What's new

Can we give some props to Scar?

I say it as: "Everyone was going nuts about how awesome it was the top8 was made of character loyalists, some of them with extremely unused ones, and Sonic, having a repertoire of "personal goto" characters had to go for the widely recognized eazy mode one destroying that magic because his performance with Cassie got boddied and apparently didn't think he could win with his other characteristic ones like Kitana and Erron".

I know counter picking is part of tournaments, I know he had to win those games no matter the characters involved, but for someone with his reputation it felt bad, specially in the context of that awesome top8. I enjoyed the Scar vs. Hayatei match much more than the Grand Finals.
Except Tonya isn't a hard counter to Sonya. It's not remotely close to say picking Aquaman vs Catwoman.

Hard counters are cheesy as fuck, simply switching characters shildnt be an issue.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Sure, we can, as long as we don't forget that it wasn't the character pick that he lost to.
I could pick a character that way, he'd beat me, so gosh golly, it mustta been maybe Sonic Fox and not his pick that won the tournament maybe riiiiigh' ?
It's hard to discern your point through that massively thick layer of what could be sarcasm, bitterness, annoyance... or not.

OT: It's my favourite kind of player, who picks "hipster characters" and take them to tournaments, kicking much ass in the process. So all kind of props to him!

People are already crying about how Demo needs nerfs, especially on those corner combos/setups, so op success, I guess? :p

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Sonya isn't low tier or S tier. She's A tier.

Scar's Sonya is amazing to watch, but his performances don't affect her tier.

Those saying otherwise are either posturing, or they don't know enough to be accounted for.

Hiyomoto

Noob
His grenade placement was too on point. Had Sonicfox scared of pressing a button on that nade. Can we talk about the damn EX reload set ups? :DOGE

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
It's hard to discern your point through that massively thick layer of what could be sarcasm, bitterness, annoyance... or not.

OT: It's my favourite kind of player, who picks "hipster characters" and take them to tournaments, kicking much ass in the process. So all kind of props to him!

People are already crying about how Demo needs nerfs, especially on those corner combos/setups, so op success, I guess? :p
I simply mean that Scar deserves props as much as everybody else who did well in the tournament.
There are a vocal minority who seem to think that Sonic Fox only won because of his character pick and his skill had nothing to do with it.
It's about as dumb as saying that Scar only won because of Sonya. No, the character itself is not enough.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I simply mean that Scar deserves props as much as everybody else who did well in the tournament.
There are a vocal minority who seem to think that Sonic Fox only won because of his character pick and his skill had nothing to do with it.
It's about as dumb as saying that Scar only won because of Sonya. No, the character itself is not enough.
I agree, but Scar is getting props not only because of his tournament success right now.
Also oversimplifying the point of those people who claim that "Sonic won because of character pick" doesn't help either. People don't think that Sonic is a bad player that got carried by character. People do think that character pick was contributing a hell lot to his victory. That's not the same as playing down an impact of his skill.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I agree, but Scar is getting props not only because of his tournament success right now.
Also oversimplifying the point of those people who claim that "Sonic won because of character pick" doesn't help either. People don't think that Sonic is a bad player that got carried by character. People do think that character pick was contributing a hell lot to his victory. That's not the same as playing down an impact of his skill.
That's the same as saying Scar only won because of grenade setups. How can you not see this?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
That's the same as saying Scar only won because of grenade setups. How can you not see this?
How can you not see that I omit word "only" every chance I get, and this is, in fact, the entire point of what I'm saying?

Random Tanya player can't do what Sonic did with her, but Sonic wasn't that successful without her either in that set.

Can we turn around that on Scar and Demo? Sure we can, like I said, people are already crying foul. Time will tell if that has any basis. Nevertheless, it was valiant effort on Scar's part to dedicate his time to what was perceived as meh variation of an okay character, develop it and show us what she can do. This is in very stark contrast to overrepresented character that basically didn't evolve since day one and still has potential to take majors in hands of good player. If you are saying that Scar's success sends signals about Demo, then Sonic's victory floods all frequencies. Not because it happened, and not because of just Tanya - but because of HOW that happened.

Last edited:

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Scar stole the show at KIT imo... I dont even remember who won.. He won in my book...