeinmkx
I dunno why you'd do that combo. If you land j2 f22 just let it hit then reset dbf1 MB b3 j.3 f2 db1 and you've done relatively same damage and spend 1 less bar.
Eh I'm trying to find optimal damage combos because sometimes going for guaranteed damage over setups is what wins the match.

So I'm wanting to learn this character, as he's the one that stood out to me. I'm just wondering can someone explain to me exactly what "cancelling" is, and what "deep jump" is. This is the first fighting game I've cared enough to get good at, so I don't really know all the terms. Also with some of these combo's in the main page, no matter how fast or slow or in the middle I seem to time my attacks I just can't seem to pull them off. Can anyone give me tips/pointers? Greatly appreciated.

So I'm wanting to learn this character, as he's the one that stood out to me. I'm just wondering can someone explain to me exactly what "cancelling" is, and what "deep jump" is. This is the first fighting game I've cared enough to get good at, so I don't really know all the terms. Also with some of these combo's in the main page, no matter how fast or slow or in the middle I seem to time my attacks I just can't seem to pull them off. Can anyone give me tips/pointers? Greatly appreciated.
Canceling is interupting move A with move B. to be more precise deleting the recovery frames of move A by activating moveB and thus go into startup frames of move B. In most games most of the times move A stands for a normal move and move B stands for a special move. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try to explain better.

I don't know what deep jump is but i think that would mean hitting your opponent late during your jump causing you to hit them in the chest or stomach instead of their head. This would give you more frame advantage

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
f22 on hit grants a guaranteed HM

f22~4 on hit gives you a mixup between HM and AC and now you are powered up. (they may be able to jump out or poke... for sure they can armor b3/f3)

End your juggle with sweep or EX Torpedo and you get a free HM unless they do a wakeup attack. Sweep is more effective as you cannot backdash out, only wakeup and the window to escape is very small.

Shazam is pretty devastating when he has meter and lands a combo.

Trait setup (escapable, however effective):

Free grab with oki setup:

Jump 3 combos:

Canceling is interupting move A with move B. to be more precise deleting the recovery frames of move A by activating moveB and thus go into startup frames of move B. In most games most of the times move A stands for a normal move and move B stands for a special move. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try to explain better.

I don't know what deep jump is but i think that would mean hitting your opponent late during your jump causing you to hit them in the chest or stomach instead of their head. This would give you more frame advantage
I have to be honest, that confused me more than anything. I've been in a discussion with my girlfriend (yes my girlfriend takes an interest in games) and she seems to think cancelling would mean a bounce cancel thing? Is that wrong or what?

And I watched that youtube video of some guy in this thread just now pulling of a pretty nasty shazam combo and I noticed after atlas' torpedo he grabbed then threw him at the end, how does one do that as I can never pull that off?

Would anyone be willing to add me and show me the ropes? I'd be greatly appreciative, cause at the moment I can't seem to hit any decent combo's. can only manage a few of the weaker ones. And I don't know what it is that's holding me back. Well I do it's timing/incorrect cancelling cause I don't even know what it is. But no matter what I try my timing always seems to be wrong.

But yeah I'd appreciate it if someone would be willing to help me out.

I have to be honest, that confused me more than anything. I've been in a discussion with my girlfriend (yes my girlfriend takes an interest in games) and she seems to think cancelling would mean a bounce cancel thing? Is that wrong or what?

And I watched that youtube video of some guy in this thread just now pulling of a pretty nasty shazam combo and I noticed after atlas' torpedo he grabbed then threw him at the end, how does one do that as I can never pull that off?

Would anyone be willing to add me and show me the ropes? I'd be greatly appreciative, cause at the moment I can't seem to hit any decent combo's. can only manage a few of the weaker ones. And I don't know what it is that's holding me back. Well I do it's timing/incorrect cancelling cause I don't even know what it is. But no matter what I try my timing always seems to be wrong.

But yeah I'd appreciate it if someone would be willing to help me out.
Maybe I can break it down a bit for you. This is a somewhat simplified breakdown on frame data and cancelling.

Each move has 3 major phases in the animation. Usually these are measured terms of 'frames' of animation. There are 60 frames in a second. Don't get too bogged down in the specific data right now but just know that they are measured in tiny fractions of seconds.

The first is the startup, which is how long it takes (in frames) between you pressing the button and the move actually being able to hit. A good example of long startup is Shazam's Bolt of Zeus special. The time it takes for the lightning to come down from the sky to Shazam's hand and the swinging motion as he throws it is the startup.

The second phase is active frames. These are the frames of the attack animation that actually connect with the opponent. A good example is any characters b+3 attack. You can charge up the startup frames for a while, but when you release and the punch (or whatever) actually comes out, those are the active frames that can hit.

