What's new

Best NRS game of the Decade?

Which is the best NRS game of the decade?

• MK9

Votes: 94 42.7%
  • Injustice:Gods Among Us

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • MKX

Votes: 36 16.4%
  • Injustice 2

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • MK 11

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Undecided too close to call for me

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters
MK9 is their best and most complete game. Best environments, roster, modes and gameplay. Dash cancles, stage fatality’s, secret moves, input codes before matches, mobility, the fun potential for creating many combo’s.

The story reboot was the only flaw next to some bugs, op chars. and poor netcode. MK9 is legendary and NRS could re-releasing the game with minor patches online again.

NRS would make so many fans happy if they do while they make another profit on it.

nah y'all can't be bitching about oooooh muh balance with mk9. how many of y'all were seriously playing it at high level that you genuinely had to be afraid of cyrax or kabal? mk11 not winning over mk9 and even though mkx is a personal favorite of mine it still doesn't beat mk9. at least mk9 had mostly competent character gameplay designs and it actually had characters.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I chose MK11.

There is no denying the impact MK9 had and what it means for the franchise. After Midway went bankrupt, a lot of us thought that was the end of Mortal Kombat, and MK9 was the strong comeback of the franchise and we entered a new era of modern MK games that I am all grateful for and had tons of fun with!

However, as much as people are tearing down at MK11, I personally think it is the better game in almost all aspects. Graphics, gameplay, content, story, designs... No, MK11 is not perfect, and there are things MK9 has that would be nice to be kept in MK11, but as an overall product, I just prefer MK11.

MK9 as what it represents is by far greater than any of the games. But as a product, I choose MK11.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Injustice 2 is my favorite for how it plays. MK9 or MK11 probably have the best overall package in terms of the amount of quality content. On the side, MK9 has a better story mode, tag, and the challenge tower is badass. MK11 has a cooler krypt though.

1. MK11
  2. Injustice 2
  3. MKXL
  4. MK9
  5. Injustice 1
MK11 but it's a veeeeeery close tie with Injustice 2.

Characters are more fun to play in Injustice 2 but too many flowchart characters are too good.

Injustice 1 is the worst for me. I think Injustice 1 is the only NRS game that I liked less than an NRS game that came before it due to how awful movement was in that game, and having netcode like MK9 which makes it unplayable to today's standards.

MKX over MK9 just because the netcode makes MK9 unplayable. It doesn't matter to me how good the gameplay is if I can't play the game.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I'm so sick of seeing the "rose tinted glasses" shit when people say they love MK9.

Put that shit in front of me and I'm playing it and HAVING FUN, unlike the absolute borefest that is MK11. How is it always rose tinted glasses when people just honestly like it more? I don't give two shits about it being broken. I'm not going to EVO or getting sponsored ever. I play for fun and the game was fun as hell.

I'd personally put MK11 dead last as far as this decade of NRS titles go.
This is all fine if you don't play the game competitively. For shit's and giggles, MK9 is an absolute blast with all that fan service. I really liked MKD back in the day, but it was even more broken than MK9 by far. Today, you could not play either of those games competitively at a high level at any scene.

They are both really fun games but I have to be honest with myself regardless of how much I liked them. The "Best NRS" game qualifications for me include but are not limited to:

Visual/Audio presentation
Balanced gameplay
Deep core mechanics
Character selection
Online modes/connection quality
Single player experience
Regular content updates/Support

My choices based on this would be MKXL, Injustice 2 and MK11. MKXL was too run and gun for me but I still really loved playing it..

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This is all fine if you don't play the game competitively. For shit's and giggles, MK9 is an absolute blast with all that fan service. I really liked MKD back in the day, but it was even more broken than MK9 by far. Today, you could not play either of those games competitively at a high level at any scene.

They are both really fun games but I have to be honest with myself regardless of how much I liked them. The "Best NRS" game qualifications for me include but are not limited to:

Visual/Audio presentation
Balanced gameplay
Deep core mechanics
Character selection
Online modes/connection quality
Single player experience
Regular content updates/Support

My choices based on this would be MKXL, Injustice 2 and MK11. MKXL was too run and gun for me but I still really loved playing it..
Overall I definitely think out of all of them MK 9 is the best due to most fun experience and IMO solid gameplay mechanics that work(not talking so much character balance) but gameplay mechanics, MK 11 IMO they do not work well or are very inconsistent like wake ups, rolls getting punished way too easily, Flawless Block timing is ridiculous and hardly ever used as a lot feel it's a waste of meter, throws are wayy too good and I love to throw lol, but when you're ducking animation and still get thrown that's a problem if you ask me. Pokes were better in MK 9, I believe Reo made a whole video explaining why. They just seem too gimmicky in MK 11 and KB's and FB's imo seem broken/unbalanced. That's not to say MK 9 was perfect or anything the Kenshi's, Kabal's, Sonya's and Cyrax's were annoying however I have to admit I feel I did far better in that game with my mids than in MK 11 with my mids and I believe a lot of it has to do with the overall gameplay mechanics of what the game offers me.

