What's new

Question - Fisticuffs Can't figure out combo timing

evm

Noob
I used to play MK 1, 2, 3 back in the day in arcades. I always liked the series but got away from fighting games.
I have been only practicing one Cage string and I can't get it down. The timing/rules are messing me up!
This is the string f2,4, d1, f2,4 np. Like this combo says it's a mid screen combo so what determines the cut off point for mid screen? A lot of times I complete the f2,4 and go for the d1 and it whiffs or the d1 doesn't even throw at all? or I will get the d`1 and the next f2,4 whiffs or doesn't throw at all either. I just keep doing this string over and over and over with no consistency and I can't even tell myself what I am doing wrong.....

Last edited:
dont know johnny but some combos are down to only have a couple of frames to make the move come out might be pressing it to fast or to early that realy i think it. just get f34, d1 consistently and get muscle memory for timing then try next half. sorry if not much help.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I don't recommend you to do this combo as a bnb. The timing is weird and is not very reliable. Use f24, d1, f3 nutpunch instead as your first basic combo, which has similar damage. When you do it 100% times, you can try to add more punches in the middle using the run.

Use the sequence f2,4, d1, f2,4 only to safely activate the fistbump.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
I used to play MK 1, 2, 3 back in the day in arcades. I always liked the series but got away from fighting games.
I have been only practicing one Cage string and I can't get it down. The timing/rules are messing me up!
This is the string f3,4, d1, f3,4 np. Like this combo says it's a mid screen combo so what determines the cut off point for mid screen? A lot of times I complete the f3,4 and go for the d1 and it whiffs or the d1 doesn't even throw at all? or I will get the d`1 and the next f3,4 whiffs or doesn't throw at all either. I just keep doing this string over and over and over with no consistency and I can't even tell myself what I am doing wrong.....
Umm...You can't combo off of f34, i think you mean f24?Anyways instead of doing f24, d1, f24, do: f24, d1, f3 nutpunch.If you find this hard it'll take ALOT of practice to get down a lot of really really hard stuff in this game, but don't worry.

It took me about 4 or 5 months to master instant air fireballs with liu kang and took me one month to get down actual combos like the one you listed.

As a former johnny cage main, his best variation is "A-List" and his worst but easiest is "Fisticuffs".A-List depends on high execution,and fisticuffs is just...Bad.

I wish you good luck in the journey of MK!

That combo has a nasty tendency to whiff at certain ranges, although I have seen @IrishMantis use it in a match. Personally I would go with f24-d1-f3-nut punch. F3-nut punch is a very important part of JC's combos across all 3 variations, so learning this now will pay dividends in the future.

To get a bit of extra damage, practice f24-d1-f3-ex nut punch-1-f3-nut punch.

Oh, and switch to SD or A List. Fisticuffs is meant to be a chip pressure variation, but his other variations have better chip damage and better options overall.

Umm...You can't combo off of f34, i think you mean f24?Anyways instead of doing f24, d1, f24, do: f24, d1, f3 nutpunch.If you find this hard it'll take ALOT of practice to get down a lot of really really hard stuff in this game, but don't worry.

It took me about 4 or 5 months to master instant air fireballs with liu kang and took me one month to get down actual combos like the one you listed.

As a former johnny cage main, his best variation is "A-List" and his worst but easiest is "Fisticuffs".A-List depends on high execution,and fisticuffs is just...Bad.

I wish you good luck in the journey of MK!
Not to derail, but are you using input shortcuts or not on your iafb's? There's a couple of iafb characters that interest me but I've been put off by that particular executional hurdle.

evm

Noob
Thanks for the help guys....
This game makes me scratch my head...there is so much content to digest....

Oh yeah, what does bnb mean/stand for?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Thanks for the help guys....
This game makes me scratch my head...there is so much content to digest....

