What's new

Boon Confirms, No Demo for Mortal Kombat X

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Ehh admit part of me is disappointed, other part isn't this will really make everyone on day one on equal footing. Except for the testers of course....

Also, @ Justice: who said that's never a good sign? What? Dude means nothing lol....except no demo.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Ehh admit part of me is disappointed, other part isn't this will really make everyone on day one on equal footing. Except for the testers of course....

Also, @ Justice: who said that's never a good sign? What? Dude means nothing lol....except no demo.

Why would a free demo not make everyone equal day one?

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
NRS doesn't have enough faith in this game to let people try it before buying. No surprises there!

And did people who say "demos don't exist anymore" forget about PT already? Silly gamers.

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
In no way do I see not having a demo as a negative for the quality of the game. MKX is already the best looking fighter ever and it plays on top of mk9s engine so it will play very similar. It's as close to a sure thing slam dunk as there is if you like mk9.

But yea, not having a demo sucks major camel dick.

MKF30

Why would a free demo not make everyone equal day one?
Because some people can't download the demo/don't have the means to, maybe some folks are still saving for a console to play it on. My friend is doing that....he's not getting a PS4 or Xbox 1 til April(if he's lucky)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Fuck you boon. Why no demo it makes no sense.
It makes tons of sense and has no advantages besides to the individuals who like playing with broken incomplete things just to have something...
It also takes away from the final game itself...and Boon more then likely did not make the decision...
ugh Don't really need a demo if you ask me, Plus it just builds up the anticipation of wanting to play... Also seeing what happen with MK9's demo NRS isn't taking any chances lol.
I'm disappointed by this news but not really all that surprised. Demos just aren't a thing anymore for the most part. And now with things like shareplay why do we even need one? Other than getting our early fix of course. ;)
If this is true, it may not have been done just on principle.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that there may be a lot to do and not a lot of time left to do it. It'd make sense to hunker down on solidifying the final release.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Hmm idk about that. How about the demo that they are using right now? They dont really have to work on it cause its already done.

Malarkey

"What's that? Something like underground?"
I'm glad there isn't a demo, for a different reason than I've seen so far. Since SCR is May 1st this year, meaning it will be two weeks after the release of MKX, this insures a wider variety of characters played at the tournament.

Being so close to release, there was bound to be a lot of demo characters used, as players would be more comfortable with someone they used for a month and two weeks as opposed to just two weeks.

On the other hand, I definitely wish to be able to play sooner. :(

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Because some people can't download the demo/don't have the means to, maybe some folks are still saving for a console to play it on. My friend is doing that....he's not getting a PS4 or Xbox 1 til April(if he's lucky)

IGAU was released 2 weeks before release, which would still be April at this point. Besides, who's to say your friend does get the console by the time MKX releases? If he doesn't he's still not on "equal footing" so should the game be pushed back at that point? I understand your friend's situation but "some people may not have a current gen console" is a weak reason to be glad that there's no demo for the game.

I'm glad there isn't a demo, for a different reason than I've seen so far. Since SCR is May 1st this year, meaning it will be two weeks after the release of MKX, this insures a wider variety of characters played at the tournament.

Being so close to release, there was bound to be a lot of demo characters used, as players would be more comfortable with someone they used for a month and two weeks as opposed to just two weeks.

On the other hand, I definitely wish to be able to play sooner. :(
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Really? This just wouldn't happen. Civil War 5 was, what, 5 days after the release of IGAU and, while Batman won (granted, REO) the top 8 is diverse as all hell.

1. EMP|REO (Batman)
2. EMP|Tom Brady (Aquaman)
3. AGE|NYChrisG (Green Arrow, Black Adam)
4. PTH|MR. Aquaman (Ares)
5. TS|Sabin (Green Lantern)
5. Re$e|Killinator (Doomsday)
7. TS|NerdJosh (Wonder Woman)
7. MH|Alukard (Nightwing)

A DAY 2 Injustice tournament (WNF) was just as diverse with, again, only 2 of the demo characters making top 8 once each.

1. EGP|Tyrant (Superman, Solomon Grundy)
2. EGP|Wonderchef (Aquaman, Wonder Woman)
3. EG|Justin Wong (Batman)
4. EG|Floe (Green Lantern)
5. EGP|Awesomo (Black Adam)
5. EGP|Red Reaper (Doomsday)
7. Aris (Deathstroke)
7. ROMAN (Doomsday)
Sorry if I'm coming off as an ass but all these reasons for "glad there's no demo" are irking me when they're just so bad.

