What's new

Question Bad habits

A common plight I hear to playing online is developing bad habits. My question is what are these bad habits? I'm assuming since I don't know I have them. If it's things like teleporting being somewhat safe because of lag then whatever. But if it's something major I would like to know

Noob
Pressing buttons while you're negative.
That's debatable. If im fighting someone like Erron, Cyber Sub, Tremor, and I do (-3 to -5) move. Im a just spam D1 because, lack of mids :DOGE

Well of course, only until my opponent catches on and starts counter poking lol.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
That's debatable. If im fighting someone like Erron, Cyber Sub, Tremor, and I do (-3 to -5) move. Im a just spam D1 because, lack of mids :DOGE

Well of course, only until my opponent catches on and starts counter poking lol.
Pretty much haha. Same against leatherface. It works at firs tbut eventually the D3 beats all.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
Being defensive too much is a bad habit especially using a character that is offensive. Fear of getting teleported or hit by projectiles explains why you would be in the defensive side too much while you shouldn't be is also a bad habit.

CrazyFingers

I like this topic so now explain what comes next in this mindgame.
Ok so basically when you are like -2 or -1 (sometimes -3) that is about the only time where pressing buttons is acceptable (stagger game and such, a poke that is one frame slower is still pretty damn fast) however when you start getting higher up (-4, -5 and such) is when you should STOP pressing buttons afterwards. It becomes the other person's turn. However if they keep doing a high after your negative string/normal/special, you can read that and go for a poke to low profile the high. If the opponent starts catching on, they can go for either a fast mid or a poke of their own in hopes to catch your poke. BUT! If they then block the attempt to counter your counter poke, it becomes that person's turn once more because you are negative after that poke now and then the cycle continues.

Skedar70

Noob
Playing online doesn't necessarily mean you get bad habits. You develop bad habits by playing bad people who fall for the same things, never punish you, you play predictably because they never stop you from doing the same things, they never adapt. So you get all these bad habits and then someone who will adapt, punish etc will mop you.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
A bad habit is thinking you can mash buttons even after you have been hit by a poke. +15 on hit, 7f jab but you still mashin like why?

The best is when they successfully beat your high followup and say "bro thats not real. You have to follow up with a mid or it doesnt work."

Agreed especially tremor whose probably got the best stagger string pressure in the game. Dem juicy rock cancels. Their fun as shit to do though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
A common plight I hear to playing online is developing bad habits. My question is what are these bad habits? I'm assuming since I don't know I have them. If it's things like teleporting being somewhat safe because of lag then whatever. But if it's something major I would like to know
Following a pattern is a bad habit everyone has them.

"A fighter can change his habits when his opponent finds out the pattern, but habits aren't things that can be changed that easy"

- Goku -

CrazyFingers

"A fighter can change his habits when his opponent finds out the pattern, but habits aren't things that can be changed that easy"

- Goku -
You're on a real Goku kick today huh Eddy? :p

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You're on a real Goku kick today huh Eddy? :p
i already knew about this, but seeing him saying something about it, realized is just like in fighting games.

Everyone i've ever faced despite they learn that i can see they pattern, they can try the hardest to avoid it, but at one point or another, they will forget about it and will fall under the same pattern, which is where you should be waiting for them for all cases.

I tend to jump forward when i'm knocked down, only when i'm punished by it is that i realized i've done it unconsciously sometimes

- Goku -
Fighting advice from a saiyan and a saiyan god nonetheless.

A bad habit is thinking you can mash buttons even after you have been hit by a poke. +15 on hit, 7f jab but you still mashin like why?

The best is when they successfully beat your high followup and say "bro thats not real. You have to follow up with a mid or it doesnt work."
It's the jump back 1 after a D4 that makes me rage

Ok so basically when you are like -2 or -1 (sometimes -3) that is about the only time where pressing buttons is acceptable (stagger game and such, a poke that is one frame slower is still pretty damn fast) however when you start getting higher up (-4, -5 and such) is when you should STOP pressing buttons afterwards. It becomes the other person's turn. However if they keep doing a high after your negative string/normal/special, you can read that and go for a poke to low profile the high. If the opponent starts catching on, they can go for either a fast mid or a poke of their own in hopes to catch your poke. BUT! If they then block the attempt to counter your counter poke, it becomes that person's turn once more because you are negative after that poke now and then the cycle continues.
So what's your preferred reaction in this scenario? I usually armor to show I will do so and get you to jump then d1 and convert.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Pretty much what Skedar70 said. When you play online you often face people who are not on a high level, so you get used to doing things good players would blow up, like jumping a lot, or waking up every time.

Falling into patterns, breaking every time you get touched, wasting meter on moves that give little reward, throwing unsafe specials that give little reward, jumping over you opponent when they are in the corner. You get away with things like this a lot more when playing online, so they can become second nature and end up hurting you when playing against a more skilled opponent.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
There are a few things online players are massively guilty of, but its understandable as it sometimes works over the space of a few games online and it might get you a few wins when nothing matters, but it will never hold up during an offline event vs many players over the space of many games.

1. Constant jumping or running as the only forms of movement or mobility.
2. Not hit confirming pokes. (Varying connection speeds will compensate this heavily)
3. Jumping or fear of doing nothing in the neutral when a certain amount of time has elapsed.
4. Fear of being pressured or blocking, and only playing a game in which you assert your own offence.
5. Constant wake ups or armoured moves under little to no pressure.

We are all guilty of this, but if you can phase this stuff out as much as possible, it can make anyone better. Playing online will be tricky to do this though as it is a different set of rules.