Oh yeah, what does bnb mean/stand for?
Bread and butter. Basically your go to combos

xxFalcon Loverxx

Not to derail, but are you using input shortcuts or not on your iafb's? There's a couple of iafb characters that interest me but I've been put off by that particular executional hurdle.
In practice, i turn off input shortcuts.I want to master without input shortcuts but imo using input shortcuts is the most consistent way of doing them. Like my inputs in practice are like: f44 bicycle kick MB UBF1 UBF1 UBF1 UBF1 UBF1 f213 bicycle kick throw.But in a real match against a good player i always go with input shortcuts on.

Trust me, i thought it was freaking impossible to do iafbs.It took me weeks to get it down...But the next day i lost my execution, and then finally after months i completely mastered them.It takes ALOT of practice.But once you do it, imo it's worth it.

If you want to try out IAFB and cancels characters, it'll take tons of time.Which i had in my summer vacations.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
That combo has a nasty tendency to whiff at certain ranges, although I have seen @IrishMantis use it in a match. Personally I would go with f24-d1-f3-nut punch. F3-nut punch is a very important part of JC's combos across all 3 variations, so learning this now will pay dividends in the future.

To get a bit of extra damage, practice f24-d1-f3-ex nut punch-1-f3-nut punch.

Oh, and switch to SD or A List. Fisticuffs is meant to be a chip pressure variation, but his other variations have better chip damage and better options overall.
Man I'm on that F24 d1 F24 D1 F3 ex Np 12 F3 NP shit now bruh

38% Restand you feel me :p

You goal should be F24 12 F24 ex np 12 F3 before the one I said
You're on the level 3 BnB, this one here is Level 4 and the big one I do is final level 5 shit yo
That'll give me something to practice between now and the next patch. I was just starting to study match ups, only to find that everything is bloody changing.

Another month of execution and hit confirms it is then!

Edit: does it end f3 or f3-nut?

IrishMantis

That'll give me something to practice between now and the next patch. I was just starting to study match ups, only to find that everything is bloody changing.

Another month of execution and hit confirms it is then!

Edit: does it end f3 or f3-nut?
F3 Np bro... Here is a gif of the most optimal version being done in an Italuan tourney against Jupe awhile back before people say it's not practical :D

ismael4790

You goal should be F24 12 F24 ex np 12 F3 before the one I said
You're on the level 3 BnB, this one here is Level 4 and the big one I do is final level 5 shit yo
I never do that outside of practice mode, because if the nutpunch whiffes, my face after wasting a bar is...quite interesting xD

IrishMantis

Looks easier if you do s1 instead of d1 after the first f24
You would think that but D1 refuces less float further on in the combo

Alist can do it too just drop the last 12 before F3 but there is better combos to be doing with Alist

I would mostly do this if I got no clones

IrishMantis

I never do that outside of practice mode, because if the nutpunch whiffes, my face after wasting a bar is...quite interesting xD
I think to play Fistycuffs you need to know the optimal shit

Btw red mode Fistycuffs dmg is the same his buff just lets him get access to the red mode throw which does 17%

I'm going to be picking Fistycuffs on chars that I need to focus on throws to win

Btw red mode Fistycuffs dmg is the same his buff just lets him get access to the red mode throw which does 17%

I'm going to be picking Fistycuffs on chars that I need to focus on throws to win
Is d4-fist bump safe on hit?

ismael4790

I tend to stick (specially online) to things that work 100/100 times, I don't like to lose cause of a drop, it's the most frustrating thing that can happen.

Yeah, I got lucky in the beta yesterday and saw the red mode does not add damage to the bump :/

Fisticuffs army is gonna grow? Can't believe it xD

xxFalcon Loverxx

You would think that but D1 refuces less float further on in the combo

Alist can do it too just drop the last 12 before F3 but there is better combos to be doing with Alist

I would mostly do this if I got no clones
Doing f24 d1 f24 d1 f3 nutpunch is like *Insert suitable drunk baby meme*

I tend to stick (specially online) to things that work 100/100 times, I don't like to lose cause of a drop, it's the most frustrating that can happen.

Yeah, I got lucky in the beta yesterday and saw the red mode does not add damage to the bump :/

Fisticuffs army is gonna grow? Can't believe it xD
Now Mantis is playing him, FC army has doubled in size