What's new

Question - Erron Black Can Someone Help Me Learn To Punish Better?

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Do you go against kung lao because that is who you play as and you want to see what you can do to gaps and then play as the person you are trying to find gaps on?

OK SO, If I'm Erron Black and I have a F132 string, so find the startup I find F1 in basic and it's start up is let's say 10. That is the start up of F132? So for the actual F132 string let's say the start up is 13, but does that relate to? For Hit advantage I just look at the string I don't have to worry about F1, or 2 or 3, just the whole string the only thing that I'm looking at F1 for is start up?

(Also I'm assuming this only relates to strings and not specials since they are 2 or more directional and then a button press which there are no start ups up directions because they are all probably close to 1 frame?)

Sorry it's taking me so long to understand and I'll check out those videos after work.
I go against kung lao because his spin is the fastest reversal in the game, and the ex spin adds armor so it ensures the gap is punished. Specials have startups/frame data too, frame data has nothing to do with your inputs.

Don't want to seem dismissive or anything, but you really should just watch a video, it will be so much easier for you to understand, and they will do a much better job of explaining it than I ever could.

Taxman

Noob
I go against kung lao because his spin is the fastest reversal in the game, and the ex spin adds armor so it ensures the gap is punished. Specials have startups/frame data too, frame data has nothing to do with your inputs.

Don't want to seem dismissive or anything, but you really should just watch a video, it will be so much easier for you to understand, and they will do a much better job of explaining it than I ever could.
Ok, thanks for your help.

Do you recommend the SF fundamentals series as another poster mentioned?

wsj515

Ok, thanks for your help.

Do you recommend the SF fundamentals series as another poster mentioned?
I'm sure that will more than be good, I can't recall if I've seen it. I would recommend finding a video that used either mk9 or injustice as they play a lot more like mkx, it will probably just make things more translatable for you, and I doubt there's anything out yet that uses mkx.

Taxman

Noob
Telltale signs are typically after you've played for a while, but eventually you can feel the weight of a string on your block. Some are still deceptive, mind.
Okay let's stick to the 123 example. Let's say it's a jab, axe kick, backflip kick.

1 (sM, ST) i8, r15, h20, -20b. -> This means 1 is a standing mid stagger, takes 8 frames for the fist to hit you, 15 for the arm to be retracted and be able to perform any other move to follow, gives you a 20 frame advantage on hit (the enemy will recoil for 20 frames), and is -20 on block so very unsafe.
2 (sOH) i15, r4, h40, 0b, -> This means 2 is an overhead so can only be blocked standing. Takes 15 frames for the axe kick to come down at the opponent, 4 frames for the foot to be back on the ground so that you can perform the next move, the enemy recoils for a whoppin' 40 frames if hit by it, and is 0 on block so safe to end the string with.
3 (sL, LA) i2, r30, h60, -30b -> Standing Low, LAunches, you get the rest of the picture.
Now you can check if that string cancels after 1.

Let's say we also have an armoured special to go with it, that's a headbutt which leads into a hard knockdown. Basically, the guy gets headbutted and faceplants. This hits overhead. Let's call it HB for Headbutt.
HB (SPEC, OH [~ex A]) i3, r70, h80, -8b.

And you are playing the same character whose d1 is i6, r8, h12, 0b.

Let's do work. Attacker performs 1,23
You can d1 where?
After 1, but not after 2 because not only are you blocking standing but the guy is even though neutral on block, is about to hit you with an i2 low launcher or an i3 overhead. You have to guess whether you'll block low or high, or you can risk armouring out after the 3 because if he doesn't realise that landing the 3 on a block is unsafe, the risk-reward is tipped against him.
Hope this sheds some light.

You should really go to youtube and watch the street fighter tutorial videos on fighting game fundamentals though.
So basically I can punish inbetween 1 and 2 because after I block 1 he is in -20 but I cant punish after 2 because he is neutral on 0b and can just block me back

Taxman

Noob
I'm sure that will more than be good, I can't recall if I've seen it. I would recommend finding a video that used either mk9 or injustice as they play a lot more like mkx, it will probably just make things more translatable for you, and I doubt there's anything out yet that uses mkx.
Ok thanks, Ill youtube some injustice fundamentals vids, I appreciate your time.

D3 tackle is just D3 sand trap right?
i think he means sand toss, but incorrectly called it sand trap which is the tackle move. I could be wrong though

Edit: youre right, i meant with the first two options should be sand toss, but the tackle move is called sand trap.

wsj515

i think he means sand toss, but incorrectly called it sand trap which is the tackle move. I could be wrong though

Edit: youre right, i meant with the first two options should be sand toss, but the tackle move is called sand trap.
d3 doesn't combo with sand toss, so you have to cancel with sand trap (this isn't a true combo, its a tick throw, they can poke/njp/backdash/armor out). 11b3 doesn't combo with sand trap, so you would use sand toss. 21122 you use sand toss. I think you can use sand tackle as well, but it must be canceled after the final hit of 21122.

d3 doesn't combo with sand toss, so you have to cancel with sand trap (this isn't a true combo, its a tick throw, they can poke/njp/backdash/armor out). 11b3 doesn't combo with sand trap, so you would use sand toss. 21122 you use sand toss. I think you can use sand tackle as well, but it must be canceled after the final hit of 21122.
Yeah, thats what i meant. He incorrectly called sand toss sand trap and thats where the confusion began lol

Taxman

Noob
finding it harder and ahrder to stay interested in this game, with the damn lag delay on line, not being able to do combos, normals not even coming out right because there is too m,uch of a delay, opponent getting their moves out before mine even though they should be in recovery because of lag, its too much

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Still cant figure out how to go about punishing Goros rush punch. That shits annoying