What's new

Tech Bane debuff reset

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Because by everyone's reactions thus far its not tech that has been openly documented. This is a write up detailing it.

Unless you're asking "why is this important", and they changed our venom buff/debuff to be the same across the board so I mean its handy when you have excess meter and don't want to deal with the extra debuff. Its an option, but its one that hasn't been mentioned yet.
You guys should just petition them to remove the negative effects instead. It's a very pointless design to hold back the character in a creative sense.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
You guys should just petition them to remove the negative effects instead. It's a very pointless design to hold back the character in a creative sense.
then our venom time should be greatly reduced as an effect

or

longer periods of cooldown to match the 18 seconds of venom

either way I think Bane wouldn't be much better as he would then not be able to access his venom as readily. removing his debuff without other consequence would make him unfair as he would be able to constantly shift the momentum in his favor easily, and then still be able to do high damage with meter and not suffer for it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Nah, the debuffs are fine. I honestly have never had a problem with them because their purpose is something that we, the players, are in control of and must act responsibly about.
You don't use venom properly? You get that debuff and suffer the consequences. You do? Its never really a problem unless you have no defense.

SUPARNOVAX

I just think the design of the debuffs is stupid in itself compared to everyone else's traits.

RIF

Noob
I just think the design of the debuffs is stupid in itself compared to everyone else's traits.
Right, so since this design exists, he's pretty much bottom 10.
Are these serious posts? Stupid design? The trait is overpowered. Bottom 10? No way. You can't punish him when he's in debuff mode half of the time due to the speed of back-dash OR when the trait is refreshing between rounds.

SUPARNOVAX

Nah, you guys can't try to downplay him and then act like he can be top 10.

He really still can't be top 10 after the patch. You won't really see any good Bane's taking top 3/top8 at relevent events. Maybe when more people stop playing the game later on but at the current state, it's still not going to really happen.

He has tricks but even with the defense boost it's not enough because he's at an inherit disadvantage overall due to how the game is designed. Which is why I'd rather see and play this game if they removed that hindrance that's all.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
He really still can't be top 10 after the patch. You won't really see any good Bane's taking top 3/top8 at relevent events. Maybe when more people stop playing the game later on but at the current state, it's still not going to really happen.
Figure I'll mention a bane got top 5 at NEC. So I guess they will (he used the debuff reset a few times too)

SUPARNOVAX

Figure I'll mention a bane got top 5 at NEC. So I guess they will (he used the debuff reset a few times too)
Get back to me in a year if this game is still alive and relevant. I love the character but he's not top ten material. The NEC win is cool, but when a few people go into the lab with Bane and learn some gimmicks, it's back to the bottom of the barrel IMO.

And regarding the debuff timers... it isn't something that is groundbreaking for Bane, it's really more about using the cinematics to run the timer off so you don't get punished heavily. The damage is still penalized regardless.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Get back to me in a year if this game is still alive and relevant. I love the character but he's not top ten material. The NEC win is cool, but when a few people go into the lab with Bane and learn some gimmicks, it's back to the bottom of the barrel IMO.

And regarding the debuff timers... it isn't something that is groundbreaking for Bane, it's really more about using the cinematics to run the timer off so you don't get punished heavily. The damage is still penalized regardless.
Max also places high consistently at GGA, and that's fighting the guy who swept through the entire NEC with mid-tier characters and other very strong contenders who have constant practice against Bane and his moves. People still fall for 113xcharge DaOv, frame traps, and tick throws. Hell, they still fall for things we did in May. Bane is a solid upper mid, maybe not top 10 but he is up there. If the game is still alive in a year, Bane will probably still be at the upper area of it.

Depends. You can clash off your own level 3 debuff, and if the opponent tries to wake-up when your on level 3 cooldown and you can transition them (Bane's Mb b.3 beats A LOT of stuff) you can usually still cap up about 25%-30%. But avoiding 50% increased damage in general is better for us than not doing so, especially since we build meter so easily. You can have your opinion on the matter, but even if its not groundbreaking its something that's good to know and finds its usefulness in a lot of matches.

Get back to me in a year if this game is still alive and relevant. I love the character but he's not top ten material.
I'm still utterly baffled by this mentality of downplaying the hype of the game post-patch. Didn't anyone see NEC and didn't Ultradavid post it continuously on his twitter account? And what will happen if Frosty Faustings Injustice prove hype once again? What's the next shifting goal-post of gloom and doom?

The NEC win is cool, but when a few people go into the lab with Bane and learn some gimmicks, it's back to the bottom of the barrel IMO.
And then this one... did anyone not see Grrr's Bane in NEC where he only lost to PPJ and Noobe, in-arguably the best Hawgirl (as well as top 3 Lex) and the best Doomsday. Where are those top 3/5 characters in all of the TYM tier list? Where's MMH, Batgirl, Zod?

