What's new

Big Change to a Known Character

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I wonder if the "known character" part refers to a character that has actually been confirmed? (aka "known") Like not someone like Cassie or Kung Lao who we've seen but wasn't in the reveal roster, hasn't had a trailer, a reveal, or a kast yet.

That would leave Kano, D'Vorah, and Shao Kahn

as they are technically the only officially confirmed characters minus those shown in this image:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Jacqui was supposed to have been more of a classic kickboxer with tech to enhance that style (that was their initial pitch to us iirc) and I think they should incorporate more of that better. I would like to see Cassie as more of an acrobatic kick/grappler type (as I've said in other posts) building off of her Brawler variation and taking her in the direction of a Cammy/Blue Mary type character enhanced with green energy. It would still be true to the core idea of mixing Cage and Sonya but still help her be her own character. Hollywood felt like Cassie as Dad, Spec Ops was Cassie as Mom, and Brawler was the most "true" Cassie at least to me. So having acrobatic command grabs and flashy kicks would seem like the best evolution of that especially after seeing what Johnny and Sonya are capable of and what variant moves they have/what they are seemingly missing that might be part of Cassie. Having a couple green lantern-esqe abilities would be kind of cool but I feel like that might end up making her play like Ermac or what Takeda could evolve into by combing Kenshi's psychic projections and Scorpion's ninja trick magic (if Takeda even becomes playable in main roster or DLC).

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Honestly from the leak list, the only character I'd put my money on is Jacqui.

I've been saying it a while now! Chop off Jacqui's legs and give her robotic kangaroo legs for character development!!!

CHOP HER F**KING LEGS OFF!!!!

I really like you, Circ.

Also, I echo the vote for Jacqui: Redux.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Talking about leakers, there has been someone on the gamefaq forum who claimed to have a lot of insider information. Among other things, he said that Frost would be getting a complete makeover and basically be a new character.

Of course there's a good chance that that's just made up BS to get publicity, but maybe other confirmations make this more believable at some point.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Talking about leakers, there has been someone on the gamefaq forum who claimed to have a lot of insider information. Among other things, he said that Frost would be getting a complete makeover and basically be a new character.

Of course there's a good chance that that's just made up BS to get publicity, but maybe other confirmations make this more believable at some point.
People have been saying that for literally years now. Since before MKX. "Frost is gonna be an ice golem." It would not at all surprise me if NRS decided to revamp the shit out of her, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Things I would change on the characters still to come.

Kano: More laser-based moves, more background story, awesome variations with his iron-head-thing, mechanical constructs in his moves, like mechanical spiders which explode and hacking devices or whatever.

Frost: I like her the way she was, but I wouldn't mind the ice shower back on her, also have her being obsessed with herself, creating ice clones and watching them like Vega from Street Fighter style, MK needs such a character which is evil, not good like JC, narcissists are dangerous and not gentle or funny.

Kotal Kahn is pretty perfect already in every way, I would like some more magical fatalities on him, and his attitude from the comics, not the one from MKX.

Erron Black, his appearance is perfect, his story could use a lot of work.

D'Vorah, more insects in her fatalities, more insects in her moves. A cool fatality would be like transforming her into a giant parasite wasp-like horror. Also summoning swarms of wasp-like creatures from those horrid holes in her shoulders.

Kung Lao, I really don't know, if they hate Fujin so much, give Kung Lao more wind-based moves I guess, so we at least have a wind-based character.

Liu Kang, this one could be awesome, with some moves in which he summons the dragon spirit, or quickly transforms into a dragon to attack, or summon a dragon spirit, anything with a dragon in his basic moves would be new to me, he only uses the dragon in his fatalities.

Rain, really wish they focus more on his vanity and weather-based moves, not only the water side of his powers.

Smoke, him becoming enenra and turning into a smoke demon in some variations maybe?

Kung Jin, well maybe give him the eyes and aim of an eagle, turning him into the bullseye from MK. Also, that bow-staff is really ugly, give him a sword-like bow instead.

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I mean gameplay wise, not necessarily a graphical change lol.
First of all I don't even see how they could give him a big change even if they wanted to. He was a footsies-oriented character with elements of grappler and zoner in MKX. This is a game that focuses on footsies. And NRS does a 180 on Kano and makes him the most combo-heavy character in the game? Iunno fam.

And second I don't think they're just talking about gameplay. These Kombat Kasts are meant for casuals as much, if not more, as for competitive players. Casuals know fuck all about gameplay.

Cassie Cyrus

Casuals only care about the guest characters and Scorpion, so if they do, they can should just end the Kombat Kasts all together and just make one last one for the casuals, about the moveset of Scorpion and about the DLC guests lol

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Best way to fix Jacqui: Have her on screen just like the Chameleon in Baraka's intro and then Shao Kahn crushes her with his Hammer and say "your Welcome" since I believe that the Rock is the surprise face as Shao Kahn.
YEEEEEEEEEEEAH BABY I LIKE IT

Honestly from the leak list, the only character I'd put my money on is Jacqui.

