What's new

Bring back unique "Amplify" inputs (for tournament mode)

Do you want the option for unique inputs?

• Total voters

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Bring back...?

You never had them.

NRS games have always had a single-button amplify/meterburn, and so does this one.

If you hadn’t heard about this from a pre-release build, you would’ve never known they were considering a new method, and you would’ve jist happily amplified your moves without a second thought.

So... Did you complain about this with all of the other games?

Ceroder

Noob
This is the dumbest argument I have ever seen.
Amplifying with unique input is dumb. Only those that think fighting games is all about execution would enjoy it.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I want to be able to learn my main as quickly as possible so I can enjoy him as quickly as possible. I don't see how making it harder to learn is better for enjoyment. The game should have more depth to be more enjoyable, not more to memorize. At the end of the day, when you learn to do perfect NDC's (MK9 Kabal), the game becomes as boring as doing shoulder charges (MK9 Kenshi), despite the execution barrier.

KRYS9984

Noob
I agreed with everything up to this part. All though I respect your opinion I have to disagree here:
I feel meter not being connected to certain styles of gameplay like MK11 is an overall good thing which could promote better neutral instead of players locked in rushdown mode or spamming projectiles to build meter like MKX which in turn favors characters that excelled in these areas which creates a certain level of gap in the rosters overal balance.

The meter not rewarding spamming or constant pressure should promote back and forth. Forcing players to make good reads and use good footsies maybe even make other styles of play more relevant.

I feel like we should give this new mechanic a chance for at least a few months before asking for change. Let's see what results we get in tournament play.
I agree 100% with trying out the game as is and making changes (if necessary) down the road. We are currently spectators and it's difficult to assess how things will play out unless we get our hands on the game and start diving into the mechanics and developing first level metas.

Regarding regenerating meter, I still think it's a bad choice.

You mentioned that regenerating meter could promote better neutral and less locked rushdown / zoning but on the contrary, I see this as an archetype killer that will make things rather bland. You should be rewarded with meter for excelling in your ability to keep someone out or keep yourself in; the balance comes from the developers not creating post-patch MK9 Kabal / Kenshi's or pre-patch MKX Tempest / Hellfire for example.

So far, there have been numerous characters described as excelling in the mid-range game; that's fine because that's the range where neutral and footsies is commonly played but there needs to be incentives. Manually building meter gives players a desire to do something (for that advantage); whether it's throw out projectiles or make their way in to put the opponent in block pressure, tying meter to actions gets reactions and that's what makes for interesting play / match-ups.

Imagine a Battle Royale shooter where bullets and armor regenerate on a timer; if it's a final 1 vs 1 situation and both players are depleted, do you think that they will go out and try to melee one another to death or just camp out for a while until they're fully stocked?

Another questionable decision is the regenerating Fatal Blow; once again, it promotes carelessness and is a crutch for players who are unable to hit it on a perfect read. These are elements you would possibly see in a mobile game since mechanics are limited (due to the platform) but their fully developed console counterpart shouldn't have these crucial elements working on a timer (once again in my opinion).

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Unlike other people in this thread acting like troglodytes, I'll give you a civil response.

When I first saw the new system I was skeptical because sometimes my execution is shitty to begin with especially being an online warrior and adding extra inputs kind of worried me.

But I came to terms that I needed to level up my play and bring my MK game up to snuff with my Inustice play. I was beginning to get excited for the change.

I thing it would be cool to give people the option to play with the new input or stay with the old way kind of like how KI has the assisted system

Good thread.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm all for letting people who think this is a good idea try it out and then watch them run back to the universal input because it's annoying when trying to learning new characters. NRS should give us the choice, and they might so let's wait and see.

KRYS9984

Noob
For me it was more along the lines of when you used canel pressure on the defender you gain meter even when they successfully blocked the mix-ups and made good reads, the defender wasn't rewarded but the agressor was by gaining meter from offense. Defense got nothing but chip damage.
Seems a little one sided to me, but that was MKX.
This was amplified in MKX due to the run button in conjunction with very long range normal attacks.

Characters could run to cover ground and cancel the run with their long range normals and put you in block pressure quite easily; take away the run button (which helped bypass neutral) and all of a sudden we're looking at a different game.

Last edited:
As I stated in the podcast thread, I would support an "accessible mode" with one button special moves, combos, and fatalities for casual gamers while "competitive / tournament mode" would necessitate traditional, or more complex, inputs for high level players.

Also, while I appreciate this thread, the poll will be unable to generate accurate data because of the recent emigration of casual gamers to TYM. If you make the same poll half a year after Mortal Kombat 11's release when the casual gamers move on to play another game, you will acquire data from a more informed audience.
Stop talking like you speak for high level players. The fact you think this simple extra input adds any type of depth or complexity tells me you're not one.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
So... Did you complain about this with all of the other games?
No because they never introduced the idea before, dont play dumb. They showed something to us and they put it in the game so people could provide feedback, some people also played with them remember. Some like myself were really looking forward to it because it would making playing feel more dynamic on stick.