Last edited:

MKF30

IGAU was released 2 weeks before release, which would still be April at this point. Besides, who's to say your friend does get the console by the time MKX releases? If he doesn't he's still not on "equal footing" so should the game be pushed back at that point? I understand your friend's situation but "some people may not have a current gen console" is a weak reason to be glad that there's no demo for the game.
Depends really, I mean curious if one reason they're not doing a demo this time is because of the last gen consoles also getting it keep in mind they'd have to do a version for them as well as the PS4 and Xbox One(then there's the PC version, do they even get demos like with fighters?) i don't know on PC cause I don't really came on it, my friend does though has every console and is one of those techno heads you know? Something new comes out he has to get it....(that's a different friend btw lol) the one i was referring to is like me, takes time to get these things. But for my friend he's a personal friend, so I can assure you he won't be getting it two weeks before. The way he has it set he'll be able to get one the week before because he wants to set it up to get everything at once more or less.

I have an Xbox one for christmas, but I don't have my own HD tv for it(I had to update using my family's TV) yes I'm oldschool and have been using my 90's TV set for everything to date, unfortunately the newer consoles force you to use a newer LED or LCD TV....plus I need to find one that won't lag on the frames of the games.

So there's that case too(in my case I have the console but not a tv for it) I'm shopping around looking for a good price.

But that point wasn't so much for "just current gen" but a console in general, they're not exactly cheap but at any rate I agree with @Konqrr post would you rather have them rush a demo with bugs, glitches only to hear bitching of "omg they better fix this" just to please the people who can't wait? Or would you rather they concentrate on the actual full game itself for a better experience for us? Like you said, for injustice it was 2 weeks released before but for MK 9 it was at least a month before and only for PS3 I recall...not Xbox 360.

I don't mind waiting, we've waited this long.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Depends really, I mean curious if one reason they're not doing a demo this time is because of the last gen consoles also getting it keep in mind they'd have to do a version for them as well as the PS4 and Xbox One(then there's the PC version, do they even get demos like with fighters?) i don't know on PC cause I don't really came on it, my friend does though has every console and is one of those techno heads you know? Something new comes out he has to get it....(that's a different friend btw lol) the one i was referring to is like me, takes time to get these things.

We're not discussing why they're not doing it, we're discussing why you're glad it's not happening.

I have an Xbox one for christmas, but I don't have my own HD tv for it(I had to update using my family's TV) yes I'm oldschool and have been using my 90's TV set for everything to date, unfortunately the newer consoles force you to use a newer LED or LCD TV....plus I need to find one that won't lag on the frames of the games.
What does this have to do with the demo?

So there's that case too(in my case I have the console but not a tv for it) I'm shopping around looking for a good price.
Oh, that. So it's again "some people may not have the equipment needed ready for their demo" which, again, is a terrible reason to be glad there's no demo.

But that point wasn't so much for "just current gen" but a console in general, they're not exactly cheap but at any rate I agree with @Konqrr post would you rather have them rush a demo with bugs, glitches only to hear bitching of "omg they better fix this" just to please the people who can't wait? Or would you rather they concentrate on the actual full game itself for a better experience for us? Like you said, for injustice it was 2 weeks released before but for MK 9 it was at least a month before and only for PS3 I recall...not Xbox 360.
Again, we're not discussing why they didn't do it but why you're glad they did. I've already made all those points in a previous post of mine.

I don't get this one, why did MK9/IGAU have demos but not MKX? My best guess is they can't allocate resources to making a demo build for new gen and instead are putting all effort into the retail game.
Again, not what I'm arguing. You said this:

other part isn't this will really make everyone on day one on equal footing. Except for the testers of course....
I took umbridge with this statement because I found it an awful reason to be glad there's no demo and I wanted you to elaborate to which you came with "well, some people may not have a PS4/XBO yet so think about them". No. Terrible reason. Then you came with "well, it's better they use this time on retail rather than a demo" which, again, was never my argument.

Edit: Again, sorry if I'm being a dick but I'm not pleased with this news, even if I can understand the reasoning behind it, but people glad that it's not happening because "every can be on equal footing now" or "early tournaments would be dominated by demo characters" is terrible.

coolwhip

Noob
only you would say Good to there being no demo,

Jesus man, do you even like Mortal Kombat??? why are you here again??
I love Mortal Kombat. I'm capable of waiting an extra few weeks to play the full game. You're quite aware I'm not speaking for everybody, so when I say good, I'm speaking for myself, from a selfish perspective. Thanks for the terrific post. Immeasurable value, as always.