What's new

Best monitors, power-line adapters, etc, for Fighting Games? Help me fix my set-up.

Gamer68

Fujin!
The set-up I've been using is extremely outdated and isn't optimal for playing fighting games online which sucks considering I'm a huge fan of them. For starters, my monitor is a VGA-only which means I've had to use a VGA-to-HDMI adapter to be able to play my PS4, that is until it broke. It would turn on and you could hear it if you plugged in headphones to the DualShock 4, which means either the HDMI or GPU was damaged. I'm not sure which one it was and I ended up not being able to get it fixed, but I'm worried part of the reason why it broke is because something to do with the adapter -- the issues I had starting happening not to long after I started using it. While it's unlikely, I'm not completely sure, and now with a new PS4 I'm worried about plugging it up to my old monitor so I've had to play it elsewhere.

Like I said, my set-up is outdated. This isn't even the only issue I have, though. Here's the rest:
  • Again, my monitor is VGA-only so even with an HDMI adapter it can only receive visuals but NOT audio. Because of the PS4's mediocre Bluetooth (in my experience), I've had to use headphones plugged up into the DS4 controller OR a speaker wired into the DS4 controller.
  • The refresh rate probably isn't very good. I can't really find any info on it, but it's most likely not a 1ms monitor or anything like that because I'm pretty sure it was meant for offices, casual desktops, etc, and not really for gaming (or at least competitive gaming).
  • Aside from my monitor, I haven't been able to use an Ethernet Cable. Basically, how my home is set-up, I can't really run a cable through it. The router is in one room, my room is in another, we would need a giant cable and run it everywhere to get it where I want it and that just doesn't seem to be on the table as an option. Powerline Adapters are a maybe but I have no idea which ones are best for gaming.
  • I don't have a ton of money so upgrades will have to come here and there through out 2019. I can't really afford expensive $250+ monitors, $70+ powerline adapters, etc. I mainly just want a monitor that is technically HD, has an HDMI port, and a good response time. Doesn't need to be 140hz or whatever, 60hz is completely fine. The powerline adapter just needs to be good with ping, I don't care if it has meh download speeds. I'm not looking for an enthusiast gaming set-up meant for 4K PC gaming or anything like that, just something good for console fighting games while also being acceptable for a low-mid tier PC.
It sucks being a fan of fighting games and being in a position like this. It's just games so it's not that big of a deal, but gaming is my main hobby and I'm passionate about fighting games in particular. I spend a lot of time on fan sites, practicing in-game, but in the end the fun gets sucked out of it because of my set-up.

I've had people literally tell me that I'm selfish because my connection and that I "ruin it for others", even though I make sure to restrict myself to casual matches only (no ranked). I'm not lying, apparently I'm selfish and shouldn't be able to play even casual matches. Not to mention this weird narrative going around that's basically saying unless you do something for the FGC you don't matter, but that is a different topic.

I know this seems kinda like a rant and really it is. I'm tired of this shitty set-up, so even if it ends up pricey, hopefully in the long run it will be worth it. Any suggests about how I should approach this is welcome.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Based on your budget I would suggest looking for a good monitor still, but on Ebay or pre-owned so that you can get it for less than full price. Likewise for the powerline adapter.

I've been happy with every ASUS I've ever owned (and right now I have a MX295H), and I wouldn't suggest skimping on monitor quality as it's something that will last you for years. If you say specifically how high you're willing to go, it'd make it easier to find something.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Based on your budget I would suggest looking for a good monitor still, but on Ebay or pre-owned so that you can get it for less than full price. Likewise for the powerline adapter.

I've been happy with every ASUS I've ever owned (and right now I have a MX295H), and I wouldn't suggest skimping on monitor quality as it's something that will last you for years. If you say specifically how high you're willing to go, it'd make it easier to find something.
Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm willing to spend around $100 on a monitor, maybe a little more. Definitely under $200 though.

I'm willing to spend up to $50 for a powerline adapter.

I will try to keep my eye on eBay listings, sales, or any other general discounts. However, I'm not sure when I'll be able to upgrade so I won't be able to jump on any recent deals that are about to be ending.

E

Eldriken

Power-line adapters aren't always a solution. Sometimes they can make it even worse. It all depends on the wiring in your house.

Definitely a YMMV purchase.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
You don't need a 144Hz monitor, you won't be going above 60fps on console. This might be what you're looking for @ $169.99 ($200 for adjustable height).
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Zowie-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01H5KKRLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546122569&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+rl2455hm
The 144Hz is for games outside of the FGs. It's mostly for FPS and such. You don't need that much. The 60Hz is enough for them.

