What's new

Tech Black Adam Reset

Is the reset worth it?

• Total voters

Vocket

Day 1 Phenomenal Teth-Adam Player
Short version: By dropping a combo and ending with B2 which is +14, you can force the opponent to block a 50/50 mixup.

Most of the Black Adam players are aware of his ability to cross up with boot stomp and the massive advantage that his strings canceled into trait give.

His most advantageous block strings are 112, 113, and b2 into trait. Unfortunately, the only viable way to set up these block strings is through a jump attack, except for b2~trait. Still, b2~trait has the drawback of having to do it point blank and in the corner for the deadliest mixups to hit.
(See this thread for more information)

Fortunately, there also exists several ways to get enough advantage from a hit to create a 50/50 mixup. These moves below all grant 10 more advantage on HIT.

j2, 2 , 22, 11, d1, and b2

By observing and testing all of them I narrowed the best to b2 and d1 because they have the largest range and the least amount of push back. Every other move causes too much pushback, making j1 miss, even in the corner. (22 works in the corner but its lack of range and it failing midscreen makes b2 preferable.

I will talk about B2 first because it is most interesting and broken part of my tech. First of all, you must understand that this tech only works when b2 HITS, so the best way to accomplish this is to intentionally drop a combo and end with b2. Hence, the reset.

Dropping comboes is usually not a good idea with BA, since you are usually giving up huge guaranteed damage for free. That is why the best time to use this reset would be when you catch an opponent with BM or 11xxBM. Black Magic scales a lot in BA's comboes, so using this reset only in BM comboes will sacrifice the least amount of damage.

The good part of this reset is that it has no drawbacks besides possibly missed damage. It can end in j1 mb boot stomp which is +9, or in b23 which is +3. Finally, the reset only requires 1 meter to theraten it but it is not required to use the meter.

Below are the damage comparisons of using both 11xxBM and BM with and without the reset. Meterless resetless damage goes first, and then reset damage.

11xxBM Combo
meterless.
[31%] 11xxBM, nj2, 22b1, j2, far boot stomp, b23, 13

1 meter
[36%] 11xxlightning cage, b3, j3, b23+13

VS

Reset succesful - 1 meter for first option
[54%] or [45%] 11xxBM, nj2, b2. (j1~mb far boot stomp, fj1~far boot stomp, b23+13) or (b23, 11xxBM, b23+13)

Reset failure - 1 meter for first option, left at +9 or +3
[16.41%] or [14.33%] 11xxBM, nj2, b2. (j1~far boot stomp) or (b23)

Black Magic Combo
Meterless
[21%] BM, dash b23, 112xxhands at a far distance but not full screen
[29%] BM, dash 22b1, j2~far boot stomp, b23+13 at closer ranges

1 meter
[29%] MB BM, j3~far boot stomp, b23+13 works full screen

VS

Reset succesful - 1 meter for first option
[47%] or [38%] BM, dash b2. (j1~MB far boot stomp, fj1~far boot stomp, b23+13) or (b23, 11xxBM, b23+13)

Reset Failure - 1 meter for first option, left at +9 or +3
[9.41%] or [7.33%] BM, dash b2. (j1~MB far boot stomp) or (b23)

If you number crunch it then on average the reset does not seem to be worth it form the damage, but BA is a monster who almost always has meter at all times. Plus you can always go for different mixups if they start blocking you.

The beauty of is the reset is more than just the 50/50. From b2 you can go directly into b2~trait, 112~trait, and 113~trait (you can also go into these strings after cross up MB boot stomp). Thus, the b2 reset is a gateway to the trait block strings, and from those you have an immense amount of options. Here is a video showing some those options and some gimmicks combined together.

Now comes the bad part of the reset. It is heavily character dependent, and it works mostly only on the large and tall characters. Most of the characters that can be crossed up midscreen can also in the corner but there are a couuple of oddballs thanks to different hitboxes.