The third phase is the recovery. Recovery is how long it takes after performing an attack before you can perform another action. A good way to see this is with a d+2 attack. After the character does the uppercut move, there's a pause before you can walk sideways again. Those are the recovery frames.

The concept of cancelling is to perform a new input during the recovery frames of a move so that the character ignores the rest of the recovery animation and performs the new move instead. There are restrictions on what moves can cancel out of what (and they vary hugely in other games that support cancelling, like Street Fighter). Typically, you can only cancel normal attacks (regular punch buttons) with special moves. Not all normal attacks can always be cancelled, and not all special moves are always appropriate to cancel into. In some games like Street Fighter you can further cancel from a special move to a super move but I don't think that applies in this (though I haven't tested specifically).

A good sample of performing a cancel is to use Shazam's 22 string and cancel into Herculean Might. The 22 string causes Shazam to do a knee followed by a spinning kick that sends the opponent flying. If you perform the input for HM during the 22 string's animation, Shazam will cancel the recovery of the spinning kick with HM, dashing forward and plucking the opponent out of the air and slamming them. You may find this a hard input right now starting out but it's an important one for Shazam and one to practice for sure. I think it's a good example because the difference in Shazam's animation between how far the opponent flies from the kick versus how quickly he cancels to the grab before the fly away.

Perhaps an easy to perform example is this combo: 112 Atlas Torpedo. Put in the inputs quickly one after the other. Shazam will do 112, punching them away, then Torpedo over and hit them coming down.

This also leads to answering your other question about grabbing after torpedo. What you are seeing is a Meter Burn attack (sometimes called EX after the equivalent Street Fighter term where it originated). In this game, to do a Meter Burn attack, you have to press the Meter Burn button (default RT or R2, I think) during the animation of a special move. It varies from move to move. With the lightning throw, you need to press it during the startup, and a bigger bolt will come down from the sky. With the grabs you have to press it while Shazam is lifting them and he will do an extra bounce so you can follow up with more hits. With torpedo, you press it during the animation and Shazam will throw them to the ground instead of just hitting them.

Edit to add: You can typically only cancel out of an attack if it hits or is blocked. You can't cancel by whiffing punches in the air (in most cases). Shazam's 22 Herculean Might string is a good sample of this as well. If the kicks hit, the HM will cancel and grab the opponent. If the opponent blocks the kicks, the HM still comes out and hits if the opponent is standing. If you whiff the kicks in the air, HM will never come out.

I dont know if this has been found or not but. 1 bar mid screen

j.2, f2,2 xx dbf1 MB b3, j3, 112 xx bf 2 - 40% / 55% with hands 1 bar

Really happy with this its fairly easy to do after some practice.

Working finding stuff for after
J.2, f2,2 xx dbf1 MB, b3, j3, db1 MB
if its even possible to get much more out of it i'll see soon i guess. Hope this helps someone!

Maybe I can break it down a bit for you. This is a somewhat simplified breakdown on frame data and cancelling.

Each move has 3 major phases in the animation. Usually these are measured terms of 'frames' of animation. There are 60 frames in a second. Don't get too bogged down in the specific data right now but just know that they are measured in tiny fractions of seconds.

The first is the startup, which is how long it takes (in frames) between you pressing the button and the move actually being able to hit. A good example of long startup is Shazam's Bolt of Zeus special. The time it takes for the lightning to come down from the sky to Shazam's hand and the swinging motion as he throws it is the startup.

The second phase is active frames. These are the frames of the attack animation that actually connect with the opponent. A good example is any characters b+3 attack. You can charge up the startup frames for a while, but when you release and the punch (or whatever) actually comes out, those are the active frames that can hit.

The third phase is the recovery. Recovery is how long it takes after performing an attack before you can perform another action. A good way to see this is with a d+2 attack. After the character does the uppercut move, there's a pause before you can walk sideways again. Those are the recovery frames.

The concept of cancelling is to perform a new input during the recovery frames of a move so that the character ignores the rest of the recovery animation and performs the new move instead. There are restrictions on what moves can cancel out of what (and they vary hugely in other games that support cancelling, like Street Fighter). Typically, you can only cancel normal attacks (regular punch buttons) with special moves. Not all normal attacks can always be cancelled, and not all special moves are always appropriate to cancel into. In some games like Street Fighter you can further cancel from a special move to a super move but I don't think that applies in this (though I haven't tested specifically).

A good sample of performing a cancel is to use Shazam's 22 string and cancel into Herculean Might. The 22 string causes Shazam to do a knee followed by a spinning kick that sends the opponent flying. If you perform the input for HM during the 22 string's animation, Shazam will cancel the recovery of the spinning kick with HM, dashing forward and plucking the opponent out of the air and slamming them. You may find this a hard input right now starting out but it's an important one for Shazam and one to practice for sure. I think it's a good example because the difference in Shazam's animation between how far the opponent flies from the kick versus how quickly he cancels to the grab before the fly away.