@Gamer68

The best EVO-like monitors are BenQ and Asus. I suggest you look at displaylag.com to find the BenQ and Asus models that are 9 to 10 ms input lag to choose the best monitor for you for the right price.

I suggest that you move the modem to your room, so that you can get a small ethernet cable (2m max) between your modem and the PS4/PC. You'd, of course, need to rework your whole house setup. And your shitty connection is most likely from your crappy modem. You gotta ask the technician to suggest you a better modem/connection, or get a fiber to end your drama life.

And you might want to upgrade your PC, but you'd better tell us your PC setup, if you got MKX at PC, otherwise if you got it at PS4, skip this step.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Curious if anyone else agrees, but I used to think you needed to buy a gaming monitor because big screen TVs have too much input delay. However,, I recently got a 70 inch Sony Bravia and it honestly does not seem that there is any more input delay than the 24 inch Benq monitor I used before that. So now I just play MK on the 70 inch.

Note - my old samsung 60 inch TV had bad input delay, but this Sony one does not, perhaps the fact that they also make gaming systems has something to do with that

Tanno

Curious if anyone else agrees, but I used to think you needed to buy a gaming monitor because big screen TVs have too much input delay. However,, I recently got a 70 inch Sony Bravia and it honestly does not seem that there is any more input delay than the 24 inch Benq monitor I used before that. So now I just play MK on the 70 inch.

Note - my old samsung 60 inch TV had bad input delay, but this Sony one does not, perhaps the fact that they also make gaming systems has something to do with that
Depends of the model. I got a Samsung 55" TV and it's close to the EVO-like monitor. It got 13ms in game mode. I had to do a thorough investigation as to which TV was in the Greek market according to the displaylag.com. Most of the models around the TV market are shitty and not worth a while, so you need to carefully choose one. I'd suggest that to @Gamer68 , as well.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

When you ask a bunch of enthusiasts what they think you need, it will generally involve them ignoring half of what you said, and a lot of them telling you what they already bought that everyday people never would.

That BenQ is probably not a bad idea and seems very reasonably priced, but it's also almost twice what the OP said he wanted to spend. Near zero lag is a great thing to shoot for, but the reality is most people don't need to be top 8 serious about shaving their frames quite that far down.

You can find nice monitors for less that generally will give you way less lag than a TV from a couple of years ago. On my PC I play on a $100 ACER I bought awhile back and I generally can't tell if there meaningful difference for me between it and the $250 BenQ I rarely use sitting in the living room. I made efforts around my screen selections, and I can tell a difference at a certain point, but there is also a point where starts to be beyond me to tell apart. I'm not sure you have to make any apologies if you have something under 30ms.

I consistently play on 4 different screens, and I don't feel like I have to adjust my timings when playing the same games across screens. I've been mindful of what I buy, but not everything is elite level stuff. My TV is the slowest, and I can sure tell if it's not in game mode, but a lot of the time I just use my TV over the BenQ I have sitting right next to it, largely because I was very careful about what TV I bought so I could play on it. I want to say it is runs mid 20's ms in game mode, but I'm not sure about that. Whatever it is, I probably wouldn't recommend much slower to anyone that plays a lot, but it's generally just more comfortable to play on the bigger screen than the 27" monitor.

Most of what I read says that TV makers have made real, genuine effort in the last 2-3 years to make display lag a priority (even if they won't add it to a spec sheet).

My advice for the OP would be to find a well rated monitor in his price range, and dig all over the internet to make sure it has a sensible level of lag for a budget buy. For TV's it would still be a little more difficult, but monitors tend to be pretty reasonable.

Power-line adapters aren't always a solution. Sometimes they can make it even worse. It all depends on the wiring in your house.

I thought they sounded like impossible magic boxes of snake oil, but I do know someone that bought them for his place. It made a pretty dramatic difference for him, which surprised me. I can well imagine results being conditional, but I'd be open to trying it if the world kept telling me I should be banned from the internet.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

When you ask a bunch of enthusiasts what they think you need, it will generally involve them ignoring half of what you said, and a lot of them telling you what they already bought that everyday people never would.

That BenQ is probably not a bad idea and seems very reasonably priced, but it's also almost twice what the OP said he wanted to spend. Near zero lag is a great thing to shoot for, but the reality is most people don't need to be top 8 serious about shaving their frames quite that far down.

