What's new

Question Best character to fight Scorpion

My son and I play nightly and since getting Scorpion he plays him exclusively.

He knows how to teleport and has begun to string combos. I've DEFINITELY gotten better at blocking. I've gotten so good at blocking that he's developed an excellent overhead attack with the swords.

I've been trying Superman but i'm basically at a 1:5 win loss ratio and once he's warmed up my 11 year old basically destroys me.

Is there a character that is a hard counter to Scorpion? Perhaps a character that has good combos coming out of a low block of Scorpion's teleport?

Flash top 5

If I were to move to Flash, is there a combo that you would recommend coming out of a crouch block? I'll head over to the Flash forum to start to learn some of his BnB, but my two areas that my son gets me is:

Teleport

If he catches me crouch blocking, he performs an overhead attack with the swords which he strings into a combo for 30-ish%.

If I'm not crouch blocking, he's really, really good at getting off a B3 and then I'm getting wrecked for 30+%

Thanks for the tip on Flash, I'll give him a look.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
I have the best luck with Doomsday it seems. If you can predict the teleport, you can time a neutral jump and land his body splash which leads to some easy strings. Using his venom charge can actually be used as a dash and will move you out of range too. Doomsdays character trait helps a lot too, but fighting Scorpion is all about timing...Now go show your son who pays the bills around here!

scorpion breaks this games back to block engine. People say Aquaman and WW stand somewhat of a chance against, I'm not sure how. There's no hard counter to teleport, and the only somewhat kind of soft counter would be to just hold crouch and hope he doesn't hellfire you. =/

Aquaman. Trait removes any threat of combos or vortexes. Standard teleport is blow up by D2 into full combo.

Just learn to block his dumb shit, and youre good to go.

My blocking, especially crouch blocking, has gotten significantly better but my son is still getting in one of two scenarios outlined above:

crouch blocking = he gets me with an overhead attack with swords and into a combo

if he catches me out of crouch blocking = he is good at timing a B3 and then I'm in really big trouble.

I started seeing if I could manipulate distance, but then he started catching me on fire, which really, really irritated me.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
Aquamang because you cannot be juggled if he starts a combo on the ground. Also his water shield is pretty amazing for a get off me with meter burn.

I have the best luck with Doomsday it seems. If you can predict the teleport, you can time a neutral jump and land his body splash which leads to some easy strings. Using his venom charge can actually be used as a dash and will move you out of range too. Doomsdays character trait helps a lot too, but fighting Scorpion is all about timing...Now go show your son who pays the bills around here!

Thanks, I haven't played doomsday (or Flash) yet. Neutral jumps makes me a little nervous because of the stupid rocker D-pad of Xbox. I constantly find myself jumping up and back which drives me bat shit crazy.

but to review: Neutral Jump > body splash to set up for combos.

I'll give it a try, but the first time I see Doomsday jump up and back...i'm gonna lose my sanity.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Teleport

If he catches me crouch blocking, he performs an overhead attack with the swords which he strings into a combo for 30-ish%.
I'm pretty sure you can full combo punish the whiffed teleport.

If he MBs it, just keep blocking and read the next move.

Aquamang because you cannot be juggled if he starts a combo on the ground. Also his water shield is pretty amazing for a get off me with meter burn.

I have played Aquaman for about 10 matches, so I have SOME familiarity with him.

Everyone in the house gets a good laugh at my son destroying me, and I don't mind being the house clown for a while...but I still have a competitive side of me that can't stand the fact I have not been able to reliably counter Scorpion.

I basically choose a character when I see a visually cool combo string. I think this game is a lot of fun to watch. But, I swap characters if/when my son changes characters and starts to amount tons of wins, which is what is happening right now.

Once he's warmed up, he can crush me and often without me getting him off his silver bar. Which of course brings about a lot of trash talk. It's humbling to have an 11 year old own you, but he knows I'm willing to put in the work to overcome his cheesey moves.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
My blocking, especially crouch blocking, has gotten significantly better but my son is still getting in one of two scenarios outlined above:

crouch blocking = he gets me with an overhead attack with swords and into a combo

if he catches me out of crouch blocking = he is good at timing a B3 and then I'm in really big trouble.

I started seeing if I could manipulate distance, but then he started catching me on fire, which really, really irritated me.

You should never be hit by a F3 or B3 from Scorpion. They're slow and easy to see coming. In fact, your boy shouldnt even be trying to use them.

Stand block when Scorpion jumps at you then immediately crouch block and wait for an overhead. Scorp is tough to block, you jsut have to keep practicing.

This might seem difficult at first but you can actually block the overhead high on reaction: if you practice it you can see it Colin out and push back. And Aquaman is definitely you're best bet against him

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I kind of love this thread. "Halp! My son is beating my ass!" Reminds me of that 1st or 2nd season episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes to the arcade to train up and beat Bart.

Awesome that you play with your son man, more dads should.

In answer to your question, Aquaman seems like a solid choice. Easy 30% combos to pick up and learn, his trait will let you slip out of Scorpions combos and vortex set up if you use it right so you'll last longer.

