What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Blood God BloodGod is underwhelming AF. Went back to Wargod & difference is Night and day.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
If it were up to me, Kotal Khan would probably become completely broken.

Across all variations, make his deflect special reflect projectiles and give the EX version invincibility throughout the animations of it onscreen.

In Sun God, give EX Sun Throw three hits or armor. Also, end the EX Sun Throw with a ground bounce - or add another link in there for more damage.

In Blood God, make one of his totems give him armor. Also, make them interactable for both players. (Throw them, jump off them)

In Sun God, make his EX Sword Throw come back after it goes off-screen and give it a hit on the way back too.

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
If it were up to me, Kotal Khan would probably become completely broken.

Across all variations, make his deflect special reflect projectiles and give the EX version invincibility throughout the animations of it onscreen.

In Sun God, give EX Sun Throw three hits or armor.

In Blood God, make one of his totems give him armor. Also, make them interactable for both players. (Throw them, jump off them)

In Sun God, make his EX Sword Throw come back after it goes off-screen and give it a hit on the way back too.
If it were up to me kotal wouldn't have arms in any of his variations :DOGE

Mrfinesse28

Your Sacrifice Honors Me!
I had around 2 weeks with bloodgod where I played him exclusively, thinking at the beginning he could be super viable if I just learned people's block strings, that way I could go in for the counter attack and take advantage of his superior totem damage. Sounds easy right? But boy was I wrong... Not that I don't appreciate where NRS was going with this variation, he's a powerhouse (in the corner mainly) when his totem is up and so it's difficult to balance such a high damage character, but I think they skimped on far too much with this variation, and didn't give him the tools he needs. I can forgive the lack of armour, even though it would make total sense to at least make his parry worth using... no the problem I have with this variation is that he is unsafe as fuck without meter, and given that he doesn't have much in the way of opening up opponents he just don't cut it.

His f1b2 is unsafe and gets you punished easily so I relegated it in favour of his f2 which feels safer with the added push back and does great damage especially with totem, but is slow and therefore difficult to punish people with, even when they whiff. His only fast and safe string that leads to combo is 114, which is great if you can ever fucking land it, most of the time he's waving his arms in mid air over the opponent even when they block, so I could pretty much only use it after a jump in. His b122 is unsafe, but with meter, sunstone can make it safe and give you advantage to boot, problem is that even with crystal totem up the damage it does is mediocre 32% with totem and 24% without, hang on... I just spent a bar of meter and isn't this guy supposed to be a powerhouse? B14 into sunstone is another option if you want to mix things up abit and go for a low, but there's not much point using it becasue the opponent can poke out of the combo just before using sunstone on this string, thanks to the fact that his projectile has no armour, it also somehow got low profiled a few times even though sunstone is supposed to be a mid, so yeh, i waste a bar of meter and lose my frame advantage, and get punished for using a string that is supposedly safe.

I know, wargod has its fair share of problems, but after going back to it, the difference is night and day, my mid screen punishes actually do decent damage and I can make shit safe again with df2. I don't even care that much about bloodgods great corner damage, it relies on the the totem being up in the first place and good luck trying to start a corner combo on a competent player while it's up.

So yeh, I see no match up where bloodgod is the better option, so pretty much I think NRS fucked up this variation, and pray they buff him enough so that he's viable. On the other side of the coin it's super satisfying if you ever manage land that totem corner combo, so yeh he does have alittle something going for him I guess...
He bro add me I would like to play u I play Kotal too xbl Mrfinesse28

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
Im my opinion Blood is a "fun" variation. In that you play it when you're in the mood to just mess around in casuals or play with it's gimmicks. There's nothing wrong with that though and I think thats the biggest perk of the variation system. For some reason everyone seems to expect every variation to be balanced and strong. Im almost 100% certain that NRS put some of these variations in just to add a little spice to your main when you get bored.

With that said, The main issue I believe holds blood back from being very viable is the duration of the totems. Damage totem requires setup and does not stay active long enough to allow for proper footsies or whiff baiting. What I mean by this is that when you get a damage totem up, you are up against a very short clock in which you must try and set your opponent up for damage. With no armored specials or easy safe ways to open your opponent up, this is extremely difficult to try and rush. Kotal is just not a character that can always rush in and get instant offense.

The damage totem going away on hit (Not block) would solve alot of Blood's problems in my opinion. This would allow time for the footsies, whiff baiting and block punishing that Kotal needs. Defense and leech are fine as is.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I believe better parry would solve so many issues with KK. I mean, it doesn't affect variation viability that much, but I don't think it would break character as a whole either, so...