That and I think sometimes broken is an overrated term, look at MVC2 very broken, know what I mean? tons of infinites yet competitive and fun. MVC3 and 4 didn't hit as well yet they were patched more like MK X and MK 11. I think MK 9 while doesn't have nearly as many glitches, infinites etc falls in a similar category where it's just alot more fun overall which makes for a better experience to most. Mileena wasn't exactly top tier in MK 9 yet as I recall you and a few others gave me quite a bit of trouble at times no more than Cyrax or Kenshi honestly in that game. Maybe part of it was cause I was much better in that game than MK 11 or as I said earlier I feel MK 9 simply had better gameplay tools to work with universally. I do agree that Injustice imo is rather underrated, I actually would say I2 once patched is just as balanced as MK 11 honestly. Though I think personally I found myself enjoying Injustice GAU more for some reason, but both were fun for sure. MK X I just could not get into at all, wasn't a big fan of the meta at all.

I think in terms of content, all NRS games offer a great amount of that for single player especially and of course story they're by far light years the best. I do miss MK 9 tag mode that was one of the best modes ever imo.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I mean....I would expect mk11 to be dead last place by the way some of you guys describe it.
I don't know about that, I personally think it's a solid, fun game. Just not nearly as much as MK 9 for me at least. But I also enjoyed Injustice a lot too right after MK 9 so for me it would be close with MK 11 and Injustice, MK X I just did not like much played it for about a year then dropped it. The meta was too braindead imo. MK 11 could still improve however and I believe it will, just not a fan of some elements they put into it as I explained above but I still play it. Of course the grind is also another thing that turns some people off which is understandable. I mean I don't mind working for something but when you work hours and hours and hours with little reward it becomes tiresome depending on the mode/gear/skins you want.

Last edited:

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
I only played MK9 casually so I can't speak on it, but I love it. I have the fondest memories of MKX and its life cycle, despite its flaws, but gameplay-wise I think Injustice 2 takes the cake. That game was a blast and I loved the roster.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
I'm so sick of seeing the "rose tinted glasses" shit when people say they love MK9.

Put that shit in front of me and I'm playing it and HAVING FUN, unlike the absolute borefest that is MK11. How is it always rose tinted glasses when people just honestly like it more? I don't give two shits about it being broken. I'm not going to EVO or getting sponsored ever. I play for fun and the game was fun as hell.

I'd personally put MK11 dead last as far as this decade of NRS titles go.
Nah BrO iTs ROSE TINTED GLASSES so your argument is INVALID!
All I need is RNG KRYPT AND THE TOWERS OF TIME GRIND and i'm happy, test your might/luck/challange tower are all dookie in comparison to that sweet sweet premium store and fomo kombat league skins!

Wym you have fun with MK9 combo variety? LmAo more like Unbalanced kombat amirite, now lemme just set up that 35% KB into FB comback mechanic for the win sucka! You're probably just mad cuz there's no fan service in this game :coffee:
ItS rEaLiStic my guy, deal with it!
:REO

ill take my check now nrs, nrs wheres my check dont keep a good shill like me waiting

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
No contest it's MK9 by a W I D E margin, no it wasn't bAlAncEd but who gives a crumb of a fuck when it was absolutely unequivocally FUN! Back when NRS wasn't bowing down to certain cultural trends ;);) or trying to be a bootleg Marvel with their story structure (not that it was ever A1 but MK9 def > MK11 in terms of writing) where the characters weren't over designed, the roster was filled with ACTUAL fan favorites and the stages and soundtrack were something to be remembered, classic costumes, stage fatalities, babalities, MODES BEYOND SOME CHANGING TOWERS, need I go on? I mean can anyone of you even name a soundtrack from MK11 off by heart? Easier still can you even remember one that isn't directly from the trailer? Probably not.
Anyone who doesn't agree is fine too but the loads of fans on every website where MK has a base in, where people are crying for an MK9 remaster right before they ask to settle for an MK11 overhaul, that should at least get some of you mooks to understand there's something to that game that the others just don't have going for them, and I say that as someone who loved X almost as much as 9, but 11 feels off in more ways than one and clearly:u it's not as unpopular of an opinion as certain people would like you believe it is.

- Here's an edit because I forgot that MK11 doesn't even have bios for their characters, "oH bUt iTS oN tHe WeBsiTe JusT loOK ThErE." Yeah cause that's perfectly logical, not wanting a piece of your game in your game. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I had a hard time adjusting to IJ2, but I think that was the best designed game. Rushdown had its place, zoning had its place, grappling had its place. The balancing was a little hit or miss, most notably with how OP Deadshot was and how garbage he became. It was also a game with a much more uncertain tournament outcome most of the time. These days it's either Ninjakilla or Sonic taking the majors almost back to back. In IJ2. we had Whiteboi doing work, Tweedy doing work, Dragon taking Evo, BioHazard taking a major. Let alone the ELeague finals where ForeverKing double eliminated SonicFox in dominant fashion.

I just feel Injustice 2 had a meta which was competitively viable for most playstyles. Characters didn't necessarily need long normals to be effective. I've been around since MK9, and whenever I think back on hype NRS moments - Injustice 2 is what I tend to associate them with

Injustice 2 for me, that game improved so much from the it's first iteration, and kept the legacy aspects. Only issue was some of the missing cast (Lex Luther, Grundy...RIP). Most importantly, I still play it daily unlike some players who say they like the previous iteration of a game but never play it or stream it...yes I'm throwing shade. #CYBORGANG

MK9 is a close second, love the hell out of that game despite how little I knew about fighting games.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
1. Injustice cause ares is one my all time favorite characters to play with.
2.mk9 first fightingame i went to locals for and loved the combos.
3. Mk11
4.Mkx

Also played tekken and ki would love to get back into it but im slacking.