What's new

Buffalo Mentioned in The Verge’s Player Conduct Article

can't be that interesting since competitive fighting games was founded on shit talk, blowups, and pop offs. nothing unruly or toxic about buffalo either. just outside lookers judging fighting games again without being a part of fighting games

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
People just need to get penalised for being toxic and problem solved tbh. No need to write a novel.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Buffalo’s popoff was based on something Scar started. Scar initiated the disrespect unprovoked. Buffalo didn’t touch him or say anything bad, really. Yeah he was close to him and yelling, but again, there was history there. It’s not like people are blowing up on completely random players, that would be stupid.

It’s interesting we’re choosing to focus on something so trivial, when the real issue is certain FGC members molesting and/or sexually assaulting women at events/after parties. That seems a little more important than a competitive popoff at a major tournament.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Buffalo’s popoff was based on something Scar started. Scar initiated the disrespect unprovoked. Buffalo didn’t touch him or say anything bad, really. Yeah he was close to him and yelling, but again, there was history there. It’s not like people are blowing up on completely random players, that would be stupid.

It’s interesting we’re choosing to focus on something so trivial, when the real issue is certain FGC members molesting and/or sexually assaulting women at events/after parties. That seems a little more important than a competitive popoff at a major tournament.
I think he was specifically mentioned because he was the latest and most intense example, not because of the actual context of him getting in Scar's face.

We really need better security and clear rules so that anyone who misbehaves can get properly dealt with.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I think he was specifically mentioned because he was the latest and most intense example, not because of the actual context of him getting in Scar's face.

We really need better security and clear rules so that anyone who misbehaves can get properly dealt with.
Yeah true, but still the popoff was just a popoff. Buffalo was yelling “ft2 boyz!” ffs, lol.

“Misbehaves” is too vague. There’s has to be clear, unambiguous rules. Like, don’t touch anyone who doesn’t want to be touched and/or doesn’t/can’t give consent. Don’t drug people without their knowledge. Don’t sleep next to someone who didn’t consent to you sleeping next to them. The ridiculousness is at an all time high right now. How ridiculous is it that rules like this seem to need to be required? All these scumbags should be banned from events forever, with zero appeal.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
There's not much context around it in the article. It was kind of dramatic, and it was a talking point, but he's a kid. It's been discussed to death, and he has received way more calculated flak and insulting over it than the heat of the moment, he probably didn't know he was going to do that sort of situation it was really deserves.

I was kind of hoping he could just put this one in the rear view an move on. This just kind of reraises the issue without the context to understand where it came from.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's not much context around it in the article. It was kind of dramatic, and it was a talking point, but he's a kid. It's been discussed to death, and he has received way more calculated flak and insulting over it than the heat of the moment, he probably didn't know he was going to do that sort of situation it was really deserves.

I was kind of hoping he could just put this one in the rear view an move on. This just kind of reraises the issue without the context to understand where it came from.
With how the FGC works, he should embrace it. When there’s a chance to squeeze out any type of clout, it’s usually in your best interest to do so. If you want to be monetarily successful in the FGC, there’s a lot of factors that go into that. Notoriety is actually a way to accomplish gaining followers/building your brand. I could make a long post about it but no one cares what I have to say about it and it’s pretty off topic.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

This. It’s like they’re trying to ignore the bigger issues. It’s not like here was a fist fight they just talked shit.

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
Imagine thinking $50k is or has ever been “pocket change”. Must have a nice privileged life to be able to say something like that.
Or a life of working hard. There's that too...

But in context, these games are pocket change compared to $3 million of popular esports games. And they get all rowdy over it acting a fool XD

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Or a life of working hard. There's that too...

But in context, these games are pocket change compared to $3 million of popular esports games. And they get all rowdy over it acting a fool XD
Sorry if I come across as rude, but this is one of the most insane things I’ve ever read on this forum. Even if the tournament was for $100 or absolutely nothing, competitive players are still going to have adrenaline and get fired up... especially if there’s a backstory to the set like there was to that one. To say just because there are other games with million dollar paydays that MK players are basically not allowed to show emotion since the “payoff isn’t as big”, that’s just ignorant.

I’ve had a guy take a swing at me for beating him in a game of one on one basketball. It’s called being human and having emotion. Somebody’s gotta win and somebody’s gotta lose, people get pissed off sometimes.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
I thought we were FIGHTERS, ya know people with thick skin and unshakeable will. Leave this conduct shit in the FPS/MOBA scenes where it belongs. We are warriors.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Lol at the writer of this article. Apparently, players who pop-off are "salty", what Buffalo did was "fisticeffs" and as "toxic" as the smash underage relatonsjip. There are "toxic" things to talk about in the fgc, but the Buffalo rightly founded pop-off on Scar is definitely not one.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
This shit was part of fgc, before meteor hit the dinosaurs. People even knock each others out, during the arcade days. Don't talk one to another for months. Locally, there is always shit talk, MM's for the same reason...
For the same reason people teabag, one another. It is, what is.

Sazbak

Noob
The players should behave like actual human beings instead of wild animals.
I look down on people who try to glorify thuggishness as cool because e.g. "it is part of the fgc".
Even if it wasn't a known fact that the top players are around the age of 16-23 you can see it in their actions at times like these.
No offense to the people who can behave but this age group contains many immature brats. Now add their possibly inflated ego to the equation because they know they are good at something and these childish beefs are no surprise.

As for the Buffalo case he was out of line even if Scar doubted his skills in a tweet. Stop giving a fuck about other people's ambiguous opinion based on a short tweet. Also stop having a fragile ego.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
The players should behave like actual human beings instead of wild animals.
I look down on people who try to glorify thuggishness as cool because e.g. "it is part of the fgc".
Even if it wasn't a known fact that the top players are around the age of 16-23 you can see it in their actions at times like these.
No offense to the people who can behave but this age group contains many immature brats. Now add their possibly inflated ego to the equation because they know they are good at something and these childish beefs are no surprise.

As for the Buffalo case he was out of line even if Scar doubted his skills in a tweet. Stop giving a fuck about other people's ambiguous opinion based on a short tweet. Also stop having a fragile ego.
Stop being a pussy :DOGE