I get some people dont want to use them themselves, but how could you possibly be against other people using the unique inputs if they want to?

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Lol no the special cancels will be braindead and so will be the amplify, thank god.

Nobody cares about hard execution any more, it's only for has-beens that haven't evolved and can't take it that kids will destroy them at the game because they are useless.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
No because they never introduced the idea before, dont play dumb. They showed something to us and they put it in the game so people could provide feedback, some people also played with them remember. Some like myself were really looking forward to it because it would making playing feel more dynamic on stick.

I get some people dont want to use them themselves, but how could you possibly be against other people using the unique inputs if they want to?
And didn’t it turn out that the people who used them didn’t really like the change?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
And didn’t it turn out that the people who used them didn’t really like the change?
And some people did and still want them. So make it an option. They already did the work, why remove it entirely just because you wont use it? They have toggle options for everything now and this should be one of them.

Espio

Kokomo
Why does everyone have to be so antagonistic with their reactions and behavior? The poll choices themselves are antagonistic so while I don't support people coming in here out of pocket. The topic itself in this thread was presented out of pocket as well.

I hope they bring it back, I wanna see the polling data two years in of how many people use it versus people who don't.

Bring back...?

You never had them.

NRS games have always had a single-button amplify/meterburn, and so does this one.
I wanted to say exactly the same. I find it hilarious that the self-proclaimed high level players are bashing the scrubs, noobs, rookies and fools for crying out loud against the new 'Amplify' system without trying it first. Yet the same high level players want it back without trying it first.

As I stated in the podcast thread, I would support an "accessible mode" with one button special moves, combos, and fatalities for casual gamers while "competitive / tournament mode" would necessitate traditional, or more complex, inputs for high level players.

Also, while I appreciate this thread, the poll will be unable to generate accurate data because of the recent emigration of casual gamers to TYM. If you make the same poll half a year after Mortal Kombat 11's release when the casual gamers move on to play another game, you will acquire data from a more informed audience.
And I would support free choice so if you happen to have a preference for the new amplifying method and Forever King wants to kounterpick with using single button amplifiers then deal with it! I didn't like the new system first but I was willing to put in the effort and learn it. But I can absolutely understand anyone who doesn't want to be forced into it. So let's make that happen, include a beginner/advanced option but if you want to go for the high execusion and get beaten by someone who uses the 1 button route that's on you.

The second part of your comment is the exact FGC elitism I'm sick of. I was the worst kind of noob during the MK9 era, I thought I was good when I really wasn't. I started to realize how wrong I was during the IGAU days because I had to learn a completely different game but I wanted to be good without effort. I only scratched the surface but in the end I had a much better understanding of that game and what I should do to get reasonably good. MKX was a big step forward to me in every aspect, I understood a bunch of things, learned how to lab, how to approach matchups, how to pick my kombos. I was a half-decent player and it was carried over for Injustice 2.

I'm still not high level but I care about these games, I follow these games and I support these games and I am willing to learn each title better than the previous one. Maybe you could 10-0 me on any day in any NRS title but it is still not for you to decide how well informed audience we are. Just because someone has followed TYM in a 'read only' mode for years doesn't mean that his piece of mind worth less than yours. Again, I support those who want the unique amplify inputs as an option but any of those who doesn't want it should be able to play online/competitively just as the others, without necessities.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

Yeah... That may be the case. What I don't understand is the argument that the added inputs added nothing to the game. I mean, why not just give everyone the same attack string inputs too? Every character having different inputs for their combos is just such a superficial way to increase complexity!

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
questionable decision is the regenerating Fatal Blow; once again, it promotes carelessness and is a crutch for players who are unable to hit it on a perfect read.
I agree with you here. Glad we found common ground in more things than one.
I'm still on the side I think the Regen meter will be fine but I'd like to see first. If it ends up effecting competitive play then I'd like to revisit it and try your idea. Until then I'd like to let it roll and see what comes of it.

I'm also accepting of unique input for amp bring an option as long as the single input is still available as a menu button map option.

Armac

Noob
I don't understand the third poll option. They did give people the chance to try it. That's how they received the negative feedback that resulted in it being dropped.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Stop talking like you speak for high level players. The fact you think this simple extra input adds any type of depth or complexity tells me you're not one.
I am not claiming to be speaking for anyone or any group of players. I am also not claiming to be a high level player. The fact that you lack the capability to understand how more difficult inputs add originality and variety to a fighting game certainly makes you a scrub.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I liked the idea, I might use it if it were an option but no point of forcing it on tournament players