What's new

Breaker system in MK10

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I want two meters

the normal MK one... that is used for breakers and EX moves

I want another one that builds up based on damage taken for supers. The damage delt by the super is based on how much you have stored. IE... you can use the super at any point after you take damage... but it scales based on the percentage you have. Example: the "super" does 45% damage when the super meter is full. If you activate it when the meter is only 10% full then you only deal out 4.5% damage.

That to me would give a balance to a comeback factor, hype ish type move as well as still having to manage meter between doing a breaker and extending combo's further with EX juggles.
So you want the SF4 model? Nothing wrong with that as it is a good tried and true model, but what about trying to keep MK's system different from the others?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I like how the examples of "x special builds too much meter" in this thread... are actually relatively low on the meter building scale. MK9 doesn't revolve around Sub-Zero's bad matchups.

The problem IMO is how much chip damage (and therefore meter) is distributed to strings that are guaranteed to jail. By the time you can reasonably be expected to make a read up close, most of the time your opposition doesn't even have to care.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
So you want the SF4 model? Nothing wrong with that as it is a good tried and true model, but what about trying to keep MK's system different from the others?
sort of... but I don't think you shoudl get a full super in both rounds.
Super should build based on 2 rounds..... i would expect a full life bar to build roughly 60-65% of the super meter.

I think it is almost a tad overkill to have to manage 3 things, when the 3rd thing isn't really a "comeback factor"

MK9 when played at the highest level was simply a meter management of EX moves and breaker.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
Meter system in mk9 was great. Just less easy 50% combos. More tight frame moves for the bigger damage. Though i would like to see 4bar system w pushblock.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
What if the second net just dropped them on the ground instead of standing them up in front of Cyrax?
Never exactly thought about it like that, but it still doesn't fix silly things like breaking the combo and getting hit by the bomb does it?

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I like the MK9 system, but I think they should have universal unbreakable moves like in IGAU (b3/f3) or at least make sure every character has some decent unbreakable dammy.

In MK9 characters like Cyrax or Kitana could do 40-50% unbreakable while others had almost no options, I think they should work on balance in that area (among others).

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
What kind of breaker do you want for MK10?

Same as MK9? Clash like in Injustice? Or something similar to Killer Instinct with Counter Breaker?
Mk9 meter management for breakers vs enhanced moves was dam good imo some of the best matches were meter management and thinking should I break this or eat it in mk9. Leave it alone maybe make it a bit different but not like injustice.

Flagg

Noob
The breaker and meter in MK 9 was perfect.

Just change the mechanic of how meter is built in MK 10 so people that spam forward knee, anything Kenshi does and Kabal can't scrub out brainless wins.

Decay

King of the Bill
Make it cost more meter, so you have to really chose whether you get to do an X-ray or you should break the combo.

Aris loved the meter system on how it worked, and felt it had one of the most honest meter systems compared to any fighting game out there. I think they should tinker with how quickly certain characters build meter, but other than that, I'm fine with the breaker system.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
If breakers are on the same meter as EX that is fine but they shouldn't be on the same meter as super IMO. Just make super a slower build seperate meter and adjust meter build here and there on the normal meter.

Having defense vs offense as a thing to consider on a single bar isn't bad, but you need to balance that decision evenly by character. I think some meter gain and such should be looked at on certain stuff, but overall I think so long as EX/Breakers aren't making it so you only see X-rays once in a blue moon it'd be good. God knows how shit it was folks never got to use Supers in TVC for similar meter sharing issues.

If breakers are on the same meter as EX that is fine but they shouldn't be on the same meter as super IMO. Just make super a slower build seperate meter and adjust meter build here and there on the normal meter.

Having defense vs offense as a thing to consider on a single bar isn't bad, but you need to balance that decision evenly by character. I think some meter gain and such should be looked at on certain stuff, but overall I think so long as EX/Breakers aren't making it so you only see X-rays once in a blue moon it'd be good. God knows how shit it was folks never got to use Supers in TVC for similar meter sharing issues.
Seriously, having X-Rays on the same bar as breakers is going to be pointless, unless they make X-Rays OP by having unscaled damage or something like that. But as of now, breakers are more useful than X-Rays and cost less lol.

