What's new

Baraka General Discussion

Immortal

Blind justice....
You seem to think everyone is a pro player that can easily flawless block and punish every gap every character has (including the ones they don't play).
I don't think that but i know that you balance the game based on the highest level possible not casuals, that's the reality of almost any fighting game and for a good reason.

And yes KL means something when you want to have fun with the game and also get rewards without getting constantly stumped by a specific overpowered character. I'm not saying I'm a pro, but I can certainly pull off some good 30%-50% combos online.
KL means nothing in the proces of balancing the characters or skill of the players. That was my point. You get stumped by a specific character coz you didn't lab him and don't know what to do in any given situation that character(player) can put you, which is fine. We all learn, it just takes time.

Being able to do combos means nothing. Decision making proces is everything in fighting games as a general rule. Anybody can learn combos but barely few get to be a very good players. Decisions to anticipate moves, knowing when to press and when not to press, knowing all options at any given distance of your oponnent character etc...

1. B3 is super fast to react to, especially when he also has an overhead starter.
  2. B3,1 is again not easy to just duck punish when he can easily switch to B3,2 which is a mid. I've gotten punished for trying to duck-react to B3,1 multiple times.
  3. The flawless block point I won't even respond to, because if you resort to flawless block arguments to try and justify how easy a character is to punish, then you've proven my point.
Point is, his 50-50s are insanely good and he shuts down many characters by default. Lab or no lab. Your whole argument is, Baraka is fine because high-level players can react to some of the stuff he has. But most people aren't high level players lol
1. That's 13 frames mid,low, so you always block low. Its not super fast, your standing 1 has 7F startup, thats super fast. You ALWAYS block low vs Baraka.
There is no mixup here. Baraka F3 overhead has 29F frames of startup. You can easily react to this even online, like seriously there is no mixup at all.

2. You should try to duck the 1 from B3,1 coz even if he goes B3,2 which ends in a mid it does like 5% on hit and leads to NOTHING and if you block B3,2 then its death(-13) to Baraka. The better Baraka players witll just do B3 and backdash on block, thou even this can be punished by specific characters.

3. FB point was to add to the point - chip is from Cyrax not Baraka himself. And many other characters get good chip of the same Cyrax move(raiden lightning cage into Cyrax for example). I do think Cyrax gonna get normalized thou.

Baraka has no real 50/50. You always block low and just react to a 29F overhead if needed. If you want to see true 50/50 i would watch what pro players can do with Smoke. On top of that like more then half of the cast can make safe 50/50 with Kameos, which is what you always see on higher level of play.
The game was designed to be played like that.

High level players can react to Baraka OH without fail, pretty sure even a mediocre player can coz its so slow.

Again so you wont miss the point - every fighting game is balanced around high level of players and what's possible in the game if you're a good player. Also every balancing in FG is based on offline not online experience. That will never change and for a good reason. No idea how can you even think otherwise, it makes 0 sense.

As for my point for Baraka - he is fine as a character, it's Cyrax that makes him top 5(not the best in the game). Cyrax will get nerfed and then Baraka will be just fine. If you want to see a better character, with WAY better base kit of moves, higher dmg etc... Just go and watch someone like NinjaKilla and what he can do with Raiden.

Last edited:

TheSkesh

Im Old
And they should. He literally dominates KL so far. His strings are so safe and hard to react to online, he gets so much easy pressure meter, and when you finally land a hit he's already built enough meter to break. Even his mixups are so hard to react to and punish. His overhead is the best in the game IMO. There's no other character that I struggle so much against online.
You can't react to a 29 frame over head? What?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
My favourite thing about the baraka/cyrax is being able to combo off both back and forward throw.

Yes cyrax's takes two bars but its such a great thing to have

Temptress

Edenian Empress
NRS absolutely nailed his design and he's incredibly fun to play, but the downplay here is genuinely embarrassing, LMAO. This character is arguably top 5 (this is the general consensus amongst top players, too, so the 'git gud' argument doesn't apply) and is downright unfair paired with a kameo like Cyrax. Not surprised that the person vehemently defending the state this character is in is the same person who was downplaying Kenshi when anybody without visual impairment and a basic grasp of FGs could see that character is OD. The jokes write themselves.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Without Cyrax, I don't consider Baraka to be top 5. He's still good, probably the best he's ever been. But, Cyrax is what really pushes Baraka into being a top 5 character. Cyrax grants him safety on his blockstrings, grants him the crazy 20-25% chip sequences, a combo off of his back throw, and he pushes Baraka's combo damage to 50% levels. Without Cyrax, he has no way to cover his ass if he does any of his specials in a blockstring, cause they're all unsafe.