You can find nice monitors for less that generally will give you way less lag than a TV from a couple of years ago. On my PC I play on a $100 ACER I bought awhile back and I generally can't tell if there meaningful difference for me between it and the $250 BenQ I rarely use sitting in the living room. I made efforts around my screen selections, and I can tell a difference at a certain point, but there is also a point where starts to be beyond me to tell apart. I'm not sure you have to make any apologies if you have something under 30ms.

I consistently play on 4 different screens, and I don't feel like I have to adjust my timings when playing the same games across screens. I've been mindful of what I buy, but not everything is elite level stuff. My TV is the slowest, and I can sure tell if it's not in game mode, but a lot of the time I just use my TV over the BenQ I have sitting right next to it, largely because I was very careful about what TV I bought so I could play on it. I want to say it is runs mid 20's ms in game mode, but I'm not sure about that. Whatever it is, I probably wouldn't recommend much slower to anyone that plays a lot, but it's generally just more comfortable to play on the bigger screen than the 27" monitor.

Most of what I read says that TV makers have made real, genuine effort in the last 2-3 years to make display lag a priority (even if they won't add it to a spec sheet).

My advice for the OP would be to find a well rated monitor in his price range, and dig all over the internet to make sure it has a sensible level of lag for a budget buy. For TV's it would still be a little more difficult, but monitors tend to be pretty reasonable.

I thought they sounded like impossible magic boxes of snake oil, but I do know someone that bought them for his place. It made a pretty dramatic difference for him, which surprised me. I can well imagine results being conditional, but I'd be open to trying it if the world kept telling me I should be banned from the internet.
Oh, I agree. I was just letting him know just in case the results weren't what he was expecting. I got one and got sub-56k speeds. It was absolutely mind blowing.

skater11

The saltiest
I can vouch on powerline adapters, like someone said, as long as your "wiring" in your house is good. I own and currently using a TP-link powerline adapter. Works flawlessly

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Depends of the model. I got a Samsung 55" TV and it's close to the EVO-like monitor. It got 13ms in game mode. I had to do a thorough investigation as to which TV was in the Greek market according to the displaylag.com. Most of the models around the TV market are shitty and not worth a while, so you need to carefully choose one. I'd suggest that to @Gamer68 , as well.
Hey, could you state what model you got your hands on? I will be replacing my old 50" Samsung plasma and had hard time finding something decent, or rather strongly hesitating.

13ms? Displaylag,com it and let me know if it’s true

AbeW

Noob
it should literally take you a damn hour to crawl up in your attic and run some ethernet cables, cut a coupla slots in your drywall and install ethernet ports. In fact, you could have done it in the time it took you to write your tearful post (Yes, I wish i could cry with you too....boo hoo).

Displaylag database has some cheap options. Forget any bells and whistles. All you need to worry about is the GTG/input lag combination. Note, it does not list all the cheap models. If you want your monitor to have tested data, here's a 5ms GTG, 11ms input lag ASUS for a 109 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00413PHDM/?creativeASIN=B00413PHDM&linkCode=w61&imprToken=uyKI23AMqmYeSFnXQjF4VA&slotNum=94&tag=dislag-20

But, take a leap of faith and get one of these ASUS models with the 1ms GTG (though they are not listed on the database for input lag). But, they should be gauranteed to have a input lag of 10ms or under for a 110 bucks.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236678&Description=1ms monitor&cm_re=1ms_monitor-_-24-236-678-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011095&Description=1ms monitor&cm_re=1ms_monitor-_-24-011-095-_-Product

If you're a pad user, i can't say much because i abandoned those a while ago (What Sony giveth is what you get). But, if you use fightsticks or stickless arcade sticks, throw a Brook board in it and that's the lowest lag setup you're gonna have. Many of your opponents tonight are gonna be on high lag tvs with a Hori rap 4 after taking a few vodka shots (degraded reflexes). But, you've got the advantage now for real cheap and havn't gotten drunk yet! Go fk em up tiger! you've got this!

Last edited:

Gamer68

Fujin!
Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I'll keep an eye on on any deals on the monitors that were linked.

You don't need a 144Hz monitor, you won't be going above 60fps on console. This might be what you're looking for @ $169.99 ($200 for adjustable height).
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Zowie-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01H5KKRLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546122569&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+rl2455hm
$170 is still kinda pricey, but I understand that I shouldn't get something to cheap because the quality will be bad. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

I can vouch on powerline adapters, like someone said, as long as your "wiring" in your house is good. I own and currently using a TP-link powerline adapter. Works flawlessly
I don't really have a way to know if the wiring it good, but maybe I'll pick up some of the cheaper $30-ish powerline adapters to try them first. I will try to get TP-link, thanks!

it should literally take you a damn hour to crawl up in your attic and run some ethernet cables, cut a coupla slots in your drywall and install ethernet ports. In fact, you could have done it in the time it took you to write your tearful post (Yes, I wish i could cry with you too....boo hoo).