NOTE:
B2 done from max range won't connect midscreen because of the greater pushback. However, it works most of the time at nearly max range, approiximately 1 step forward from the starting positions of a match.

B2, J1~fbs crosses up
Midscreen
Batman
Joker
Harley Quinn
Solomon Grundy
Cyborg
Deathstroke
Aquaman
Ares
Doomsday
Shazam
Green Lantern
Sinestro
Black Adam
Bane

Corner
Batman
Joker
Solomon Grundy
Cyborg
Lex
Raven
Wonder Woman
Ares
Doomsday
Hawkgirl
Shazam
Green Lantern
Sinestro
Black Adam
Bane

Last thing about b2 reset that deserves mention. On four characters, Lex, Green Lantern, Sinestro, and Black Adam himself you can do a 33/33/33 mixup. By doing a fj2 the opponent will be instantly crossed up, and can be continued with a boot stomp on the side that j2 hits (or it can switch directions sometimes for ultimate hilarity).

Unlike nj1, fj2 is not guaranteed at all and can be ducked, foward dashed, anti-aired with d2, and dodged by slimply standing still or walking forward. So it only works after you have conditioned them to the original action.
Here is a video showing poor Green Lantern trying all options that beat fj2

As mentoined way above d1 also grants a 50/50 mixup. It only happens if you do it point blank though. As far I can tell the d1 50/50 mixup is best set up after 223 or 113 when you d1 an opponent trying to hit back after those strings. 11 is guaranteed point blank, 22 at a little less than max range, and you can always d1~hands after a d1 that hits.

Rico Suave
Smoke
AK Smarrgasm
usedcarsalesmang
Gruntypants
Error
Peckapowa
FOREVER KING
JaredL
MITDJT
Perfect Legend
Killin Natzees
FrothyOmen
Metzos
Joker8417
Qwark28
AK Pig Of The Hut
Tom Brady
Vulcan Hades
SonicBoomBrad
Celerity
Mikemetroid

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
first video is private, and good thing none of this works on the flash :) also where is the i don't care BA is stooopid option? :p

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I would maybe use this off of one thing. The ice canister on the Asylum stages. Go into the reset off of it to possibly open them up for big damage.

Vocket

Youre dropping 46% guaranteed to get a possible 50 which would cost a bar. Not worth it IMO. Cool stuff but 11 trait combos would be better at all times.
Well this is done without trait so it is not 46% but 31%. If you have trait I agree that 11xxtrait can be better, but sometimes you just have meter while trait is on cooldown. This reset also takes quite a bit time which is good for getting that trait back.

Off a naked bm a trait cancel is truly a waste so the reset is more cost effecient there. Well maybe not as 36% guaranteed is a lot more than the pasty 7% you get if you guess wrong. Well atleast you can do the reset without trait.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Nobody will get hit after the B2, they will just be glad you didnt finish your combo. Theres no reason for them to duck or anything, and you are wasting guaranteed damage. Sorry but nope.

Vocket

Nobody will get hit after the B2, they will just be glad you didnt finish your combo. Theres no reason for them to duck or anything, and you are wasting guaranteed damage. Sorry but nope.
They have 0 reason to block low. They have a good reason to try to guess which side to block on. Yes it is wasting guaranteed damage for potentially some more or less that is why it is a reset.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
"Thats why its a reset" is a shit reason. Your are HITTING with b2 and choosing not to follow up.
Everyone can open the wiki and read the frame data, hell its in the pause screen. If something is + frames on hit, well thats great. No need to make a thread.

This isnt a reset. This is just hitting someone with a normal.

Vocket

"Thats why its a reset" is a shit reason. Your are HITTING with b2 and choosing not to follow up.
Everyone can open the wiki and read the frame data, hell its in the pause screen. If something is + frames on hit, well thats great. No need to make a thread.