He does still have good damage without kameos; he gets close to 40% on his kameoless B&Bs, and his neutral is still pretty good. He has incredible anti-airs, a super fast low and a safe-ish overhead(you can punish his overhead if you flawless block or up-block). It's really just Cyrax that pushes him over the top; no other Kameo grants him all these benefits.

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
NRS absolutely nailed his design and he's incredibly fun to play, but the downplay here is genuinely embarrassing, LMAO. This character is arguably top 5 (this is the general consensus amongst top players, too, so the 'git gud' argument doesn't apply) and is downright unfair paired with a kameo like Cyrax. Not surprised that the person vehemently defending the state this character is in is the same person who was downplaying Kenshi when anybody without visual impairment and a basic grasp of FGs could see that character is OD. The jokes write themselves.
Nobody is downplaying Baraka. He is Top 5 coz of Cyrax. Without Cyrax he isn't top 5 and this is also like you said consensus amongst top players.

Also i always said Kenshi is a very good character just not broken. As it stands, it still remains to be seen where he lands, coz nobody playing him in both(offline) tournaments did anything but then again "everybody" are waiting to see what Fox gonna do with him in tournaments. Time will tell. There is no need to be an ass in your opinion.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Love that all the Baraka mains here try to downplay him so he doesn't get nerfed, using the excuse "you can flawless block it". A technique that not only is hard to master, but also applies to every other character in the game:laughing:

Love that all the Baraka mains here try to downplay him so he doesn't get nerfed, using the excuse "you can flawless block it". A technique that not only is hard to master, but also applies to every other character in the game:laughing:
cyrax makes Baraka top tier. This is fact and you know it. Ignore your salt and be honest with yourself lol

projectzero00

nomnomnom
cyrax makes Baraka top tier. This is fact and you know it. Ignore your salt and be honest with yourself lol
Salt about what lol. Him getting nerfed soon? Cyrax or no Cyrax he's still top 3 in the game (for now). But even so, Kameos are part of the game and they make Baraka even better. Are you salty he will be nerfed when the patch comes? ;)

Iv mained baraka in every game he is in and it sucks that he is probably gonna get nerfed but I'll still use him anyway. Cyrax kameo makes him op with the chip and making him safe on block. And I do think he is top 5 for sure but not any more ridiculous than the other top tier characters. At least his 50 percent combo has some ( emphasize some) sort of skill with cyrax just throwing people wherever he wants. If I get touched by a good Geras, Raiden, ashra, Johnny, or even Liu Kang with the right kameo they are doing easy high damage as well. There is a ton of crazy shit in this game that hasn't probably even been discovered yet. And his OH is most definitely reactable I barely ever hit that shit online unless the person isn't really that good. I'll actually be kind if happy if he's nerfed so everytine I clearly just outplay someone I don't get hate mail calling me a tier whore lol

projectzero00

nomnomnom

Damn that Baraka Cyrax combo is unstoppable. He's so safe no matter what he does, gets meter in no time, and when he lands a hit half of your health bar is gone. Even on a high level tournament, there's little your opponent can do.

I don't think that but i know that you balance the game based on the highest level possible not casuals, that's the reality of almost any fighting game and for a good reason.
That didn't age well now did it.

Immortal

Blind justice....
What didn't age well? That tournament was over before several things was written here. You should really pay attention.

Mate i was watching that tournament live, aswell as CEO Taku. Dizzy got hit several times by stand blocking b3 as good as a player as he is, he clearly is much better then this, he barely knew the MU at that time which he admitted afterwards.

You lose 40-50% in this game from getting hit by HALF of the cast with combos into Kameos. From the time of this tournament till now, people discovered way more disgusting things with other characters and Kameos which are true 50/50 and lead into crazy damage into pressure after it.

Flavour of the week is Lao Kameo which enables crazy things with Cage and - which is funny - Lao into Lao and on top of other things it gives any character good (anti)/zoning.

