What's new

Back to block

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Which is precisely why MK needs fast rising moves( shoryu type) or guard push from crouch. Nrs knows this which is why Injustice put guard push in. That kind of pressure is braindead, especially since you're being rewarded with chip. If the pressured opponent had a dp or guard push then you wouldn't see so much of that constant attack shit, but they don't. Luckily Injustice has push, so yeah, good luck with trying to "rainman" auto pressure if guard push is in it.
I understand your opinion, but the game works the way it is. There is Armor in the game for those that don't want to worry to much and a fair portion of the kast even has Safe Armor. You don't have to make MK more like Street Fighter for it to be good. It's good as it is.

Pressure in MK9 is just different. That was my point. Most attacks are neutral on block. On Defense people kan poke but there are set ups to counter act that. Even just blocking after an attack is a valid way to deter poking since it leaves you at advantage when you block a poke.

MK doesn't need a plethora of invincible moves. I personally don't even think it will work out well. It'll make things either too easy or too stupid. Either the damage of the invincible move is high and people abuse it. Or it's low and people refrain themselves from using it to avoid being punished. That's assuming it's both unsafe and invincible, if it's safe and invincible then that's just a retarded mechanic. Armor is already good as it is since they at least take damage and burn meter.

SLy

Noob
Its clear that NRS wants to evolve and get rid of the block button mechanic for MK.. But they know the MK community would never allow their game to change that..

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Its clear that NRS wants to evolve and get rid of the block button mechanic for MK.. But they know the MK community would never allow their game to change that..
A well balanced MK game with back to block would be welcomed to me, but definitely not the majority. Every MK game has had a block button. It would be cray without one.

Reactions: SLy

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Hopefully this game will not include the unblockable set-ups of SF or be option select heavy like sf4 were the game plays itself for you.
The unblockables in SFIV are this: hard-to-block crossup scenarios that work because of how funky they made the hurtboxes during block animations in the game. In order to replicate this, you have to make the exact same mistakes the SFIV team did during development.

And IGAU is clearly heavily based on MK9's engine, likely down to the input registration as well, so chances are some of the very few option selects we see in MK9 may be present in IGAU.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
this is stupid holding back to block doesn't build fundamentals it takes just as much skill to block something with a button as with holding back. It all comes down to knowledge and guessing. Hopefully this game will not include the unblockable set-ups of SF or be option select heavy like sf4 were the game plays itself for you.
Maaaaaaayynneee... they are your opinions but ssf4ae2012turboultraalphax doesnt play it self no matter how much you think it does, it doesnt look like you have played any back to block games for long periods or you as a person just dont agree with the way your eyes transfer information to your brain and then translates then to finger movements

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
The unblockables in SFIV are this: hard-to-block crossup scenarios that work because of how funky they made the hurtboxes during block animations in the game. In order to replicate this, you have to make the exact same mistakes the SFIV team did during development.

And IGAU is clearly heavily based on MK9's engine, likely down to the input registration as well, so chances are some of the very few option selects we see in MK9 may be present in IGAU.
I'm quite aware of how they work Dontay. I stopped playing sf4 a little before their discovery though. I feel very hype for this game, and I feel like if time allows this may be my next competitive fighter. I think people are putting way too much emphasis on holding back to block though. Like it never really bothers me much when I switch back and forth, but I have been playing FG's since I was a kid. I feel like blocking is something that comes with knowledge, and understanding of the characters not something that can improve our "horrible" fundamentals

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Maaaaaaayynneee... they are your opinions but ssf4ae2012turboultraalphax doesnt play it self no matter how much you think it does, it doesnt look like you have played any back to block games for long periods or you as a person just dont agree with the way your eyes transfer information to your brain and then translates then to finger movements
Dude i was the top 25 Dan in North America in SSF4. I have been playing games that require me to hold back to block since SF2 vanilla edition.
SF2
SF2 CE
SF2ST
SF3
SF3 2nd impact
SF3 3rd strike
SF alpha
SF alpha 2
SF alpha 3
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Gold
SF HD remix
Vampire Saviour
Vampire Saviour 2
Vampire Saviour 3
I think I know how to block when it comes down to holding back. I feel like sf4 plays itself that's my opinion. I have my reasons. I don't hate it I love the series I just feel like it's one of the worst sf's.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm quite aware of how they work Dontay. I stopped playing sf4 a little before their discovery though. I feel very hype for this game, and I feel like if time allows this may be my next competitive fighter. I think people are putting way too much emphasis on holding back to block though. Like it never really bothers me much when I switch back and forth, but I have been playing FG's since I was a kid. I feel like blocking is something that comes with knowledge, and understanding of the characters not something that can improve our "horrible" fundamentals
It's not necessarily the crossups that are huge, it's the ways back-to-block is implemented, and everything else done to accomodate for this. No block button = dashes can no longer be cancelled, which puts a larger emphasis on being able to abuse walking. This is simply further emphasised by the choice of contact blocking, which eliminates whiffing normals to lock you into place (This is largely due to the existence of strings).

