What's new

Big E Gaming is proud to announce Winter Brawl VII at the amazing Holiday Inn – Stadium Hotel.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Wish I could go but simply do not have the finances at this time to make another cross country trip. NEC and WB are just too closely spaced together. Maybe for SummerJam, definitely NEC in December.

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Premium Supporter
MK9 will finish out to top 8 Saturday. I will also not be running a stream this time and if I can find someone else, we can have the 2D stream setup. Otherwise, there will be 2D setups again just like last time. On a realistic note, I do not expect there to be as many players at WB as NEC merely due to the relative nature of NEC being the biggest event of the year for Big E. I do not expect, what was entirely community driven BS at NEC, to have any impact on the typical turn out.

We will have most likely the same number of setups as last time and I will be churning out pools with Phil if he's there, there will be no issues. No matter what, there will be at least one stream and brackets will be done by me, or me and Phil. If they are just done by me, I will select someone to guide me through player region locations and skill levels to prevent conflicts. If not, the pools will likely not be as good as they were at NEC and you guys know they were good.

As for 2D tournaments, they might have to get pushed to Sunday unless we do something similar and run them to top 4s Saturday and save them for the stream Sunday. I am hoping for about 64 players.

Rooms are going fast.

Hey what do you guys think about having a pre-tournament Friday night inside the sport bar of the hotel this time?
I'm down. Also, I thought it was great at NEC where the stream was on the TVs in the bar. I was able to get some dinner without missing top 8 of Soulcalibur.

Warrior
MK9 will finish out to top 8 Saturday. I will also not be running a stream this time and if I can find someone else, we can have the 2D stream setup. Otherwise, there will be 2D setups again just like last time. On a realistic note, I do not expect there to be as many players at WB as NEC merely due to the relative nature of NEC being the biggest event of the year for Big E. I do not expect, what was entirely community driven BS at NEC, to have any impact on the typical turn out.

We will have most likely the same number of setups as last time and I will be churning out pools with Phil if he's there, there will be no issues. No matter what, there will be at least one stream and brackets will be done by me, or me and Phil. If they are just done by me, I will select someone to guide me through player region locations and skill levels to prevent conflicts. If not, the pools will likely not be as good as they were at NEC and you guys know they were good.

As for 2D tournaments, they might have to get pushed to Sunday unless we do something similar and run them to top 4s Saturday and save them for the stream Sunday. I am hoping for about 64 players.

Shock, I'm already confirmed for WB. rsiegel28 is as well, and he will be there running pools with us, in full Nazi mode.

You and I...and ONLY you and I will have access to making pools and brackets at WB.

We will be using STRICTLY the signup sheet we get from BigE's crew. If you're not on that list, you're not getting seeded.

I will be asking everyone to ensure to put this information on the signup sheet for BigE's Crew:
1. Name
2. Gamertag
3. Location
4. Team/Affiliation

We will use that information along with previous tournament placements to determine top seeds.

I will also be doing what we did at WB 2012 which is to set specific times for each set of pools. I am assuming each set of pools to take between 1.5 - 2 hours each, meaning we should be able to get to top 16 within 8 hours, max, then go from 16 down to 8 within another 2 hours.

As for the streams, both will be there again and set up again, but under no circumstances will I be nothing more than a stream jockey. My real skill is out there in the trenches running pools and getting stuff done.

With the right scheduling, we CAN get MK9 to top 8, MK2, and UMK3 done all on Saturday, leaving Sunday for MK9 Top 8, MK9 Teams, and any other side MK games we want to play. I'm not going to make promises I can't keep such as MK1, 3D MK, MK4, or MKT just yet.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Killer instinct lol whenever I stay we never play it and when I leave it's always played lol. :(

I wasn't planning on going because I'm going to a concert on the 22 of February. now that Phil is going, I might have to drive to Philly at midnight and get there by 6 am :x decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

BigE

Elder God
Just got some news from the holiday inn, there will be another event going on in the area the same weekend as wb7 and their rooms are selling out fast. Please book your rooms now. ASAP.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I'm probably going to this now instead of other stuff so I can save for Evo. Anyone have room at the hotel?

