What's new

Back to block

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
I dont know if its been said but i believe that this will vastly improve players fundimentals

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy

I don't really understand how "ambiguous" attacks and unblockables being the way to open people up is seen as a reason SF > MK or back > block button and not seen as fucking random and stupid.
It's random if you don't know how to block em, reads I suppose. It's better than holding block 24/7. And back to block opens up offensive play. How is auto correct blocking not stupid too?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
It's random if you don't know how to block em, reads I suppose. It's better than holding block 24/7. And back to block opens up offensive play. How is auto correct blocking not stupid too?
I think he meant the whole "back to block is superior to a block button" mentality is stupid. I wish I could find the person who said mk will never be competitive until it adopts back to block right before mk9 dropped. :) Getting back into mk was a rough process for me, having played sf4 since it came out. Full screen scorpion spears were still hitting me! "F***! I forgot there was a BLOCK BUTTON!" :p

There is skill in blocking, and having no idea how to tell what way to block and it becomes a coin flip, which AE is full of, and I'm sure there will be a pile of silly shit in injustice.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
I used to be against this, but after playing SF a lot recently, I've really come to appreciate how this really opens up the footsies game. I would never want to change MK, but I like the idea that an "MK-like" game is going to have this feature

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
There is skill in blocking, and having no idea how to tell what way to block and it becomes a coin flip, which AE is full of, and I'm sure there will be a pile of silly shit in injustice.
I think thats a little harsh, its all about spacing afterall. I'm not immune to crossups, but I like to think I can generally pick the right direction to block based on the jump of my opponent. Its not really a guess when you get the spacing down, and Injustice has some pretty good looking AA's so there's always that.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
There is skill in blocking, and having no idea how to tell what way to block and it becomes a coin flip.
That's not true bro, its like complaining about the poke mechanics in MK and saying "it becomes a coin flip to poke out of Kabal/JC's pressure" it only is if you don't know the characters. When you do, then it just becomes another element to the game

I think it also comes down to knowing hitboxes and just knowing if the cross up is landing forward/backward. Like, how come all these high level players are blocking it? There is a strategy behind it.

Hmmm, as far as the visual part of block button, people tap block so much its hard to really say for sure he still will be blocking when you act on it?

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
notice i said fundimentals, on your point of ambigious / unblockables they are what is better grouped together as tech, remember infinites remember resets thoes are tech aswell and people spend alot of time to find these out they dont just appear out of thin air.

unblockables can be fixed they are hitbox based

ambigious crossups come with back to block

This message is brought to you by The Hateocracy

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Certain attacks will x-up, certain won't. You'll figure the correct spacing out for each character through normal play through (and now because of CPU record function, you can set anything up now in training mode as well). And at the most, you'll figure out how to punish x-up attempts with good Anti Air.

The whole back to block system is easy enough to get to grip to though. The real difficulty comes when your opponent does ambiguous x-up (especially after hard knock down), then it becomes a guessing game.

Tl;dr: you'll get used to it fast.

Also, you should know if you're in cross up range, just like MK. You can just walk back or dash back and I'm pretty sure it'll hit in front.

back to block opens up the footsie game because if you keep trying to hold back to block you lose space. If you decide to downback then you're opening yourself to high attacks. Its way more strategical then using a block button. A block button negates the cost of being defensive. If MK didn't have everything does chip damage, guess what would happen if people were in sizable leads? they would just block all day and just tech throws.

With the back to block you can't do that because you still have to block ambiguous cross ups and other stuff. Also to mention that you're probably going to be in the corner if you are just pressing back and turtling.

Reactions: SLy

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Back to block will definitely expose the MK players(that will play IGAU) that are free to crossups and mindgames. Stay free block button noobs.

jk

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
I don't really understand how "ambiguous" attacks and unblockables being the way to open people up is seen as a reason SF > MK or back > block button and not seen as fucking random and stupid.
Nothing random about something you can predict and block properly or learn to do and time as an offensive tool properly.

Its straight up more advanced footsies. It makes people have to be better at reading you to beat you and vice versa. It also creates more options on approach and makes people try bigger risks. Not a single random thing about any of it. It forces you both to level up your skills on offensive reads and setups as well as defensive footsies and blocking. Having a catch all "nope" button is pretty tame compared to this.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
The main thing I think might be kind of stupid about it is baiting and back walking for spacing is a strategic part of mk now, is there even going to be back walking or just back jumping or back dashing? As we all know jumping often is generally a bad idea.

The main thing I think might be kind of stupid about it is baiting and back walking for spacing is a strategic part of mk now, is there even going to be back walking or just back jumping or back dashing? As we all know jumping often is generally a bad idea.
Back walking is still viable, you only block when something actually hits, and Injustice is contact based from what I hear, not proximity, so it's even more viable.

First things first tho, stop trying to apply MK9s meta into Injustice or any other FG.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Back walking is still viable, you only block when something actually hits, and Injustice is contact based from what I hear, not proximity, so it's even more viable.

First things first tho, stop trying to apply MK9s meta into Injustice or any other FG.
I know it's not going to be like MK but still, NRS doesn't always have to reinvent the wheel or in this case make a different version of it. Capcom's philosophy of if it's not broken don't fix it seems to have served them well enough. I enjoy change, I just don't think with the success of MK9 under their belt they should make a huge amount of drastic changes to their trademark game style. You would think the appeal of an all DC game might attract fans more than a more capcom style like game.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I know it's not going to be like MK but still, NRS doesn't always have to reinvent the wheel or in this case make a different version of it. Capcom's philosophy of if it's not broken don't fix it seems to have served them well enough. I enjoy change, I just don't think with the success of MK9 under their belt they should make a huge amount of drastic changes to their trademark game style. You would think the appeal of an all DC game might attract fans more than a more capcom style like game.
SF is currently broken atm so maybe they should welcome change lol. Not every game is the same on the Capcom side. MvC and SF are made by two different teams.