What's new

Black Adam - "Black Magic" Forward 3 Vortex by Vulcan Hades

these are no where near as ambiguous as sfxt where characters phase through you.

These are readable cross ups. Ambiguity on cross ups means you don't know what side they are going to hit you on, but on this game you can tell based off of the jump distance and where they activating the attack.

I came from sfxt, so relatively speaking these are ok. In SFxT players would literally cross you up depending on what button was pushed regardless of when the attack was activated and some that just didn't make sense like poison's j fierce which can cross you up even though she is still in front of you. If it hits she just phases (you) through you and lands on the other side (Heiachi, Paul, Jin, christie). Or the exact same setups in sfxt, which will sometimes cross you up or not depending on the games current emotional state.

Although these can be difficult at times to read, they make sense in this game. That's a good thing.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
these are no where near as ambiguous as sfxt where characters phase through you.

These are readable cross ups. Ambiguity on cross ups means you don't know what side they are going to hit you on, but on this game you can tell based off of the jump distance and where they activating the attack.

I came from sfxt, so relatively speaking these are ok. In SFxT players would literally cross you up depending on what button was pushed regardless of when the attack was activated and some that just didn't make sense like poison's j fierce which can cross you up even though she is still in front of you. If it hits she just phases (you) through you and lands on the other side (Heiachi, Paul, Jin, christie). Or the exact same setups in sfxt, which will sometimes cross you up or not depending on the games current emotional state.

Although these can be difficult at times to read, they make sense in this game. That's a good thing.

I dunno man, Black Adam can spend one meter to do a meterburned close boot stomp, and while his arc may be hitting behind you, he can cancel to hit infront.

You're half right.

But you know the biggest difference? In SFxT, if you're hit by a hard knockdown you can still roll forward. The roll mechanic was put in place to counter these vortexes. Yes, you can still 50/50 someone if you read the forward roll, but the key word here is read. If I'm on the offensive I have to make a choice if I go for my safe jump OS vortex or if I try to bait out the roll.

In Injustice you cannot roll if you're hit by a hard knockdown and you cannot stay grounded like in MK9. You also cannot mash wake up attack, you have to time them. Which makes it extra hard to get out of these kinds of situations.

On the other hand, in Injustice I can't truly safe jump option-select like I can in AE. So I still have to make a read: do I go for my 50/50s or do I give it up to try to bait and whiff punish a wake up attack. There is no magical combination of buttons that will make the read for me.

But yes, I do think this vortex in particular can become somewhat readable. I think if a top player spends enough time studying it he will eventually know which side to block 80% of the time. The only thing that's impossible to spot right now is the 50/50 dive kick because there's a glitch that makes the cross-up dive kick sometimes hit front and on some characters the close dive kick can cross-up at some points. Which means even if you had jedi reaction and managed to reverse block the dive kick you would still get hit half of the time.

You're half right.

But you know the biggest difference? In SFxT, if you're hit by a hard knockdown you can still roll forward. The roll's mechanic was put in place to counter these vortexes. Yes, you can still 50/50 someone if you read the forward roll, but the key word here is read. If I'm on the offensive I have to make a choice if I go for my safe jump OS vortex or if I try to bait out the roll.

In Injustice you cannot roll if you're hit by a hard knockdown and you cannot stay grounded like in MK9. You also cannot mash wake up attack, you have to time them. Which makes it extra hard to get out of these kinds of situations.

On the other hand, in Injustice I can't truly safe jump option-select like I can in AE. So I still have to make a read: do I go for my 50/50s or do I give it up to try to bait and whiff punish a wake up attack. There is no magical combination of buttons that will make the read for me.

But yes, I do think this vortex in particular can become somewhat readable. I think if a top player spends enough time studying it he will eventually know which side to block 80% of the time. The only thing that's impossible to spot right now is the 50/50 dive kick because there's a glitch that makes the cross-up dive kick sometimes hit front and on some characters the close dive kick can cross-up at some points. Which means even if you had jedi reaction and managed to reverse block the dive kick you would still get hit half of the time.

As far as potentially nerfing BA, as I've said numerous times before I wouldn't mind a dive kick nerf and a damage reduction tbh. But they can't touch anything else like his projectiles, backdash* and trait. Those things are the core of his game imo. *Shortening his backdash a little bit would be more fair than adding substantial recovery to it.
well said, but rolls can be baited in sfxt to get free damage that takes away recoverable health and certain characters neutral jumps cover that. There is reading but certain situations you can't avoid these cross up's in sfxt. They're not always set up by untechables. Great job though Hades... I look forward to seeing more of your work. I'm a BA fan from the comics, but not a top tier fan. When he gets nerfed, I'll join your army.

BlacR3ap3r

I WILL SPIT ON YOUR TOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the only problem im having now is the j2 always seems to cross up no matter how i time the f3

the only problem im having now is the j2 always seems to cross up no matter how i time the f3
"seems" is the key word here.

Although the attack crosses up on a stationary dummy, if they hold forward to try and block it like a cross-up it will hit front.

To achieve different results you have to play with the timing of MB blackmagic, F3 and J1/J2.

I'm having an issue w/ getting black magic to hit after the b+2... suggestions?
http://testyourmight.com/threads/black-adam-black-magic-forward-3-vortex-by-vulcan-hades.33020/#post-884058

KamikazeJD

Makes women fap
Ok friends I have found something This also goes with Vulcan's vortex! A different set-up for it. I noticed a lot of people, even during some of my matches at evo, that would duck when I try and do a neutral jump with BA, so I played around in practice and found this set-up.

NJ3->FBS->1->trait cancel->1,1 MB black magic-> F3 (48%)

I havent seen many people set up the NJ3 game, and I found a few BnB's i'll add to the combo section.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I ccan't seem to get the fake crossup to work. :( I was working on this for a while too.
Is this combo specific? Or odoes the F.3 need to be space specific?
Vulcan Hades

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Bah there's so much stuff for BA, supes, GL that I've had enough. I do play GL but I have seen enough of these guys in streams and weekly tournaments. Of all the characters BA, Supes, DS aren't that interesting characters. I play Hawkgirl, Batgirl, Harley, Nightwing, Aquaman, Shazam, Wonder Woman, and catwoman which are far more interesting than BA.
There can never be enough GL stuff dawg.

I ccan't seem to get the fake crossup to work. :( I was working on this for a while too.
Is this combo specific? Or odoes the F.3 need to be space specific?
Vulcan Hades
Yes, everything must have an exact timing and the same hit count/gravity scaling. If you add 1 hit or don't respect the timing it's not going to work. If you try a different combo ending with MB Black Magic, F3 it's not going to work.

But this video was made a while ago. (back when wake ups were shitty lol) So it's also possible that something changed making this less viable than it was back then.