What's new

Best/Worst Armor Breaking Move in the Game?

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Can we talk about Kanos? his retreating knife swipe??? I mean maybe they waste their breakaway but like you lose so much damage cause all you can do is b1 kano ball or knife toss to finish the combo since he moves back.

Wack.
I like your downplay. It seems like most of us in the kano discord like it. It maybe doesn't help ripper much, but you still get a restand by itself and if canceled into knife toss you get a lot of plus frames or you can just do kanoball to cash out the max damage you can get. It seems like the other two variations benefits more from it, but I dunno as my main variation is ripper.

Edit: I wanted to add that I'm iffy on it like you, but I also haven't really explored it much.

Wigy

There it is...
What is good about Kung Lao's? He is my main but I'm still playing the new characters and haven't gotten back to him yet.
you can do jk divekick mb off spin and which lands rollout or no rollout.
Does like 450 off his usual launches it they rollout

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Ill also say, the scaling improvements also make catching breakaway with Fatal Blow SIGNIFICANTLY more rewarding. Im maining Shaman Nightwolf and its the only Armor Break I get to use, but its juicy.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Ill also say, the scaling improvements also make catching breakaway with Fatal Blow SIGNIFICANTLY more rewarding. Im maining Shaman Nightwolf and its the only Armor Break I get to use, but its juicy.
Yea man it’s nuts. Everyone do like 50% or more just from a d2KB into FB if they breakaway

you can do jk divekick mb off spin and which lands rollout or no rollout.
Does like 450 off his usual launches it they rollout
You can breakaway from enhanced spin before Kung Lao is done spinning. I tried it and the only string that this worked with is f1,3. My initial opinion of Kung Lao’s armor break was that it was useless and after having now tried it, I still think it is mostly useless.
Edit: I misread your comment. Off of normal spin you can do this but only if they delay breakaway. If they breakaway as soon as possible there isn’t enough time.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
You can breakaway from enhanced spin before Kung Lao is done spinning. I tried it and the only string that this worked with is f1,3. My initial opinion of Kung Lao’s armor break was that it was useless and after having now tried it, I still think it is mostly useless.
f13 is one of his best combo starters so i mean its not all bad

also can do off d2 kb no?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I don't see the logic behind some armor breakers being a normal and others are a special, some in which aren't even universal. What the fuck is the point?
Exactly, like how am I suppose to react accordingly? I guess? If they don’t break then I loose a combo. It’s weird.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I don't get this change at all.
Why is it that there are characters who get great combo damage, who can also cash out with their armor breakers anyways if you don't breakaway, but if you do you just yeet'd into a new dimension. It's like you're just not allowed to breakaway against them anymore.

Wigy

There it is...
They could just have made cages his nutpunch. It has a KB on it thats useless so it would be a good one to just get for armour breaking.

Wigy

There it is...
D2 kB works with breakaway set to fast for 500 damage. I still don’t think it’s amazing but that is nice.
also honestly i think a lot of the time people dont manage to react on the first few hits of his mb spin. If they dont then you know you have that damage in the bag.

its decent anyway and has a high damage KB.

could be cage... gets the same damage as a d2 if he spends a bar.

also honestly i think a lot of the time people dont manage to react on the first few hits of his mb spin. If they dont then you know you have that damage in the bag.

its decent anyway and has a high damage KB.

could be cage... gets the same damage as a d2 if he spends a bar.
That‘s true enough but I’ve learned when it comes to breakaway, “When in doubt mash it out.”

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
My Armor Break Tier List (not ordered). S being part of main combos and forces your opponent to essentially never breakaway, and C is you're better using D2.

S (no order):
Erron, Geras, Jade, Kabal, Shao Kahn, Kano, Kung Lao, Kotal

A:
Skarlet, Kitana, Kollector, Cetrion, Noob, Baraka, Raiden, Sheeva, Cassie, Spawn,

B:
D'vorah, Jacqui, Frost, Jax, Fujin, Nightwolf, Sindel, Shang, Terminator, Joker

C:
Sonya, Johnny, Robocop. Scorpion, Sub Zero, Liu Kang

Last edited:

mrapchem

Noob
Idk about Johnny but I’ve seen quite a few Sub players land his. I have Sonya’s as the worse because it doesn’t lead into a KB or continue a combo. It’s just...done. Does less damage than a d2 lol. At least Sub’s leads into a KB
You're not wrong about Sonya. But about Sub-Zero, even after using his Rising Ice - the highest that Sub can launch his opponent - he is very lucky if he can connect his armor breaker. At least Sonya can always get hers, even if it does less damage than an uppercut. Sub cannot.

But the worst break has to go to Johnny Cage. It does less damage than uppercut, tough to even connect with it and even if it does, it has no KB nor does it combo again. It's like NRS purposely decides that JC must have the most useless meta tools of the cast.

zHawken

Would you settle for me sausage?
Noob's is pretty trash. Unless they're mashing breakaway they can just react to your juggle and break the actual combo on reaction

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Best: Shao Kahn's. Scum grab and skewered are sooooooo satisfying to break armour with. I can feel the panic sinking in my opponents through my hitbox.

Worst: RoboCop and Sonya. Lol to Sonya.

I think some characters don't need a good one. I like they being different, some less useful, some variation specific...
Also, you can break all armor, right?
Doesn't it work against u3 wake up, fb, etc? So maybe none are completely useless...

Kollector (comboable) and Sheeva (really easy to use) are very good...

Espio

Kokomo
Geras and Jade have pretty good ones,

Jade being able to get 40% for people breaking away is really good. Shadow kick is fast and advancing and works good off of a lot of her juggles.

I think they did the mechanic right. Imagine giving Marauder Baraka a universal one like Jade's universal one....that would be wild as hell lol.