Stop nuthugging the tier lists - this is a new world order. What's on paper doesn't always translate to results since in this game you always have to take account of:
  • theories of general matchup knowledge (what to punish, how to punish, general metagame)
  • practical info of player level of matchup (PPJ's Lex dealt quite handily with Grrrr's Bane despite him going even with EmperorMax's Bane meaning Grrrr hasn't handled a Lex of PPJ's level)
  • bracketology (match-up and player-wise)
  • random select stages (exposure and knowledge of great and bad stages for each character)

SUPARNOVAX

Happy New Years!

Max also places high consistently at GGA, and that's fighting the guy who swept through the entire NEC with mid-tier characters and other very strong contenders who have constant practice against Bane and his moves. People still fall for 113xcharge DaOv, frame traps, and tick throws. Hell, they still fall for things we did in May. Bane is a solid upper mid, maybe not top 10 but he is up there. If the game is still alive in a year, Bane will probably still be at the upper area of it.

Depends. You can clash off your own level 3 debuff, and if the opponent tries to wake-up when your on level 3 cooldown and you can transition them (Bane's Mb b.3 beats A LOT of stuff) you can usually still cap up about 25%-30%. But avoiding 50% increased damage in general is better for us than not doing so, especially since we build meter so easily. You can have your opinion on the matter, but even if its not groundbreaking its something that's good to know and finds its usefulness in a lot of matches.
I'm still utterly baffled by this mentality of downplaying the hype of the game post-patch. Didn't anyone see NEC and didn't Ultradavid post it continuously on his twitter account? And what will happen if Frosty Faustings Injustice prove hype once again? What's the next shifting goal-post of gloom and doom?

And then this one... did anyone not see Grrr's Bane in NEC where he only lost to PPJ and Noobe, in-arguably the best Hawgirl (as well as top 3 Lex) and the best Doomsday. Where are those top 3/5 characters in all of the TYM tier list? Where's MMH, Batgirl, Zod?

Stop nuthugging the tier lists - this is a new world order. What's on paper doesn't always translate to results since in this game you always have to take account of:
  • theories of general matchup knowledge (what to punish, how to punish, general metagame)
  • practical info of player level of matchup (PPJ's Lex dealt quite handily with Grrrr's Bane despite him going even with EmperorMax's Bane meaning Grrrr hasn't handled a Lex of PPJ's level)
  • bracketology (match-up and player-wise)
  • random select stages (exposure and knowledge of great and bad stages for each character)
People are falling for those things because they don't know the match up. Which is why I don't really consider Grr's placing at NEC to be relevant in regards to solidfying the character as being really good. He did good enough but people haven't figured it and a lot of them got randomed out until people that fought Grr in the last matches let him hang himself to death. Max is good. I saw Frosty Faustings and for once seeing people use Bane better is refreshing. Hopefully the gameplay progression stays consistent and people don't fall off this game too much by EVO2k14.

There's a lot of maturing that needs to happen for Bane and his match ups which is why I made a comment about seeing by how stuff turns out if people are still playing the game. I don't try to downplay the character or look at tier lists much, you assume too much so. I play characters, I put my time in, I exchange thoughts with people on here (including Ultradavid sometimes), social networking, in-game, and very few offline since Next Level's IGAU players have "died." The character isn't good enough to be top ten out of a roster of 30 or so characters. There's just a lot of fundamental designs of the game that come into play causing me to feel that way and I personally don't feel he's even mid tier; it's a long stretch.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
You can have that opinion, but when GGA is taking 5/8 spots in a semi-major with a lot of good names in it, and Max is taking 1st at the GGA tourney where all of the juggernauts go and know the Bane MU thoroughly, one has to wonder if its just MU knowledge making them lose.

I mean I'm pretty sure GGA 16 Bit GGA pimpimjim and them are pretty familiar with the Bane MU and when 16 bit commentates he calls Max's moves before they even come out, and he is mostly right on about it. I think its more when your actually in the match, things seem a lot less obvious than watching from the side. Its easy to say "How could he fall for that DaOv?" when watching from the crowd.

I've noticed that some commentators (I think at the Atlanta weekly?) are still unaware that level 1 and level 3 venom debuff time become the same after a transition. Should this information be signal boosted, or should we keep this our little secret?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
People who care will know, but Atlanta has an incomplete meta so they wouldn't really know anything about it.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Wait soo...instead of being a t debuff lvl 3, ur only at debuff lvl 1?? o-0 im confused.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Wait soo...instead of being a t debuff lvl 3, ur only at debuff lvl 1?? o-0 im confused.
:|
If you do any cinematic when you're on venom, you get set to that cooldown.
If you do any cinematic when you're on cooldown, regardless of what cooldown you're on it resets to level 1 venom cooldown.