Displaylag database has some cheap options. Forget any bells and whistles. All you need to worry about is the GTG/input lag combination. Note, it does not list all the cheap models. If you want your monitor to have tested data, here's a 5ms GTG, 11ms input lag ASUS for a 109 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00413PHDM/?creativeASIN=B00413PHDM&linkCode=w61&imprToken=uyKI23AMqmYeSFnXQjF4VA&slotNum=94&tag=dislag-20

But, take a leap of faith and get one of these ASUS models with the 1ms GTG (though they are not listed on the database for input lag). But, they should be gauranteed to have a input lag of 10ms or under for a 110 bucks.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236678&Description=1ms monitor&cm_re=1ms_monitor-_-24-236-678-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011095&Description=1ms monitor&cm_re=1ms_monitor-_-24-011-095-_-Product

If you're a pad user, i can't say much because i abandoned those a while ago. But, if you use fightsticks or stickless arcade sticks, throw a Brook board in it and that's the lowest lag setup you're gonna have. Many of your opponents tonight are gonna be on high lag tvs on a Hori rap 4 after taking a few vodka shots (degraded reflexes). But, you've got the advantage now for real cheap and havn't gotten drunk yet! Go fk em up tiger! you've got this!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry if my post came off as trying to be sad, I'm more frustrated/slight mad if anything.

I don't have an attic, I can't cut holes in the wall, and due to the nature of the household moving routers/modems is not an option. Powerline adapters are really the only thing I can try in terms of improving my connection, unless there is another method that is similar that I haven't heard about yet.

Gamer68

Fujin!
@Tanno I kinda forgot, but here's my PC specs:
  • GPU: GTX 750Ti SC (2GB VRAM)
  • CPU: AMD A10-6700 APU 3.70Ghz (w/ integrated graphics but I don't use it)
  • RAM: 16GB
I have some fighting games on PC like Mortal Kombat X, DragonBall FighterZ, and Street Fighter V, but I prefer to play fighting games on console.

Tanno

I have some fighting games on PC like Mortal Kombat X, DragonBall FighterZ, and Street Fighter V, but I prefer to play fighting games on console.
If you decide to play in PC again, you should consider some upgrade with your PC, assuming it's compatible with your motherboard. Dunno how to compare the AMD, because I'm used to the Intel models, but I suggest you go for GTX 1070 Ti and above to make the stuff smooth.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Stay on the console coz you would have to upgrade GPU and CPU (your APU isn't even on a level of i3 from Intels last gen) which means you would have to also buy a new motherboard.

Last edited:

AbeW

Noob
Stay on the console coz you would have to upgrade GPU and CPU (your APU isn't even on a level of i3 from Intels last gen) which means you would have to also buy a new motherboard.
Actually, he doesn't need to upgrade his CPU. If he threw in a RX 580 GPU (can be picked up used on Ebay for a 100 bucks), he should be set. He wouldn't have any issues running MK11 and any fighting game out there at 1080p.

We are not talking about Crysis 3 or Metro Lastnight here. He'll be fine without a Ryzen threadripper and a 2080ti.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Actually, he doesn't need to upgrade his CPU. If he threw in a RX 580 GPU (can be picked up used on Ebay for a 100 bucks), he should be set. He wouldn't have any issues running MK11 and any fighting game out there at 1080p.

We are not talking about Crysis 3 or Metro Lastnight here. He'll be fine without a Ryzen threadripper and a 2080ti.
He would be fine with i3 and GTX 1050 Ti no need to go extreme. That being said he would not be fine with A10-6700 in any UE based game. While it doesnt need a strong CPU by todays standard it does req a decent 4 core one (like last gen i3 and while this APU has 4 cores its not even close to that i3 in games) to maintain stable 60 at maxed 1080p.

Also adding mid ranked GPU by todays standard (RX 580) to a weak, 6 years old APU with DDR3 memory is book like definition of CPU bootlenecking in pretty much any new or 2-3 years old game.

For him that means chaning CPU, motherboard and RAM, which makes no sense to play one game, which he will be able play without puting any additional cash on a console he currently own.

Also Threadripper sucks for gaming. ;)