For the last time, Cyrax enables Baraka, without Cyrax which will get nerfed, Baraka is nothing special. We all think Baraka/Cyrax is Top 5 but not the best in the game. Nothing changed since last few days. Please, dont quote me again if you have nothing of worth to add.

Last edited:

Damn that Baraka Cyrax combo is unstoppable. He's so safe no matter what he does, gets meter in no time, and when he lands a hit half of your health bar is gone. Even on a high level tournament, there's little your opponent can do.

That didn't age well now did it.
His quote for sure aged well, thats how all fighting games are.

lol at you and your weird little one man smear campaign vs Baraka.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Dizzy got hit several times by stand blocking b3 as good as a player as he is, he clearly is much better then this, he barely knew the MU at that time which he admitted afterwards.

For the last time, Cyrax enables Baraka, without Cyrax which will get nerfed, Baraka is nothing special. We all think Baraka/Cyrax is Top 5 but not the best in the game. Nothing changed since last few days. Please, dont quote me again if you have nothing of worth to add.
Mate, you are seriously reaching with the whole "Cyrax is the ONLY reason Baraka is enabled to be so good". You said characters get nerfed depending on high-level play, and here it is: high level play. That tournament proves our point. Baraka destroyed every single character in the top 8, yet you're still trying to make a point that somehow Baraka is just "ok". No matter how many tournaments he wins, you're gonna come back and try to find flaws in what his opponents did or didn't do, instead of admitting he's just too good.

With Cyrax he's currently the top character in the game, without him top 3 definitely. The downplaying of his mains here is absolutely hilarious :laughing:

His quote for sure aged well, thats how all fighting games are.

lol at you and your weird little one man smear campaign vs Baraka.
Lol at you and every other Baraka main downplaying him trynna hope NRS doesn't nerf him. I think you'll find that every person that doesn't main Baraka feels the same way as me, one man smear campaign my ass lol

Mate, you are seriously reaching with the whole "Cyrax is the ONLY reason Baraka is enabled to be so good". You said characters get nerfed depending on high-level play, and here it is: high level play. That tournament proves our point. Baraka destroyed every single character in the top 8, yet you're still trying to make a point that somehow Baraka is just "ok". No matter how many tournaments he wins, you're gonna come back and try to find flaws in what his opponents did or didn't do, instead of admitting he's just too good.

With Cyrax he's currently the top character in the game, without him top 3 definitely. The downplaying of his mains here is absolutely hilarious :laughing:

Lol at you and every other Baraka main downplaying him trynna hope NRS doesn't nerf him. I think you'll find that every person that doesn't main Baraka feels the same way as me, one man smear campaign my ass lol
I'm not trying to be mean but this is total bullshit dude, lol. Top 3 without Cyrax??? You're out of your mind. What is it about Baraka's base kit that you find so insanely OP? Show me a single other tournament with a Baraka in top eight not using Cyrax. Even the pro's agree without Cyrax Baraka is not top 5. I have never heard a single other person say Baraka is top 3 without Cyrax, that is literally only you. You almost give me hope for the character if it wasn't so painfully obvious you have never used him.

I hope you are whining for nerfs as hard in the Kenshi, Johnny, Raiden, Mileena, and Lui forums.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Show me a single other tournament with a Baraka in top eight not using Cyrax.
Show me one without Baraka.

Even the pro's agree without Cyrax Baraka is not top 5.
Who? Show us the receipts.

I have never heard a single other person say Baraka is top 3 without Cyrax, that is literally only you.
Well guess what Mimi, Cyrax is in the game. And Baraka is top 1 with him currently in the meta. That means the whole combo needs nerfing cause it's overpowered.

I hope you are whining for nerfs as hard in the Kenshi, Johnny, Raiden, Mileena, and Lui forums.
Lol if you think Mileena and Liu Kang are nearly as good as Baraka, you're delusional. Are Baraka mains here under the impression the NRS are on this thread 24/7 or something, and you trynna downplay the crap out of him so they don't nerf his ass? Lol, there's no fuckin way it ain't happening so just get used to the fact that you're not gonna have such easy autopilot wins next KL. It's ok, you'll live.

Show me one without Baraka.

Who? Show us the receipts.