A reset can be a lot of things including gimmicky shit like dropping a combo to do some cheap mixup. In this case dropping the combo was ok for me because black magic comboes scale a lot. Also yes everyone can read the frame data but not everyone (no one wants to help me) can test it to see on which characters j1 hits and so on.

If you want to go for guaranteed damage that is ok. For me this thread serves as a reference for when I will try to create resets including interactables and to see which characters are vulnerable to a point blank j1 cross up boot stomp. Also this reset is the only guaranteed way to be able to perform a j1 50/50 mixup without trait.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
If you want to go for guaranteed damage that is ok. For me this thread serves as a reference for when I will try to create resets including interactables and to see which characters are vulnerable to a point blank j1 cross up boot stomp. Also this reset is the only guaranteed way to be able to perform a j1 50/50 mixup without trait.
Black adam only needs to hit with 2 B2 combos (40%~ each) and then the rest comes from chip/grab/trait/interactable. You literally gain about 10% from doing this reset and you have to burn meter to do it. Its no where near worth it, this is a bad way to utilise your b2 on hit.
Honestly its not even an argument. The point of using mixups and setups is to open people up, If you arent going to do the damage when you earned the hit on them then whats the point....

Vocket

Black adam only needs to hit with 2 B2 combos (40%~ each) and then the rest comes from chip/grab/trait/interactable. You literally gain about 10% from doing this reset and you have to burn meter to do it. Its no where near worth it, this is a bad way to utilise your b2 on hit.
Honestly its not even an argument. The point of using mixups and setups is to open people up, If you arent going to do the damage when you earned the hit on them then whats the point....
for the 11xxBM you can gain 18% if the reset works, or you can lose 20% damage. If you look at the damage alone then the reset is not that good and mind you that was the for the most damaging reset. You are missing the detail that you end at +9 next to the opponent for basically a free grab attempt and other mix ups.

As for the meter use qwark has probably said it best that (highly paraphrased) BA shits and breathes meter so that shouldn't be too much a problem. The biggest difference between going for max damage and this reset is that you get to keep your trait, and you make time to recharge it.

Vocket

Since it's getting late here I'll leave a final note. My next thread that I am working on right is how to get guaranteed intractable damage when they are blocking. This reset and the j1 cross up boot stomp tech help a lot in setting up the right positions and frame advantage to do it.

Peace smokey I know this reset is somewhat gimmicky and imo is most viable on the four characters you can do the 33/33/33 mixup.

Celerity

Lab Monster
Actually, I think this would be useful if you need just a little more time to get a bar of meter + cooldown on trait. If you already have trait or meter, though, you'll probably lose damage in the long run by going for this.

Dropping a combo on purpose with the intention of starting a new one is literally the definition of a reset.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
for the 11xxBM you can gain 18% if the reset works, or you can lose 20% damage. If you look at the damage alone then the reset is not that good and mind you that was the for the most damaging reset. You are missing the detail that you end at +9 next to the opponent for basically a free grab attempt and other mix ups.

As for the meter use qwark has probably said it best that (highly paraphrased) BA shits and breathes meter so that shouldn't be too much a problem. The biggest difference between going for max damage and this reset is that you get to keep your trait, and you make time to recharge it.

Meter gain never justifies giving up guaranteed damage for a crap reset though. You state that D1 on hit gives the same setup as the B2, and theres tons of opportunities in a match to hitconfirm a D1 and go for the crossup. Giving up a guaranteed combo and the other options that gives you (the MB Black Magic setups or just a bigger life lead) to go for a setup that is just a case of being + frames on hit is silly.

If you land a b2 and dont hitconfirm into a combo in time, fair enough you are + in their face. Thats not a case of a "reset" though, it is just knowing frame data. I see where you are coming from but the reward just isnt worth letting them out of the combo, and seems very counterproductive.
Im not trying to say you cant gain from this. Its just not worth the risk

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Actually, I think this would be useful if you need just a little more time to get a bar of meter + cooldown on trait. If you already have trait or meter, though, you'll probably lose damage in the long run by going for this.

