What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Blood God BloodGod is underwhelming AF. Went back to Wargod & difference is Night and day.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I had around 2 weeks with bloodgod where I played him exclusively, thinking at the beginning he could be super viable if I just learned people's block strings, that way I could go in for the counter attack and take advantage of his superior totem damage. Sounds easy right? But boy was I wrong... Not that I don't appreciate where NRS was going with this variation, he's a powerhouse (in the corner mainly) when his totem is up and so it's difficult to balance such a high damage character, but I think they skimped on far too much with this variation, and didn't give him the tools he needs. I can forgive the lack of armour, even though it would make total sense to at least make his parry worth using... no the problem I have with this variation is that he is unsafe as fuck without meter, and given that he doesn't have much in the way of opening up opponents he just don't cut it.

His f1b2 is unsafe and gets you punished easily so I relegated it in favour of his f2 which feels safer with the added push back and does great damage especially with totem, but is slow and therefore difficult to punish people with, even when they whiff. His only fast and safe string that leads to combo is 114, which is great if you can ever fucking land it, most of the time he's waving his arms in mid air over the opponent even when they block, so I could pretty much only use it after a jump in. His b122 is unsafe, but with meter, sunstone can make it safe and give you advantage to boot, problem is that even with crystal totem up the damage it does is mediocre 32% with totem and 24% without, hang on... I just spent a bar of meter and isn't this guy supposed to be a powerhouse? B14 into sunstone is another option if you want to mix things up abit and go for a low, but there's not much point using it becasue the opponent can poke out of the combo just before using sunstone on this string, thanks to the fact that his projectile has no armour, it also somehow got low profiled a few times even though sunstone is supposed to be a mid, so yeh, i waste a bar of meter and lose my frame advantage, and get punished for using a string that is supposedly safe.

I know, wargod has its fair share of problems, but after going back to it, the difference is night and day, my mid screen punishes actually do decent damage and I can make shit safe again with df2. I don't even care that much about bloodgods great corner damage, it relies on the the totem being up in the first place and good luck trying to start a corner combo on a competent player while it's up.

So yeh, I see no match up where bloodgod is the better option, so pretty much I think NRS fucked up this variation, and pray they buff him enough so that he's viable. On the other side of the coin it's super satisfying if you ever manage land that totem corner combo, so yeh he does have alittle something going for him I guess...

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Who says War God is high tier? lol

I actually have BLood God probably better for one matchup which is surprising.

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
Do you know how satisfying it is to land a 71% combo midscreen? But once i tried war god for the first time i damn near shit my pants. It fixes everything that blood god can't do, which is A LOT. Bad pressure, no wakeups, no safe strings (that im aware of). But i play it anyway for swag

mattnin

Noob
Do you know how satisfying it is to land a 71% combo midscreen? But once i tried war god for the first time i damn near shit my pants. It fixes everything that blood god can't do, which is A LOT. Bad pressure, no wakeups, no safe strings (that im aware of). But i play it anyway for swag
What 71% combo mid screen?

mattnin

Noob
Blood God vs. a good War God is also a losing scenario. War God has some mixup potential and better reach than Blood God.

It's hard to find any MU's at this point where BG is the preferred variation. Most of the good players out there have pretty much figured out how to punish everything Kotal and I've noticed it's being done more consistently now than ever.

If there is anything good about BG, it's that he has really nothing to offer so you're going to end up learning just pure footsie skill. Take what you learn from your fruitless struggles with BG and apply them to a top tier char + variation and you'll be unstoppable.

That being said, there is nothing more satisfying than winning with BG in my opinion. I love especially heading to a KOTH room and tearing it up with a BG. It seems that most players respect a BG player because they know it's a gimped variation and it's nice to see someone choose a rarely used variation and kick a$$ with it. Besides, BG is the best looking Kotal. But the OP is right, going back to War God after weeks of BG is like a wake up call and why was I wasting all this time on BG.

mattnin

Noob
bloodgod vs wargod is pretty bad for wargod imo. parry rapes wargod
Are you consistently punishing Kotal somehow using parry? Please share your tech, vid if you have it of a live match. I've found parry much to inconsistent to use for anything other than a select few wake ups.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Are you consistently punishing Kotal somehow using parry? Please share your tech, vid if you have it of a live match. I've found parry much to inconsistent to use for anything other than a select few wake ups.
Nope, i cant even consistently armor trough all his gaps (wich makes him bottomtier)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
JEAH

JEAH

JEAH
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I DRINK YOUR BLUT BITCH!
DUDE! I FUCK YOU!

*Look away from the screen, mash X-Ray*

And a faint Russian accent murmurs in the background:

'Nooooooo'

In fact, MKX terminology shouldn't apply to blood good

F2 - JEAH!
D2 - UPPERCUT!!!
Grab - Grrrrrrep!
Air Grab - UUUUUUHHHHHH!

All other strings - YehYehYeh!

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
As people have said, this isn't really news. BG can be better than WG defensively in some projectile based zoning matchups (e.g. Kitana), but then you're sacrificing WG's reach and mixups when you do get it, so it's almost a wash. Kotal is a solid character, but, like in any 1 on 1 fighting game, unless you play top top tier, you will need a pocket character to cover your bad matchups. Just look at the recent SF4 Evo finals.

@PND_Ketchup, respect to Madzin, but in the matches he won with BG, it was obvious that his opponent didn't know the matchup. Heck, the commentators didn't even know what BG could do (and how could they with the insane number of variations in this game). Don't get me wrong, Aquaman has some wins with BG against opponent's that do, but anything else really needs to be taken with a grain of salt.