What's new

Can we finally agree this game's ranked system needs 2/3?

3 our of 5 is a larger sample size. Hence, from a purely statistical perspective, 3 out of 5 is a better estimate for who the better player is.
As is 4/7, and if we're already deviating from tournament standard (not 3/5 til top-whatever) may as well make it count. 2/3 is fine.

If I had say in this I'd make ranked matches first to ten, but mostly because I'm learning the game and certain things like flawless blocking and optimal punishes, I can only engrave into my shitty 38 year old brain by fucking them up over and over again and hitting myself with the mental whip afterwards.

Even 3/5 puts so much pressure on me that I stop caring about improving and start thinking about just winning, thus I just fall into old habits that suck, but worked against bad players, and both win or loss were a complete waste of time.

I guess that's why I have like 2000 casual matches and 50 ranked or something.

‘We agree’ implies other people feel the same (and I don’t think they do).

3/5 is the standard, though. I’d rather play a 3-win set than a 2-win set for sure.
you didn't say that shit in the other, "can we agree" thread. I'm not trying to force their agreement. just that would 2/3 would be better. if not that there needs to be changes to how ranked works; or will they just circumvent it with kombat league?

you didn't say that shit in the other, "can we agree" thread. I'm not trying to force their agreement. just that would 2/3 would be better. if not that there needs to be changes to how ranked works; or will they just circumvent it with kombat league?
"We agree" and "can we agree" are two completely different statements anyway. It's odd he'd take yours out of context just to be able to make that snide comment.

I've come back from plenty of 0-2's but I just don't care. 3/5 takes mad long and 2/3 works just fine for other games. games that don't just do endless battle.

Ft3 is perfect. I have reverse OCV’d SO many times in ranked. Seriously, I win being down 0-2 very consistently. It takes me 2 games to adapt to the lag and to my opponent.

Although, it definitely should reflect the pro series rules. Since tournaments until top 8 are ft2, ranked should be as well, imo.
OCV'd? what is this? KOF? a game I love who's ranked died the moment it was released.

I've come back from plenty of 0-2's but I just don't care. 3/5 takes mad long and 2/3 works just fine for other games. games that don't just do endless battle.
Agreed. It's arbitrary. We've all come back after going 0-1, 0-2, 0-3 (in longer sets), etc. I don't see that ranked/tournaments need to cater to your individual ability to adapt at whatever rate. There's something to be said for being able to perform in what is tournament standard and there's a reason the best players also place consistently despite dealing with the exact same handicap 2/3 supposedly enforces.

The real solution is to block all the idiots on their neighbors wifi trying to play fighting games.

Wayyy too many bad connections seeping thru the cracks.
yeah but playstation doesn't have the block them online block them from matchmaking feature like xbox does

xKMMx

Banned
I'd rather keep it at 3/5. I can't tell you how many times I've gone down 2-0 and figured out what my opponent was doing and turned it around.

Having said that, tons of scumbags just disconnect once I tie it up 2-2.

Online ranked sucks for a number of reasons.
DO you end up getting the WIn in that case? I had two people quit after I beat them in the first match last night but wasn't sure if that gives the one that stays the win.

Ayx

Omnipresent
"Mad long"? It's just two more games. 2 out of 3 already proved at combo breaker that someone can pull out a gimmick that can throw someone off and that's it -> losers bracket.

Ranked match due to lag is a whole other beast and we all definitely need that extra 2 games at most to get a feel for it. For example when playing a Liu Kang, is the lag so difficult to time the perfect block punish on his kick combo? If so, learn to adapt a new plan and be willing to eat a loss as you learn from it. On a 2 out of 3, that lag can throw you off big time. If you really hate waiting long for games, there's a social mode that allows Kompetitive only options. Feel free to play that if you want to hyper-inflate your games played while keeping the kompetitive variations.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
As is 4/7, and if we're already deviating from tournament standard (not 3/5 til top-whatever) may as well make it count. 2/3 is fine.
Of course, but it's a balance between having the matches take an impractical amount of time and still getting a good assessment of who the better player is.

I personally think 3/5 is "fine."

Immortal

Blind justice....
3/5 is the only way to go and like you can see here, almost everybody agree on it. So yeah we can agree.... on 3/5. (Almost) nobody want to go back to the dark days of 2/3.

"Mad long"? It's just two more games. 2 out of 3 already proved at combo breaker that someone can pull out a gimmick that can throw someone off and that's it -> losers bracket.

Ranked match due to lag is a whole other beast and we all definitely need that extra 2 games at most to get a feel for it. For example when playing a Liu Kang, is the lag so difficult to time the perfect block punish on his kick combo? If so, learn to adapt a new plan and be willing to eat a loss as you learn from it. On a 2 out of 3, that lag can throw you off big time. If you really hate waiting long for games, there's a social mode that allows Kompetitive only options. Feel free to play that if you want to hyper-inflate your games played while keeping the kompetitive variations.
other games do just fine with 2/3 though. the only thing that would throw you off is if the ping is like 100+ which anything above that should be allowed to decline but that's why I'm willing to take some rank match system adjustments

Jbog

Noob
I like 3/5 but with nrs games having notoriously counter picking i wish at 2 to 2 both players could change characters