Dropping a combo on purpose with the intention of starting a new one is literally the definition of a reset.

In the case i was making, hit confirming a B2 on its own for the + frames instead of taking a full combo, thats not a reset. Thats just a bad way to lose guaranteed damage.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Since it's getting late here I'll leave a final note. My next thread that I am working on right is how to get guaranteed intractable damage when they are blocking. This reset and the j1 cross up boot stomp tech help a lot in setting up the right positions and frame advantage to do it.

Peace smokey I know this reset is somewhat gimmicky and imo is most viable on the four characters you can do the 33/33/33 mixup.

Peace. To summarise what im trying to say- you should priorities guaranteed damage over gimmicks IMO or you are playing very wastefully.

Celerity

Lab Monster
In the case i was making, hit confirming a B2 on its own for the + frames instead of taking a full combo, thats not a reset. Thats just a bad way to lose guaranteed damage.
Any time you end your combo on purpose to try and get more damage, it's a reset. You can say it's a bad reset if you want, but it's still a reset, there's nothing wrong with calling it one.

And you can't say guaranteed damage is always better, it's an issue of math. A 50% chance of getting 80% damage is usually better than a 100% chance of getting 30% damage, assuming they're full health. Batgirl's vortex is a reset where you sacrifice a very small amount of guaranteed damage for a 50/50 chance at much more.

There are even cases where you might go for a "bad" reset, like if you know your full combo is going to leave them at really low health with a ton of meter, it might be better to reset them for a full kill rather than risk the comeback. So, even a bad reset has situational uses.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Any time you end your combo on purpose to try and get more damage, it's a reset. You can say it's a bad reset if you want, but it's still a reset, there's nothing wrong with calling it one.

And you can't say guaranteed damage is always better, it's an issue of math. A 50% chance of getting 80% damage is usually better than a 100% chance of getting 30% damage, assuming they're full health. Batgirl's vortex is a reset where you sacrifice a very small amount of guaranteed damage for a 50/50 chance at much more.

There are even cases where you might go for a "bad" reset, like if you know your full combo is going to leave them at really low health with a ton of meter, it might be better to reset them for a full kill rather than risk the comeback. So, even a bad reset has situational uses.

Yes dropping your combo to end in a mixup situation is a reset, though i was just talking about hitting someone with a b2. You get like 40% off the combo from b2, or you get like 6% + some chip if the reset doesnt work. What you are talking about is correct, we are just not talking about the same setup. (Though i still think using this reset is wasteful at the best of times as black adam controls the neutral game so well, a larger lifelead and saving your meter would always be my choice)

I don't play Black Adam but it would be pretty nasty to catch someone on that second health bar (after they've already used up their clash). It would catch them off guard and would more than likely be able to finish off a round. But outside of that scenario (once again I don't play BA) it seems as though BA has enough tools and options to find better work arounds in the vanilla meta game of Injustice.

Vocket

Damn I got blown up over night. No one person even thinks its worth it. I don't know a about you but I will abuse this against people who don't even know that BA can can cross up with his boot stomp.

smokey you talked about d1 and the hit advantage on that is broken. Taking from sinestro's d1 mixup Black Adam can also do another 50/50. The problem is that it has to hit point blank and you have to hit confirm a 6 frame move which is impossible for me. Best use I can think of is that it can work as a punish for things that 11 does not reach to go into guaranteed 22 pressure.

Damn I got blown up over night. No one person even thinks its worth it. I don't know a about you but I will abuse this against people who don't even know that BA can can cross up with his boot stomp.
Well anyone whose going to a threat at the high level will know of the cross up. As I said it has a very good viable use and you have to consider that this game is just handing out meter like it's hot cakes so go for it. But its not something I would work my game around. Id say once in a blue moon and in a pinch situation.