Back-to-block will definitely help improve our fundamentals in FGs altogether, but for completely different reasons than knowing how to block crossups. Some people aren't seeing that still, but just watch as the game progresses. In all honesty, every mechanic we've seen for IGAU so far looks to scream spacing and positioning.

Error

DF2+R2
I agree with command grabs, but as far as links go I think they should most definitely look into it. I just think it's dumb how Jax can be +23 after hitting a standing 1 AA grab and not be able to continue a combo. There are a few other reasons but that is the big one for me, well that and the fact that most links I use in street fighter I use are only 1-2 frame windows and I feel players should be rewarded for proper timing and such and get more damage or advantage rather than everyone being able to just chain everything and get the damage without a lot of effort.
Would Sonya's F22MS cancel be considered a link? I always thought there should be links in MK9 considering all these normals/specials that are +10 and up on hit and can't be combo'd with.

I think some dial strings should still be left in though

this is stupid holding back to block doesn't build fundamentals it takes just as much skill to block something with a button as with holding back. It all comes down to knowledge and guessing. Hopefully this game will not include the unblockable set-ups of SF or be option select heavy like sf4 were the game plays itself for you.
you do realize that holding back to block means you can't walk forward and block and not lose any ground right? In any SF game you didn't want to just block because you either 1) walked yourself to the corner or 2) downbacking which mean you can't block high so you're giving the opponent the oppurtunity to jump in.

not really directed to you but...

unblockable or the correct term "just-frame" blocks in SF are pretty much only in SF4. its due to the coding of hitbox and hurt box that allowed such a thing to exist.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
you do realize that holding back to block means you can't walk forward and block and not lose any ground right? In any SF game you didn't want to just block because you either 1) walked yourself to the corner or 2) downbacking which mean you can't block high so you're giving the opponent the oppurtunity to jump in.

not really directed to you but...

unblockable or the correct term "just-frame" blocks in SF are pretty much only in SF4. its due to the coding of hitbox and hurt box that allowed such a thing to exist.
Yes I clearly understand what understand how to play sf i have played every Sf since SF2. the thing is its not tat big of a deal as y'all are amke it out to be. I understand how those unblockables work and how to defend against them. MK9 isn't my first fighting game nor is it my first competitive one so I know a great a deal about how other games work, the meta behind them, The point I'm trying to make was that everything you are going to have to know in injustice you should already be somewhat doing in MK. You should know spacing, how a hitbox works, how frame data works, how screen positioning works, what combos work better where and why. Those are fundamental tings that aren't gonna change. Holding back to block doesn't restrict your movement as much as you think it does. In Ssf4, and SS$AE2012 I play Deejay A charge character which means I'm constantly holding Down/back. I have to hold down back when I Jump I have to hold it during my normals, I have to know how to buffer it for my dash ultra2 to work. It's not gonna change much. Maybe I'm just speaking for me, but that is my opinion from my experiences

Siky

Noob
As long as the game doesn't have SF4 style "Hard to Block-ables", it should be fine. Block button is fine and all, but as you get better as a player, certain characters get screwed by the Block Button. Imagine how different Scorpion would be if MK9 had back to block. High/Low/Side-Switch mix-ups.

If what many of you are saying is true, and there is a greater depth as far as footsies go, then I'm excited about this inclusion. It isn't as though just because someone has grown up on MK that they are incapable of adapting to the new block system.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You can't cancel a dash now -- but if you hold back in the middle of a dash, and an attack connects with you, will you block it?