What's new

Boon, "Mortal Kombat 9 sold closer to 4 million copies" - may have outsold vanilla Street Fighter 4

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
If you remember last week, we reported that NetherRealm Studios said they would be giving their Top 10 moments of 2012. Well, #9 of this countdown was how well Mortal Kombat 9 sold. According to their facebook page, they sold 3 million+ copies, and according to Ed Boon... it was even better than that at 'closer to 4 million'. To add to this and really make us appareciate how well our game sold you're inclined to read the great write-up by EventHubs as they go in to detail with comparing number between Mortal Kombat 9's selling numbers and "vanilla" Street Fighter 4.

Mortal Kombat 9 sold closer to 4 million units than 3 million, according to NetherRealm Studios' Ed Boon. This would mean Mortal Kombat 9 likely outsold the vanilla release of Street Fighter 4, as according to Capcom's IR page, which was last updated on September 30, 2012 — their 4th entry of the previously long dormant franchise had moved 3.2 million copies to date world wide.
This figure doesn't factor in subsequent updates, like the disc releases of SSF4 and SSF4 AE v2012. The disc version of Super Street Fighter 4 was reported to have sold... continue reading.​
la1.jpg

Attachments

axeman87

Noob
Likely would have even cracked the 4M mark if MK9 was available in Australia.

Sure, the die hard fans imported, but the casuals either didnt want to take the risk or simply couldnt be bothered. I know at least half a dozen people who would have bought it if it was on the shelf, but dont get into MK that much.

NKZero

Noob
What I like about Mortal Kombat compared to other fighters is that the gameplay itself is very deep in terms of in depth fighting mechanics and what not. At the same time, the execution is simple enough so that anyone can pick it up and learn it without spending hours practicing one move (EWGF in Tekken) or ridiculous advanced dash movement in UMvC3 for example.

I like the fact that fighting games have tougher execution than other games but at the same time MK9 was balanced perfectly between simple execution for casual players and deep gameplay mechanics for the more competitive players. They got the fine balance perfect imo.

Anyways nice to hear it sold near to 4 million copies, definitely well deserved NRS.

Flagg

Noob
Considering this game was banned in places like Australia, Japan and Germany, those are massive, MASSIVE sales.

I want Injustice to be good, but we'll see if it can match the popularity of MK.

Plop

Noob
What I like about Mortal Kombat compared to other fighters is that the gameplay itself is very deep in terms of in depth fighting mechanics and what not. At the same time, the execution is simple enough so that anyone can pick it up and learn it without spending hours practicing one move (EWGF in Tekken) or ridiculous advanced dash movement in UMvC3 for example.

I like the fact that fighting games have tougher execution than other games but at the same time MK9 was balanced perfectly between simple execution for casual players and deep gameplay mechanics for the more competitive players. They got the fine balance perfect imo.

Anyways nice to hear it sold near to 4 million copies, definitely well deserved NRS.
i completely agree. 1-frame linkscan kiss my ass. im not gonna spend all day just tryin to get the execution down to link a medium punch into a heavy punch

Zmoke

= zσмвιє ѕмσкє, тнє cυяяєηт ѕтαтυѕ σƒ тσм νявα∂αѕѕ
It is worth noticing that Street Fighter 4 is also playable on the PC whereas Mortal Kombat 9 is only for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. This is a reason why Street Fighter (IV) dominates the fighting game activity on the computer, from year to year. Congrats

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I never went out there to say "i hate street fighter because to me lacks creativity" but capcom fan boys doesn't miss an oportunity to bash MK on every success it does.

i use to think the Capcom community is cool, but it seems Capcom community is full of jealous idiot ppl who have never played mk at 1st place and are running around making fool of themselves trying so explain mortal kombat system when they cleary don't understand, and saying the game is dead.

In Angola we love to watch competitive mk like watching football, NeoRussell was here and he felt the hype of every crazy feature happening just for the few of us who could made it, imagine if it was on a scheduled day.

Lets get more entrance than milky SF at EVO to shut the fuck up of their faces, and lets hype the hell off of any match streamed and making a fuckin huge noise like if we're watching football, then they'll not have excuses to bash on our game anymore.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If we want fighting games on the whole to be more popular then we need to work together rather than fighting all the time. Be proud enough of your game that you don't have to hate on everybody else's. We have a lot of work to do to catch up to other types of games -- let's get there together!