Glass Sword

Nobody
I have a problem with there being a separate bar for super like people suggest. MK9 was hype because the life lead meant A LOT. MK9 was the anti comeback game in a day when Marvel was the hot topic and it was fashionable to integrate easy mode comeback factors.
If another bar is put in for super that only fills from taking damage it means you are giving your opponent the tools to beat you by winning. How dare you take your opponents life! I think the meter one gets from taking damage should be low in fighting games. Sure that makes it hard to to come back, but that is what makes it exciting to watch.
I think they should keep breaker the same and just have a "cool down" for it where you can't break for a set amount of time after you break the first time. Something like that would be good.
Also for supers what they need to do with them, instead of giving them a separate bar, is have them give a certain amount of guaranteed damage in combos. Something like 10-15% or so. That way it would make more sense to use the X-ray. In MK9 they scaled horribly and unless you were going for unbreakable damage there was little reason to use one. With better scaling the choice would between blowing all your resources on one giant combo that does 60+% or saving it for something else. That can be your comeback factor...the original comeback factor.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Seriously, having X-Rays on the same bar as breakers is going to be pointless, unless they make X-Rays OP by having unscaled damage or something like that. But as of now, breakers are more useful than X-Rays and cost less lol.
You pretty well just proved my point. As of now breakers make x-rays irrelevant. No move should feel that way when its supposed to be your biggest offensive attack. Keep breakers/ex on the same bar because the choice of defensive vs offensive use of meter is good, but give the X-rays a different bar so they have a point.

Noob
I have a problem with there being a separate bar for super like people suggest. MK9 was hype because the life lead meant A LOT. MK9 was the anti comeback game in a day when Marvel was the hot topic and it was fashionable to integrate easy mode comeback factors.
If another bar is put in for super that only fills from taking damage it means you are giving your opponent the tools to beat you by winning. How dare you take your opponents life! I think the meter one gets from taking damage should be low in fighting games. Sure that makes it hard to to come back, but that is what makes it exciting to watch.
I think they should keep breaker the same and just have a "cool down" for it where you can't break for a set amount of time after you break the first time. Something like that would be good.
Also for supers what they need to do with them, instead of giving them a separate bar, is have them give a certain amount of guaranteed damage in combos. Something like 10-15% or so. That way it would make more sense to use the X-ray. In MK9 they scaled horribly and unless you were going for unbreakable damage there was little reason to use one. With better scaling the choice would between blowing all your resources on one giant combo that does 60+% or saving it for something else. That can be your comeback factor...the original comeback factor.

I don't mind a "comeback factor" as long as it's balanced properly.

Take a look at my system on page 3: http://testyourmight.com/threads/breaker-system-in-mk10.41672/page-3#post-1298160

In that system, I've created a 2 meter super/xray style system, however I think I managed to balance it out. By making the EX moves take from the Xray bar, you have to choose between comeback factor (xray) or combo enhancers (ex moves) which, themselves can be a major comeback factor.

The system also has a super meter which the breakers would come from. Again, it forces the player to make a choice, this time between breaking or extending combo damage.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
it is better to have just one meterbar, instead of 2. That requires you to have good metermanagement to seperate the man from the boys...
if they make the supers WORTH risking a breaker then yeah

if not..... it still is just a choice between ex move and breaker.

How good would Xrays be in this game if they didn't scale at all? Would you actually let a combo happen so that you had the chance to basically have a win condition?

That would be perfect to me, and I think that is what you're getting at as well hopefully.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
if they make the supers WORTH risking a breaker then yeah

if not..... it still is just a choice between ex move and breaker.

How good would Xrays be in this game if they didn't scale at all? Would you actually let a combo happen so that you had the chance to basically have a win condition?

That would be perfect to me, and I think that is what you're getting at as well hopefully.
I think the X-Rays shouldn't scale as harshly as they do. Not fully unscaled, but significantly less.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think the X-Rays shouldn't scale as harshly as they do. Not fully unscaled, but significantly less.
After I typed that out... I thought like

what if they did two damage types. a Naked xray does hella damage. talking 45%. (character dependent of course).

an xray inside a combo does less damage... but is unscaled period. like... 25-30% unscaled no matter where in the combo you decide to put it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
After I typed that out... I thought like

what if they did two damage types. a Naked xray does hella damage. talking 45%. (character dependent of course).

an xray inside a combo does less damage... but is unscaled period. like... 25-30% unscaled no matter where in the combo you decide to put it.
Hmm...that would be a great way of handling it. I'd say:

Naked X-Ray does 40-45%

Combo To X-Ray does 25-30% at any point