Can we make it a rule that Big-E makes the brackets for this event?
The controversies happened because we had players make the brackets. The previous NEC/WB I believe Phil ran that stuff and we had no issues. I think we can trust him to make things fair.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
The controversies happened because we had players make the brackets. The previous NEC/WB I believe Phil ran that stuff and we had no issues. I think we can trust him to make things fair.
But it should be the tournament organizers job to organize the tournament. I have faith in Phil of course but I just don't think the responsibilities of bracket making should fall onto anyone but the person throwing the event.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
But it should be the tournament organizers job to organize the tournament. I have faith in Phil of course but I just don't think the responsibilities of bracket making should fall onto anyone but the person throwing the event.
Well guys like Phil and Shock kinda are the TO's here. They pretty much run the MK tournament and set everything up even though Big E is in charge of the whole event.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Well guys like Phil and Shock kinda are the TO's here. They pretty much run the MK tournament and set everything up even though Big E is in charge of the whole event.
Well I'm not going so I don't really give a shit. But I've heard that regardless of Claude/16 bit took the blame for bracket rigging, other people to blame got away with setting things up to favor people/themselves in the bracket that was actually used at NEC..

Warrior
Well I'm not going so I don't really give a shit. But I've heard that regardless of Claude/16 bit took the blame for bracket rigging, other people to blame got away with setting things up to favor people/themselves in the bracket that was actually used at NEC..
I have zero desire to see anymore talk about the cluster that was MK at NEC. It's over and done with.

The choices on who makes the brackets are clearly defined. It will either be me or me and Shock OR Big E will just tell me to hit the Randomize button and you'll get a Grand Finals consisting of people who hold the controller upside down.

I'm not sure how many more times I have to continue to tell people that I have zero vested interest in who wins any tournament. I'm not getting the prize money, I'm not getting the glory, I'm not getting ANYTHING.

What I AM getting is a headache from having to say this OVER AND OVER again.

I do not go home and diddle myself because one of my friends/teammates/statemates, etc. won a tournament.

I don't know why anyone thinks that I care who wins a tournament.

There is a mindset that goes with being an official.

You have to have thick skin because nothing you're going to do is right. It's you vs. EVERYONE in the tournament... no matter what, you're the enemy. Do your job right, and it's "Yeah, he did was he was supposed to"... screw up an it's "Kill his children!"

Because of this, you learn to just stop caring about who wins and who loses.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
So I'm probably going to this now instead of other stuff so I can save for Evo. Anyone have room at the hotel?
I'm still looking for a room myself. I talked to Lulzlou about rooming with him and another player and if i remember correctly we were looking for 1 or 2 more people.

Lulzlou

Kombatant
I'm still looking for a room myself. I talked to Lulzlou about rooming with him and another player and if i remember correctly we were looking for 1 or 2 more people.
He knows astronout so its all goodie.
I'm meeting up with him either wednesday or this weekend for Operation wolf.
We can start a group convo if you want
astronout

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Lulzlou I'm in. We'll have to get it fast though because Big E says they're selling out pretty soon

Cibernetico

Kombatant
If I make it, it'll only be for MK2 and UMK3 casuals.

BTW, something I've always wondered but never had the chance to ask. If I go there just to play non main stage fighters like MK2, do I have to buy the spectator pass or the competitors pass?

Warrior
If I make it, it'll only be for MK2 and UMK3 casuals.

BTW, something I've always wondered but never had the chance to ask. If I go there just to play non main stage fighters like MK2, do I have to buy the spectator pass or the competitors pass?
Competitor pass.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
It would be interesting if you guys tried a randomized bracket. I predict the same top players would still make it to the end of the bracket.

BigE

Elder God
Here is what's left per night at the holiday inn for winter brawl 7:

Friday feb 22nd---34 rooms
Sat 23rd--34
Sunday 24th---29

So please hurry up and book your rooms.

BigE

Elder God

296 rooms gone so far, please hurry up and book your room.

glad to have Namco and madcatz back on board again.