What's new

Captain Cold's Patch Notes (August)

Hiyomoto

Noob
I'm not sure how to utilize his standing 3. It's a frame faster than f2, but f2 seems like to better option as it closes distance.

His frost field isn't really used. I think if the hit advantage was a lot less people would use it a little more to make their opponent panic on knock down which which would encourage them to hit a button.

Overall, he definitely could have gotten better tools but we'll see.
Well end a combo in cold blast in the corner while they're standing into 3 and the pushback is good on block. Even better because it was -15 and now it's -6.

MisguidedAngel

Greetings, Mortal
His bnb's do less damage now as well thanks to the B23 scaling. Rip.

Nerfs when he was already butt. Truly the Phoenix Wright of Injustice.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Doesn't decreased scaling mean more damage?

However I've tested my usual bnb f23 mbbf b3 j3 b23 b232 icycle and it does roughly the same dmg iirc so..weird

MisguidedAngel

Greetings, Mortal
you're right like 408 on Supes. I must have had a wonky setting.

I too thought it meant he'd be doing more damage, but it's the same? I'm so confused.

At least we got a new safe mid out of the deal..

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Was this not explained during the patch stream about the wall? I didn't see it. If not Pako should explain reasoning here as it seems to be glaring.

snort

Noob
Who cares about standing 3, its crap, his d2 is already one of the best AA in the game. These people at NRS think Cold's zoning is OP so they think he's fine and doesn't need anything, it's sad. Ice wall nerf? My goodness. Frost field is still garbage.

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
@colt @16 Bit

What were you guys thinking of Cold? His gameplay was mostly of the defensive, and you just nerfed him to center of the earth tier. Now thanks to this nerf, he's unplayable. :/

His Wall was the ultimate weapon to prevent any incoming grounding attack and zoning. Now, everyone will know his weak point and will low zone. They will most likely pick Green Arrow and Darkseid to low zone him.

We didn't want the S3 as AA, because we already had the D2, which is the best AA. This one kills any incoming diving attack.

We want the reason of nerfing him this much. This fella didn't need the nerfhammer. He needed only the buffhammer. Everyone, and every opponent's main is saying so, so why?

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
Still won some koth matches last night with him, so screw it. Problematic fave. But some matchups, why even bother...

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Played a bunch of matches last night and man, it's still such a chore playing him. He STILL doesn't have any answer whatsoever against zoning. MB wall still gets blasted through and Cold gets punished.

The changes to MB Wall is a bill. DF3 is still a bill. B232's hitbox is still a fucking bill. Everything about this character just screams underdeveloped, worse than Stryker was in MK9 and Dualist Liu in MKX.

It's fucking bad when you're even getting beaten by Swamp Thing now.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Played a bunch of matches last night and man, it's still such a chore playing him. He STILL doesn't have any answer whatsoever against zoning. MB wall still gets blasted through and Cold gets punished.

The changes to MB Wall is a bill. DF3 is still a bill. B232's hitbox is still a fucking bill. Everything about this character just screams undeveloped, worse than Stryker was in MK9 and Dualist Liu in MKX.
Now you know why I'm stopping playing him. I will focus myself on Sub Zero. Reading the notes are enough for me to understand how fucked up he is now. :/

My toughest MUs are definitely against zoners. If they at least start CC off with level one charge, it would be a lot easier. B232 is such a good string but he doesn't have any threatening overheads so people just duck it. Does 12 into big freeze even link? Probably not.

Maybe CC just wasn't designed to beat the better, more popular characters.

You really have to outplay your opponent in order to win. That's how it should be, but other characters require less thinking and that's the part that sucks the most.

My only use for B232 in the neutral is to b23 on whiff so it gets me in range for f23. It has great recovery. Most people hit a button when b23 whiffs so it's a great tool in that sense, but it does take a little bit to get this technique down.

Overall, CC isnt bad. He has very few options, but if you want to have more success, you need to get to level 1-2 as soon as possible. It makes it easier to get in on opponents and contend the zoning. You should never try to out zone a zoner. You're better off using it to get in range for jump in 1. They'll respect you a little more here and from there just implement your game. But patience is key for those kind of MUs.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I would pretty comfortably say that right now Captain Cold is probably the worst character in the game even though his damage output is insanely good. Honestly I don't even consider him part of the game at this point lol. The wall nerf was hilarious. Basically was their way of saying just don't play him.

I would pretty comfortably say that right now Captain Cold is probably the worst character in the game even though his damage output is insanely good. Honestly I don't even consider him part of the game at this point lol. The wall nerf was hilarious. Basically was their way of saying just don't play him.
It's really not that bad lol

I haven't touched the game sicne the update yet. But it should like you guys are bitching over nothing .

One thing i read here that sound bad though is the MB wall still being ineffective.

Does the push back change affect the MB wall as well ?

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I don't play Cold, but from what I'm reading here, I still won't be seeing this really fun to watch character ever played in tourney.

Also, I don't get why they made a point of mentioning that standing 3 is a better anti-air now when Cold already has D+2.

I don't play Cold, but from what I'm reading here, I still won't be seeing this really fun to watch character ever played in tourney.

Also, I don't get why they made a point of mentioning that standing 3 is a better anti-air now when Cold already has D+2.
It has a better hit box for combos in the ice dome .

Before it would easily miss because of the lack of upward hitbox

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Standing 3 is still not that great of a normal despite the changes, and I wish his f23 or 213 normals worked more like Liu Kang's in MKX. He has 6 strings total; if you're going to give a character not even a handful of strings to work with, then make them at least all viable.

Only one of them is an advancing mid.
One of them is a high that goes into an overhead that doesn't connect to anything on hit except bf1.
One of them is ALL FUCKING HIGHS
One of them is only really useable as a combo ender
NO low strings. You need to spend meter to get anything off his low starter.

DF3 is slow as balls and gives nothing but DOT in combos.
bf1 is only solid when you have trait built up.
DF2 has slow startup, easily interruptable, and a smaller/thinner hurtbox than Shang Tsung's up fireballs from MK9.
MB DF2, his big block of ice, gets crushed after being tapped by a single projectile.
DB2 Wall gives none of the pushback it had before. It's not viable as an anti-crossup at all either, and doesn't deflect certain projectiles like WoWo's shield or Black Adam's lightning bolt.
MB DB2 Wall still gets riggity-wrecked by zoning (Deadshot laughs at it still)

He's a utility setplay character without the tools needed to be viable or do anything that resembles setplay unless your opponent is a moron or no way to get around his MB db3 which is far and wide the best move he has in his arsenal.

And this is just a small tip of the iceberg of the problems Captain Cold has that needs to be addressed.

I seriously need to play out of my fucking mind in order to even keep up with the most mediocre players playing more functionally sound and well-rounded characters, and it's exhausting to keep doing that when every match ends down to the wire with a sliver of health left or when you lose due to random input errors or bugs that plague this game in online play.

There's a reason there aren't many Captain Colds out there- It's just not fun to lose all the time using what feels like half a character.

Last edited:

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
It's weird because I agree with you Seraph, but at the same time, there's no one I would rather use against Batman, Robin, or Catwoman. I feel like he does pretty well in some MUs despite all his problems.

But if by "functionally sound and well rounded" you mean Red Hood, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, etc... Yeah. Good luck straight up out playing someone. They better make mistakes and you better play near perfect.