Basically avoid using too many projectiles. Your Superman is probably getting wrecked because you're used to spamming the eye lasers a lot. But standing at the edge of the screen throwing stuff is a free teleport/combo for Scorpian. You could try using a grappler like Grundy. His low mobility will be frustrating, but armoured moves and gigantic (and easy) throw combos will punish/frustrate your son.

Just don't make him cry!

You should never be hit by a F3 or B3 from Scorpion. They're slow and easy to see coming. In fact, your boy shouldnt even be trying to use them.

Stand block when Scorpion jumps at you then immediately crouch block and wait for an overhead. Scorp is tough to block, you jsut have to keep practicing.

Oh I get caught with *A LOT* of B3s...

I'm 20 years removed from console gaming and so I'm shaking off a lot of rust. I hate to continue to harp on it, but I freakin' hate that Xbox 360 rocker d-pad. Miscellaneous jumping just infuriates me. The one that has me nearly throwing that controller across the room is when I'm successful at a crouch block and go to do a B2 move and coming out of a "D"into a B2 seeing my character just jump UP and BACK infuriates me...just typing it makes my blood boil. I started doing D2 and trying to time my F2 with Superman, so I could 'try"

B2, F23, DB2 (frost breath) so that I could hopefully get off a B3...but i've done that maybe 2 times this week.

I use Batman's parry move. It comes out really quickly, too. He doesn't even need to pull his cape all the way for the parry to work, so you can kind of react to it if you're fast.

I kind of love this thread. "Halp! My son is beating my ass!" Reminds me of that 1st or 2nd season episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes to the arcade to train up and beat Bart.

Awesome that you play with your son man, more dads should.

In answer to your question, Aquaman seems like a solid choice. Easy 30% combos to pick up and learn, his trait will let you slip out of Scorpions combos and vortex set up if you use it right so you'll last longer.

Basically avoid using too many projectiles. Your Superman is probably getting wrecked because you're used to spamming the eye lasers a lot. But standing at the edge of the screen throwing stuff is a free teleport/combo for Scorpian. You could try using a grappler like Grundy. His low mobility will be frustrating, but armoured moves and gigantic (and easy) throw combos will punish/frustrate your son.

Just don't make him cry!

Oh make no mistake about it, I know exactly what I'm doing coming on here...and it's definitely as you say: "Halp! My son is beating my ass!"

I've always been the guy that researches. I can take my beating because I know that once I see what is killing me, i'll do the research to figure out how to counter it. Every time I counter one of his mastered skills, he moves onto a new character. It's definitely a cat and mouse situation...right now though he's definitely the cat and he's having a field day with this mouse.

He's pretty good about *not* crying, mostly because he has a much better win:loss record. I'm the one that cries...a lot. I have to remind myself he is my son and not one of the guys in the barracks (I played *A LOT* of Mortal Kombat on Sega Genesis in the barracks when I was active duty in the Marines). I'm usually pretty good about it, but I still get fired up time to time.

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
Jelako get a official Sony PS2 controller (or two) (see-thru new one, used ones suck) for about $22-$27 off amazon depending on if you get blue or green. Get the xtokki adapter(google it). Then you can use a PS2 controller and kiss that shitty xbox controller goodbye. I actually have an unopened xtokki adapter still in the package it was mailed in, but no xbox. I was hoping someone who has xbox (or a local tournament) would get injustice or MK but it never happened. Lemme know if you want it haha.

On a side note, funny story, now that Testyourmight is covering killer instinct I might as well mention this.

I used to play Killer Instinct 1 with my dad and he'd always say "Spinal" in the announcers voice like in the beginning of this video rotfl.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
Thanks, I haven't played doomsday (or Flash) yet. Neutral jumps makes me a little nervous because of the stupid rocker D-pad of Xbox. I constantly find myself jumping up and back which drives me bat shit crazy.

but to review: Neutral Jump > body splash to set up for combos.

I'll give it a try, but the first time I see Doomsday jump up and back...i'm gonna lose my sanity.

I feel your pain. Another good tactic is to use his down, back Y special. It's not a sure thing by any means, but Doomsdays hit-box is large enough to stuff Scorpion...or at the very least you will hit each other.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
On a side note, funny story, now that Testyourmight is covering killer instinct I might as well mention this.

I used to play Killer Instinct 1 with my dad and he'd always say "Spinal" in the announcers voice like in the beginning of this video rotfl.
Hahaha. That's awesome! I can see someone's Dad just destroying their child like Spinal in the video. The kid is screaming "C'mon Dad! No Fair!" and all Dad says is, "Too bad son! Adapt!!".

A good Superman would give you a hard time.

Let's pretend I'm not a 'good' Superman but a marginally proficient Superman...

If you're in the crouch block position and come out of it with a D2, what combo would you use? Or would you even use a D2? What should a Superman use after a successful crouch block of the teleport?

Either 111 freeze breath or the tried and true f23 freeze breath.

Is there a "pause" between the block and the execution of F23? or should I be blocking, and immediately unleash F23?

maybe I'll go with the 111...

I think one of my issues is that i get too mechanical and i'm definitely a lot SLOWER in my reaction.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Hahaha. That's awesome! I can see someone's Dad just destroying their child like Spinal in the video. The kid is screaming "C'mon Dad! No Fair!" and all Dad says is, "Too bad son! Adapt!!".
DEAL WITH IT