What's new

Captain Cold's Patch Notes (August)

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
  • Captain Cold - Fixed bug with Upward Cold Blast Gear Ability not aligning properly when done from some 2in1 cancels
  • Captain Cold - Big Freeze MB now ignores projectile immunity
  • Captain Cold - Adjusted hit regions on several normal attacks
  • Captain Cold - Freeze (Medium, Light, Hard) has 4 less recovery on hit/Miss, 7 less recovery on block, and causes 5 less frames of blockstun
  • Captain Cold - Prison Break (Away + Medium, Hard, Medium) has decreased combo damage scaling
  • Captain Cold - Grip Hit (Hard) now has 10 startup frames (from 12), active frames increased to 5 (from 3), 5 less recovery, and has 6 more blockstun frames
  • Captain Cold - Fixed bug that caused Glacier Grenade to have higher input priority then Cryogenic Blast when performed as a cancel
  • Captain Cold - Absolute Zero Supermove and Cryogenic Blast can no longer get destroyed by some Background Interactions
  • Captain Cold - Force Field now activates 5 frames faster and has 5 less recovery frames
  • Captain Cold - The Wall has reduced pushback on block, 9 less blockstun frames, and 9 less recovery on block
  • Captain Cold - The Wall MB startup is now 6 frames (from 14) and recovery increased by 2 frames and now ignores projectile immunity
  • Captain Cold - Reduced the gap between The Wall missing and The Wall MeterBurn active frames to 1 (down from 6)

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
"The Wall has reduced pushback on block, 9 less blockstun frames, and 9 less recovery on block"
Was this seriously necessary?

"Grip Hit (Hard) now has 10 startup frames (from 12), active frames increased to 5 (from 3), 5 less recovery, and has 6 more blockstun frames"
Standing 3 suddenly became one of Captain Cold's best mids on paper, but we weren't really starved for it or another anti-air.

"Force Field now activates 5 frames faster and has 5 less recovery frames"
Move still seems pretty pointless. This is a very minor change/tweak to df3.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why his meterless "The Wall" move was NERFED. Overall I'm pretty underwhelmed about his changes. How his matchups change will purely be based on how shafted the other characters get by this patch.

Last edited:

Hiyomoto

Noob
I don't think df3 is useless. It's a solid move, imo. Now that there's less start up on it, it becomes even easier for people to input after a freeze for a little more damage. In the corner you can get 455 on a bar with it.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
There's a lot they should have done. Quite a bit more, really, but I guess that would have ruined him as a "utility character," right? C'mon, just balance the character. Just make him feasible against more than a handful of the cast.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Wall was one of the better 'keep the fuck away from me' moves I had in a clinch and now it doesn't work as that so maybe our Knight in Shining Armor Standing 3 has taken it's place. :rolleyes:

Seriously, d1~Wall was his like, only footsie tool and they took it away. *rolls eyes*

Last edited:

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
Seriously though wtf did they do to Cold? He was one of the last characters to need a nerf.

If anything they should of just done something like make 12 connect into ground freeze

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
12 ground freeze would have been too good. D1 Ground Freeze would have been too good. Any of the changes other than what we got listed above would have been too good.

Hell, the fix for his MB Wall was way too good, so they had to tone down his meterless one to compensate; as if we really needed a gap in there for the hard earned meter we spent.

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
I dont even play cold, but I think you guys deserve 12 ground freeze and d1 ground freeze as small "mixups" to set up your wacky cold shit
You are a Gentleman and a Scholar. Thank you.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
So I may be an idiot but if blockstun is increased by 9 and recovery on block increased by 9 doesn't that leave both characters at the same advantage still? All it does is speed up the animation? So it's basically a pushback nerf only? Or am I missing something?

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
It's a pushback nerf. Just makes it so the opponent can punish CC more easily for blocking wall.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
@KH_Seraph
Any chance you wanna add the new frame data for the strings to OP?
I know I can find them and do the math but that would be killer. Worst case tell me your too lazy to do it and I'll post it when I get the chance, so you can update it.

On another note for the random Grodd matches, or if he starts getting played more, nice to know he can't walk over puddle anymore :|

Aside from that b232 doing more damage IN COMBOS is cool; faster bubble will lead to stuff... hopefully; and wall "fix"(I'll believe it when i see it) on absorbing projs is great.

We weren't top tier and they got nerfed so overall I'm OK on the patch, not remotely happy... but won't stop me from playing him.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to utilize his standing 3. It's a frame faster than f2, but f2 seems like to better option as it closes distance.

His frost field isn't really used. I think if the hit advantage was a lot less people would use it a little more to make their opponent panic on knock down which which would encourage them to hit a button.

Overall, he definitely could have gotten better tools but we'll see.

Last edited:
Captain Cold finally has a punish! I'm so happy. D1 into freeze now links. This makes people respect him a little more. His best punish used to be d2 which scaled big time. Now we can get a real punish going. 36% mid screen.

I'm not sure how to utilize his standing 3. It's a frame faster than f2, but f2 seems like to better option as it closes distance.

His frost field isn't really used. I think if the hit advantage was a lot less people would use it a little more to make their opponent panic on knock down which which would encourage them to hit a button.

Overall, I'm excited and CC should do a little better than before.
D1 into freeze does not link.

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
Captain Cold finally has a punish! I'm so happy. D1 into freeze now links. This makes people respect him a little more. His best punish used to be d2 which scaled big time. Now we can get a real punish going. 36% mid screen.

Overall, I'm excited and CC should do a little better than before.
IF I GO HOME AND TEST THIS AND IT DOESN"T WORK!!!!

PLEASE DON"T BE TROLLING!