Well guess what Mimi, Cyrax is in the game. And Baraka is top 1 with him currently in the meta. That means the whole combo needs nerfing cause it's overpowered.

Lol if you think Mileena and Liu Kang are nearly as good as Baraka, you're delusional. Are Baraka mains here under the impression the NRS are on this thread 24/7 or something, and you trynna downplay the crap out of him so they don't nerf his ass? Lol, there's no fuckin way it ain't happening so just get used to the fact that you're not gonna have such easy autopilot wins next KL. It's ok, you'll live.
Bro, everyone here thinks baraka and cyrax are top tier, absolutely. YOU continually say Baraka is top 3 even without Cyrax (as in with a different kameo), and when I or anybody press you for examples or reasoning you basically say you don't need to because Cyrax is in the game. You (seemingly) have zero argument and zero examples of Baraka being top tier with a different kameo.

If Cyrax got nerfed into oblivion, like removed from the game basically, what do you think Baraka would still need nerfed??? I'm gonna need you to focus allllll of your mental energy on this question. Resist the urge to bring up Cyrax as hard as you can, squeeze those little hands into fists or bite down on something if you need to.

And as far as pros on Baraka, I have yet to see a pro discuss Baraka WITHOUT Cyrax. Off the top of my head for example Sonicfox in their tweet, listing the top 5, includes Baraka WITH Cyrax. No other top five character has a kameo mentioned. As in they are top regardless of kameo, in case you need me to spell it out for you.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Lads id suggest not to try engage in intelligent conversation with @projectzero00

This site has a great function where you can mute users and not have to see thier posts if you didnt know.

Man your cleary off your rocker

The comments about baraka overhead, him being save on everything, the flawless block comments amongst other things....i dont even know where to start man because you clearly dont want to educate yourself by the way youvr chosen to take to other people letting you know where wrong.

I dont want a reply to this message as o said i think your off your rocker so dont really want a back and forth of any kind, this is just somewhat of a "warning" that if you dont stop spamming essays long posts full of shite ill just clean the thread of all this nonsense to better aid to players baraka and other wise who would like to talk with a bit of a sense on reality (i know its the internet so that asking alot lol but dont know a better way phrase it)

So tdlr, play nice and maybe try listen to thr people trying to help yourself level up some baraka mu knowledge

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
This is what I missed about this place...actual back and forth debate over move viability and player tendencies in real matches at varying levels of skill.

I aint been around since Injustice 1 and MKX and yall still holding down solid tech talk. Came here hopin for deep dives and already found em. Eager to see if Baraka finally has a game hes high tier or top tier in. Been waitin since like MK2 for this.

Throwing my chips in with projectzero on this one on him bein solid though for a general longview of how these things have played in the past since debating month 1 frames in an NRS title is like talking bout player stats on a guy who hasnt finished the season yet thats prone for injury lol. When your high/low options are solid even if they guess right your gonna have some dirt. Damage output or an inability to close distance will be the only gatekeepers for characters like that historically. The former seems something hes aight with but the latter does raise a few concerns as folks learn movement and how to stifle the screen with experience. Honestly in this game that just means a swap from Cyrax Kameo to Kung Lao.

Definitely feels like a happy pressure character i can see things with in my future. Maybe not the omega so guapo that im hearing but he is good. If I could tough out the Injustice Green Arrow damage and pressure options I can definitely enjoy this.

I predict if he gets a nerf later itd be to make Cyrax less his end all choice and likely would involve if he lost something then theyd likely make his overhead faster which would make him work better with Kung Laos low hat. Thats theory talk but I wont be surprised if he shifts around a bit down the line and we go from pure cyrax spins to low hat heel kick overheads bein the big select screen debate for players. If that occurred itd probably be due to some sorta damage nerf or recovery frame change that would make him jail less or not threaten with chip pressure as well as his current form.

Its late and im just trying to predict stuff atm before committing to a main.

Last edited:

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Chip damage is kind of Baraka’s gimmick in this game. His fatal blow, EX spark and EX db+1 place a debuff on the opponent that makes them take increased chip damage. The debuff is pretty short, at like 5-6 seconds. But the increase is very noticeable if he’s packing a kameo like Cyrax.

NRS really wants the playerbase to flawless block. It might be hard to learn, but if it was easy, then what’s the point? May as well go back to MK11 at that point.