I've been saying it a while now! Chop off Jacqui's legs and give her robotic kangaroo legs for character development!!!

CHOP HER F**KING LEGS OFF!!!!

Good idea too. But i have better idea - cut her legs for robotic kengooroo robotic legs, cut her arms for father Jax's robotic arms, cut her head for cyrax and sector two heads and that will be good redesign

SinkFla

Noob
First of all I don't even see how they could give him a big change even if they wanted to. He was a footsies-oriented character with elements of grappler and zoner in MKX. This is a game that focuses on footsies. And NRS does a 180 on Kano and makes him the most combo-heavy character in the game? Iunno fam.

And second I don't think they're just talking about gameplay. These Kombat Kasts are meant for casuals as much, if not more, as for competitive players. Casuals know fuck all about gameplay.
I'm not saying he's going to be combo heavy. I just predict he's gonna have some shit you wouldn't expect him to have.

Cassie Cyrus

Wouldn't it be fun if a couple of fatalities would be characters turning into animals? And for the fun of it, they called them Animalities instead of fatalities, just for nostalgic sake?

Liu Kang = Dragon
D'Vorah = Parasite Wasp
Shang Tsung = Giant Cobra
Nightwolf = Wolf or another mammalian predator

Giving every character an animality is just boring, but some just make sense, and they will still be just fatalities, but for fun they called them different much like the Johnny cage humor fatality.

And yes, these four characters would still only have TWO fatalities, just one is called an Animality for fun's sake.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Things I would change on the characters still to come.

Kano: More laser-based moves, more background story, awesome variations with his iron-head-thing, mechanical constructs in his moves, like mechanical spiders which explode and hacking devices or whatever.

Frost: I like her the way she was, but I wouldn't mind the ice shower back on her, also have her being obsessed with herself, creating ice clones and watching them like Vega from Street Fighter style, MK needs such a character which is evil, not good like JC, narcissists are dangerous and not gentle or funny.

Kotal Kahn is pretty perfect already in every way, I would like some more magical fatalities on him, and his attitude from the comics, not the one from MKX.

Erron Black, his appearance is perfect, his story could use a lot of work.

D'Vorah, more insects in her fatalities, more insects in her moves. A cool fatality would be like transforming her into a giant parasite wasp-like horror. Also summoning swarms of wasp-like creatures from those horrid holes in her shoulders.

Kung Lao, I really don't know, if they hate Fujin so much, give Kung Lao more wind-based moves I guess, so we at least have a wind-based character.

Liu Kang, this one could be awesome, with some moves in which he summons the dragon spirit, or quickly transforms into a dragon to attack, or summon a dragon spirit, anything with a dragon in his basic moves would be new to me, he only uses the dragon in his fatalities.

Rain, really wish they focus more on his vanity and weather-based moves, not only the water side of his powers.

Smoke, him becoming enenra and turning into a smoke demon in some variations maybe?

Kung Jin, well maybe give him the eyes and aim of an eagle, turning him into the bullseye from MK. Also, that bow-staff is really ugly, give him a sword-like bow instead.
I'd be cool with most of this minus the part about Kano. I want to see more Command Grabs and Knifeplay from him not giving him gimmicky traps and gadgets like Sonya. Granted I will give you that that would definitely be another logical direction to take the character as he has always been a vicious cut throat mercenary/arms dealer.

Edit: Just to clarify I'm definitely not against the more cool powers being used part. I would just prefer Kano be a more visceral and brutal physical character with his grapples, ball attacks, and lots and lots of knives, lol. Your ideas for him I would love for more of a new cyborg character like that Kollector rumor going around or for some variation of Triborg.

Last edited:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
My guess is there are three likely candidates:

Jacqui: I can't imagine NRS was so out of the loop that they didn't realize she was one of the most disliked newcomers from MKX. If someone on the staff was dead set on having her return, I imagine she might get a big overhaul

Frost: Similar to Jacqui, when the steam leak was revealed many people were up in arms about "female Sub-Zero." If NRS predicted this, I can see them changing her up a lot to mitigate the people's anger. I hope this one isn't it because I like Frost the way she already is.

D'vorah: D'vorah is an interesting one because there's been a lot of hype over how over-the-top and gross her fatalities are, and the team seems really proud of her. Additionally, she has a special steam trophy (if the leak is to be believed) that has something to do with "bug." I could see her getting a big redesign as a transforming character or something totally different from MKX.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think the Kombat Kids played fine. They don't need a gameplay overhaul, just better aesthetic designs and personalities.
Would be hard to do for Cassie since all her combos relied on running. Unless her dash is really quick then I wouldn't mind her being similar.