Perhaps an easy to perform example is this combo: 112 Atlas Torpedo. Put in the inputs quickly one after the other. Shazam will do 112, punching them away, then Torpedo over and hit them coming down.

This also leads to answering your other question about grabbing after torpedo. What you are seeing is a Meter Burn attack (sometimes called EX after the equivalent Street Fighter term where it originated). In this game, to do a Meter Burn attack, you have to press the Meter Burn button (default RT or R2, I think) during the animation of a special move. It varies from move to move. With the lightning throw, you need to press it during the startup, and a bigger bolt will come down from the sky. With the grabs you have to press it while Shazam is lifting them and he will do an extra bounce so you can follow up with more hits. With torpedo, you press it during the animation and Shazam will throw them to the ground instead of just hitting them.

Edit to add: You can typically only cancel out of an attack if it hits or is blocked. You can't cancel by whiffing punches in the air (in most cases). Shazam's 22 Herculean Might string is a good sample of this as well. If the kicks hit, the HM will cancel and grab the opponent. If the opponent blocks the kicks, the HM still comes out and hits if the opponent is standing. If you whiff the kicks in the air, HM will never come out.
Thanks for the explanation, you cleared a lot of things up for me. Just a question, is there..like a set time to put in a sequence for a particular move to cancel, or for example with the 22 HM string you told me, can I put in the buttons for the HM after pressing 22 to cancel, or do I have to wait for the 22 animation to finish or what? I'm sorry for being such a noob D:

Thanks for the explanation, you cleared a lot of things up for me. Just a question, is there..like a set time to put in a sequence for a particular move to cancel, or for example with the 22 HM string you told me, can I put in the buttons for the HM after pressing 22 to cancel, or do I have to wait for the 22 animation to finish or what? I'm sorry for being such a noob D:
In most cases I've found that if you press your buttons quickly and correctly the special move will cancel out naturally. Like you kind of put your inputs into the buffer and let them come out. As long as you do it correctly without extra buttons it comes out smooth.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
While it puts you farther away, I've been using JiK2, f223, db1 MB, 112 bf2 for 39% 1 meter.

The benefit to this combo is when your trait is active - with trait, this does 49% for 1 meter midscreen, which isn't half bad. I have an easier time doing than than the MB hercules combos into b3.

Yaysian

#putsmokeinmkx
I found some optimal corner transition combos. Most of them do 50+% for 2 meters which is icing on the cake to finish off your opponent once you get them in the corner. Sorry about the horrible phone quality couldn't find my recording equipment. :C

GGA Fill Pops

The Ultimate Bastich
In most cases I've found that if you press your buttons quickly and correctly the special move will cancel out naturally. Like you kind of put your inputs into the buffer and let them come out. As long as you do it correctly without extra buttons it comes out smooth.
So basically put the input in for 22 then HM straight away and it should cancel out?

Edit: Would anyone be kind enough to explain what a deep jump is? One of the combo's listed in this thread requires it and I have no clue what it is, and I can't seem to pull of said combo.

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
I'm finding that these Achilles Clutch combo enders are not worth it in the end.. Some chars are still able to get out of the 50/50 mixup.

is there anything else that's a good follow up to Herculean Might besides b3? I need to find a good combo to follow it up with, but the move seems to scale very highly.

I can't get the timing down for b3, so I'm looking for something else. I'd like to at least get the damage past 20% so that every time I grab them, I can hit them in a combo.

2, 2, Herculean Might is a good start-up but if I end that in 1, 1, Torpedo, it does like 18% damage, which seems like a waste of meter to me.

One I figured out I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread before is J.3 xx achillies clutch(mb) 1,1,2 atlas torpedo. without meter burn on the torpedo it's 37-38% if I recall correctly, and with meter burn on the atlas torpedo it's 41%. Chances are it's already in the list but thought I'd share it anyway.

SZSR

Noob
I'm finding that these Achilles Clutch combo enders are not worth it in the end.. Some chars are still able to get out of the 50/50 mixup.
Like who? The Achilles' clutch combo ender is supposed to only take away their tech roll option, leaving only the 50/50 mixup for them guess out of.

RexyWrecks

RTSD All Day. I'm going in. No Vaseline.
I think hes talking about how wake ups make our command grabs free
Precisely.

Oh, I just go ahead and block those if I smell them coming. Usually get a free combo.
You can't block them all the time. You're making a read. Try that untechable knockdown gimmick on characters like Catwoman, Nightwing, etc. and most of the time you'll get blown up and will have to eat a full combo. I think us Shazam mains need to try and find guaranteed resets and setups that are more reliable.